Feedback???

Re: Feedback???

Postby keirweir » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:15 pm

Have
strumminsix wrote:Keir, myself and others gave a lot of suggested. What have you tested / ruled out?
a list if suggestions and potential issues but no time to do anything yet.

Absolutely nothing... I haven't had the time to pick up a guitar never mind test equipment. But, I do have some good area's to begin I just need to find the time. I'm glad KCJones chimmed in today because it throws my "Wolph works find comment out".
keirweir

Postby playingdead » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:56 pm

KCJones wrote:It's possible you're on the wrong track with it being the guitar. I've had microphonic preamp tube feedback issues from a bad tube that only occured with my PRS Custom guitar, but not my G&L ASAT. Humbucker vs. single, hotter, wireing ... who knows why. But in the end it was the preamp tube. The issue was amplified by the OD, again, just with the PRS. Had every symptom you described.

I have the identical problem with my Resurrection guitar ... and I play through an AxeFX, no preamp tubes in there, microphonic or otherwise.
playingdead

Postby waldo041 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:32 pm

What does resurrection use for pickup height, springs or rubber?

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby keirweir » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:58 am

waldo041 wrote:What does resurrection use for pickup height, springs or rubber?

~waldo

Waldo, that's a great question I will investigate this asap. I’ll message Pat today to see if he can remember.

Vic, that's so strange even though you had it completely re-wired.

I did manage to find some time to run some tests although I still have not tried a different guitar yet.

The guitar feeds back on all three pickups whether through my Shakedown Twin or my Princeton 112 (solid state) backup amp. I ran it with the OBEL and direct to amp with the same results. There are times on stage (like last week) where it will just feedback out of nowhere in-between songs. It’s not even good feedback, it’s a high squeal that ruins any feel good moment.

Rusty The Scoob is going to get my Wolph back in action with some soldering and I will test it but it seems strange that the Resurrection is feeding back on two different amps one tube one solid state.
keirweir

Postby TI4-1009 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:06 am

it's a high squeal, but not microphonic pickups, right?
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby keirweir » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:05 am

It's an assumption that all three pick ups are not microphonic. I can't say for sure but is it likely that all three are?
keirweir

Postby keirweir » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:39 am

In any event I spoke to AO this morning and he will be re-wiring the guitar.
keirweir

Postby aiq » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:31 pm

Oh no, he's too busy doing my Firebird! 8)
aiq
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby strumminsix » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:34 pm

So one day the guitar was fine, next day it it was feeding back? And y'all think it's the wiring even though nothing changed? I hope so but that doesn't sound right.

As I said before I think you are gonna find that that as the wood cured and dried it allowed pockets that are feeding back and you need to to some sealing and sheilding. But I could be wrong, it's only a theory.
strumminsix

Postby keirweir » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:21 pm

strumminsix wrote:So one day the guitar was fine, next day it it was feeding back? And y'all think it's the wiring even though nothing changed? I hope so but that doesn't sound right.

As I said before I think you are gonna find that that as the wood cured and dried it allowed pockets that are feeding back and you need to to some sealing and sheilding. But I could be wrong, it's only a theory.

Strummin, Perhaps I was not clear from the beginning... The guitar didn't out of nowhere feedback like crazy. It’s been an ongoing issue but over the past 6-12 months has gotten worse and worse. When I discovered the guitar feeds back on all 3 pickups through either my Twin or my Fender Princeton it eliminated the Microphonic PU (in my mind, maybe I am wrong). It also eliminated the Microphonic tube in the twin.

Now, the fact that Vic and I are having similar issues with our Resurrections and he had his re-wired your theory is certainly plausible. HMMMMMMMMM
keirweir

Postby NSP » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:32 pm

keirweir wrote:In any event I spoke to AO this morning and he will be re-wiring the guitar.

aiq wrote:Oh no, he's too busy doing my Firebird! 8)

Man...you guys are killin' me, can he please finish building my guitar first? :cheers:
NSP
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby keirweir » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:55 pm

NSP wrote:
keirweir wrote:In any event I spoke to AO this morning and he will be re-wiring the guitar.

aiq wrote:Oh no, he's too busy doing my Firebird! 8)

Man...you guys are killin' me, can he please finish building my guitar first? :cheers:

For the record! AO is not dropping anything to do this! He is sending me an email once he identifies a timeslot.
keirweir

Postby waldo041 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:23 pm

~waldo

?

What do you suspect wiring wise could be wrong? Does anything not perform as it should? Or are you planning to swap in all new parts and pickups in hopes it does not arise again? I would think diagnosing the problem would be AO's first mission. Watch each card you play, and play it slow!

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby TI4-1009 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:42 pm

"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby keirweir » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:28 am

waldo041 wrote:

~waldo

?

What do you suspect wiring wise could be wrong? Does anything not perform as it should? Or are you planning to swap in all new parts and pickups in hopes it does not arise again? I would think diagnosing the problem would be AO's first mission. Watch each card you play, and play it slow!

~waldo

I have been interested in having the guitar re-wired to Tiger or Rosebud (for sure) since AO originally did some work on the PU ring for me a couple years ago.

The first order of business is to let AO get in there and try to diagnose the issue (I'm sure he will love the challenge) but ultimately I want a re-wire to specs so I can cross that off my list on the tone hunt. Resurrection said it was wired to Bolt specs, I can’t say if it is or isn’t but I do feel like I have all of the tools to have the sound but its lacking a bit. Maybe this will help… I’m excited to get rid of this feedback and I’m still waiting on the spring or rubber mounts. I suppose I could open it up its just do hard to find time for anything with the little ones running around the house.
keirweir

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone