Waldo's TPC-1 in a pedal!

Re: Waldo's TPC-1 in a pedal!

Postby hippieguy1954 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:49 am

Well Jon S, I suppose that situation is fine for the effects as long as the first effects pedal has a buffer, but that isn't an option for me because I like the EF as the first pedal and it really needs that pure pickup signal. If not for that, all you would need is a pedal with a buffer in the first pedal position, but you are still not hitting that first effect pedal with the full original signal of the pickup. It has already been altered by the controls, jack and first cable. Measure the capacitance of the controls, the jack and the first cable and you will see what I mean. It, the buffer, was developed to be used in conjunction with the OBEL just for that reason.
Even when I'm not using effects, I can certainly hear a slight different in clarity between the buffer on board compared to it in a pedal. At lower volumes, it doesn't seem to be as noticeable, but at high volume it is very noticeable.

Don't get wrong, the buffer in a pedal is certainly handy and useful. Just not the same.

I'm trying to slowly put a buffer in every guitar regardless of weather it is going to have the OBEL or not, but I am also starting to get very used to the OBEL too, and the combination of the buffer and OBEL in the guitar is the "CATS MEOW", BEE'S KNEES", "BELLE OF THE BALL", "THE ELL'S ANKLE", "THE ELEPHANTS INSTEP". Well, you get the idea.
First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby Jon S. » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:38 pm

My first show was '74 and my last '95 - we don't agree on anything.

LOL! :lol:

I hear ya, Bro'! And I agree in the sense that my Jerrycaster is also wired with a UGB and OBEL and that's the guitar I use almost always for Dead. I do tend to be flexible on these points, though, especially with others who for whatever reasons aren't fortunate enough to have Jerrycasters of their own but also love Jerry's tone.
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby hippieguy1954 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:30 am

Jon S. wrote:My first show was '74 and my last '95 - we don't agree on anything.

LOL! :lol:

I hear ya, Bro'! And I agree in the sense that my Jerrycaster is also wired with a UGB and OBEL and that's the guitar I use almost always for Dead. I do tend to be flexible on these points, though, especially with others who for whatever reasons aren't fortunate enough to have Jerrycasters of their own but also love Jerry's tone.

You should have started in '73, then we would agree on everything! :lol: We are good at agreeing to disagree and we certainly agree that The Grateful Dead were/are amazing!

I understand what you're saying, that the buffer in a pedal is a good tool for anyone that just wants to improve their tone with any standard guitar. I totally agree with that!

Interesting thing, though, is that if a person does want a buffer in any standard guitar, it is real easy to just put one in without the OBEL as long as the battery fits. Nothing to change out except changing the output jack to TRS. If I remember correctly, it ends up being 3 solder connections in the guitar and 3 on the output jack?
First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby racecar » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:22 pm

Jon S. wrote:For those of us who prefer doobies over cigars, it's close enough. :P

Seriously, just as you ran your test comparing the buffer in your guitar versus before your effects, run the same test with a buffer before your effects (assuming the effects aren't themselves buffered and not true bypass, if so, you already have a buffer in your signal path) as compared to no buffer at all. You should hear a quite audible effect there, too.

Then compare the same exact guitar with the on board buffer disconnected and with a buffer before your effects plus slight adjustments to your rig's controls to compensate for any otherwise audible signal loss. My guess is any resulting differences would be tough to discern in a mix but this is just a guess and I'm open to hearing differently.

I agree with this statement. well said Jon.
racecar
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby JustinJohn » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:55 pm

Fwiw: I didn't notice the difference until I started using the 'lift' feature of my 'switchazel' pedal 100% of the time... (Lifting the volume about 30% at the end of my signal chain.) With the buffer out, the lifted signal is thin and not as "colorful" as it is with the buffer. That added 'umph' is something I can't live without - Really gives it a big shot o' Jerry! =)
JustinJohn
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby ccw3432 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:33 pm

I just put a Waldo buffer (WITHOUT OBEL) in my Gibson SG earlier this week and it was a straight forward and quick installation (with the exception of the ground gremlin I chased for half the evening but that just comes with the territory once in a while). I thought about the pedal version, but I like the idea of my signal not deteriorating inthe first section of cable prior to the pedal. I haven't tried the pedal so I can't comment on it. I'm absolutely amazed at the improvement to my tone. I typicall run a total of 25' of instrument cable and six true bypass effects pedals, so there's a fair amount of high end loss. The SGs tend to be darker sounding to begin with, but with the buffer my tone controls on the guitar now serve another purpose besides always being cranked to 10. Bottom line, it's not too big a deal to install one in any guitar without going the OBEL route. Like hippieguy said, as long as you have a place to put the battery.
ccw3432
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby Smolder » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:57 am

I rotate through guitars gig to gig (5 of them), so putting the buffer in the guitars is prohibitively expensive... and I'm not in a dead cover band (just learning from the technological advances). I like my boosts and over drives to see the pickups... it make a difference. I use waldo's pedals just after them, and put the phaser, delay, EF, and chorus in the loop... then follow with reverb and tuner. It's a great way to get things set up and then turn the right combination of effects on with one switch. Every pedal I have are try bypass... and I can use as long a cable as I need post pedalboard (but typically only 6-10 foot). It works perfect.

I did grab a little T1M for the small pedalboard I use for more bluesy gigs. 5 pedals with only boost, overdrives, reverb and a tuner. I just velcro'd the little box to the bottom of the board. very simple and the led is there to let me know its working.
Smolder

Postby GeneralGoldilocks » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:05 pm

Hey all, just wondering what the difference is between the TPC-1, and the Steel Guitar Black Box. I know the SGBB is a tube circuit, vs the TPC-1 being a solid state transistor, but do they serve the same purpose? I know the TPC-1 is a buffer, but is that the main function of the SGBB as well? Do they both convert the high impedence signal of a passive pickup to a low impendance and then boost this low impendance signal? I know that is what the TPC-1 and other traditional buffers or active pickups, such as EMG's are supposed to do, but is this what the SGBB is designed to do as well? Would it be safe to say if you have the SGBB then a buffer of any sort isn't necessary? Just trying to get things just exactly perfect in my head.
like waves against the bandstand dancers broke
GeneralGoldilocks
Keith
Keith

Postby wolftigerrosebud » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:28 pm

Hey Waldo -- would you please PM me when you get a chance? I'd very much like to buy a TPC-1 pedal. :smile:
wolftigerrosebud
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Winterland » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:56 am

Me to waldo. I need one as well
Winterland
Jester
Jester

Postby waldo041 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:46 am

All interested should drop me an email
waldo041 at y a h o o .

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Hackdog69 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:57 am

I recently got one, its in a killer white case, big knob, high quality all the way through. Very happy. Thanks Waldo!
Hackdog69
rukind?
rukind?

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone