Feedback???

Feedback???

Postby keirweir » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:58 pm

Hey everyone!

I was wondering if I have an issue in my guitar in regards to wiring or the material used for the pickup ring.
I get world ending feedback at just about all gigs if I turn anywhere near-towards my amp (even slightly) and I always get just about constant feedback when I turn on any distortion pedal. I understand feedback and can play the 'walk the line game' of feedback and great sound while soloing with distortion but I can't even turn towards the drummer to end a song without feedback.

People I have talked to have suggested it’s the guitar wiring or the Aluminum pickup ring.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
keirweir

Re: Feedback???

Postby hippieguy1954 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:44 pm

Just to rule things out, does it only happen with that guitar?
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby strumminsix » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:22 pm

hippieguy1954 wrote:Just to rule things out, does it only happen with that guitar?

Dude, that was my first thought too :)

Next thoughts:
2) are you in the monitor?
3) how loud is your amp?
strumminsix

Postby hippieguy1954 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:22 am

strumminsix wrote:
hippieguy1954 wrote:Just to rule things out, does it only happen with that guitar?

Dude, that was my first thought too :)

Next thoughts:
2) are you in the monitor?
3) how loud is your amp?

Seems like the logical place to start, right?
Continued thoughts:
4) what is your rig?
5) what is the signal path?
Jim

hippieguy1954

Postby keirweir » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:49 am

I am not in the monitor, it is loud but its not a volume issue and it only happens with my main guitar.

I'm certain its the guitar (perhaps I could have been clearer). Some people have said it has to be the Aluminum PU ring, lack of copper shielding on the actual PU ring or the wiring. The cavity is shielded with copper foil.

The end game for me will have to be shipping it up to AO Guitars for a re-wire. If it we're simply a ground wire or somthing it would be nice to save the $$$. Any musician I have played with would tell you there's a unique feedback issue there.
keirweir

Postby strumminsix » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:40 am

hippieguy1954 wrote:Seems like the logical place to start, right?

Totally dude!!

Keir, so I think it's safe to say it's the guitar. Let's examine other facts: OD increases problem and I'm guessing volume does too.

Does your guitar have many "cavities"? If so pop some foam in there. Think of how hollowbody guitars are known for feedback.

I've never heard of aluminum rings causing problems. But I don't know all. Heck, I don't even know the man behind the curtain :)
strumminsix

Postby hippieguy1954 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:51 am

One last question. Does it do it regardless of which pickup you select?
Jim

hippieguy1954

Postby playingdead » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:14 am

Is this on your Resurrection? I have developed the exact same problem with my Resurrection Tiger guitar lately. My setup has been stable both in gear and volume since 2009 and this started happening a few months ago. Piercing feedback when the overdrive is on, not as bad when it's off. At first I thought it was worse on stages with low ceilings but it happened at an outdoor gig, too.

My first thought was that the middle Super II had gone microphonic on me, so I had my local tech swap the neck and the middle pickups. That did not fix the problem.

My guitar was rewired by Gary Brawer himself in 2010, long before the problem arose, so I don't think it's a wiring or shielding issue, either -- nothing has changed on my guitar to account for this. Keir, have you tried changing the battery on the buffer? I did not think of that until just now. At one point I had a Scott Walker Santa Cruz guitar with no buffer in it and it had terrible feedback problems when the effects loop was being used -- some sort of crosstalk issue. Adding a buffer fixed it. That's another thing to try ... plug the guitar straight into the effects and straight into the amp (no loop) and see if it still feeds back with the overdrive on.

I am happily using my Scott Walker Special guitar at gigs now, which has the same Wald buffer and a Super II in the middle, and it does not give me problems. It also has a copper pickup surround (my Tiger is brass).

The local tech suggested wax potting the pickups, but I am reluctant to try that because of what it might do to the tone.

Let us know if you get it figured out, man. For now, my Tiger is mothballed.
playingdead

Postby tcsned » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:22 am

Is the feedback cool, albeit unwanted guitar-ish feedback or is it shrill microphonic feedback? Potting the pups in wax can help that problem. I don't remember nice DiMarzios or other good pups having that problem - when was at the music store I noticed it with a lot of Epiphone LPs.
tcsned

Postby hippieguy1954 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:43 pm

playingdead wrote:Is this on your Resurrection? I have developed the exact same problem with my Resurrection Tiger guitar lately. My setup has been stable both in gear and volume since 2009 and this started happening a few months ago. Piercing feedback when the overdrive is on, not as bad when it's off. At first I thought it was worse on stages with low ceilings but it happened at an outdoor gig, too.

My first thought was that the middle Super II had gone microphonic on me, so I had my local tech swap the neck and the middle pickups. That did not fix the problem.

My guitar was rewired by Gary Brawer himself in 2010, long before the problem arose, so I don't think it's a wiring or shielding issue, either -- nothing has changed on my guitar to account for this. Keir, have you tried changing the battery on the buffer? I did not think of that until just now. At one point I had a Scott Walker Santa Cruz guitar with no buffer in it and it had terrible feedback problems when the effects loop was being used -- some sort of crosstalk issue. Adding a buffer fixed it. That's another thing to try ... plug the guitar straight into the effects and straight into the amp (no loop) and see if it still feeds back with the overdrive on.

I am happily using my Scott Walker Special guitar at gigs now, which has the same Wald buffer and a Super II in the middle, and it does not give me problems. It also has a copper pickup surround (my Tiger is brass).

The local tech suggested wax potting the pickups, but I am reluctant to try that because of what it might do to the tone.

Let us know if you get it figured out, man. For now, my Tiger is mothballed.

Maybe all the pickups went microphonic ? Wild guess, I know, but something had to have changed and if one could, then they all could. Potting the pickups seems nill since they weren't potted when you didn't have the problem.
Jim

hippieguy1954

Postby strumminsix » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:22 am

My only remaining thoughts on this is the wood.
+ is it sealed?
+ are cavities sealed?
+ could it have dried out more and created internal cavities
+ etc...
strumminsix

Postby cripeowner » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:30 am

Keir You need to isolate each part of the signal. First take out the effects loop keep everything else the same and just run a single cord in. Does it still feed back? At lower guitar volume or just when you are at 8,9 or 10 on the guitar. Next try the wolf with the loop feed back yes or no? If No then it's the ressurection. If it does not feedback when the loop is not used then I would say it's in the buffer. If it feeds back when not using the loop but only when the volume knob is 8,9 10 then I would say it's a gain issue and somthing is set too hot. When I use the tube section of my twin not the mac and I run 2 gain pedals I can get some feedback, but my AO wolf is chambered. Is the ressurection chambered or soilid? Has this been from day 1? Do you have access to a different TRS cables to try?
cripeowner
Jester
Jester

Postby keirweir » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:44 am

Thanks for the input everyone!

Surely it's my Resurrection (and don't call me Shirly), I have always had the issue but it seems to be getting worse. Its not the effects chain as it happens with the OBEL engaged or disengaged. If I simply turn towards the amp (even 10 feet away at a show it goes nuts), if I engage any kind of distortion its just about constant feedback when I am not playing notes. I'm trying to find a video clip example here....
keirweir

Postby cripeowner » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:49 am

That's wicked bizarre. looks like a drive to Maine is in your future. Just not now. Andrew is busy re-fretting my Cripe.
cripeowner
Jester
Jester

Postby tcsned » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:53 am

keirweir wrote:Thanks for the input everyone!

Surely it's my Resurrection (and don't call me Shirly), I have always had the issue but it seems to be getting worse. Its not the effects chain as it happens with the OBEL engaged or disengaged. If I simply turn towards the amp (even 10 feet away at a show it goes nuts), if I engage any kind of distortion its just about constant feedback when I am not playing notes. I'm trying to find a video clip example here....

Does it feedback with all 3 pickups? It is unlikely that all thee would go bad at the same time. If it's your center pup then that might be the culprit. If it's all three I'd look elsewhere. I wouldn't think grounding issues would cause feedback, just noise. Are they DiMarzio pups?
tcsned

Next

Return to Jerry Tone