Chat about Equipment Info

Re: To the people who...

Postby bzbz » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:36 pm

bzbz
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby Jack Straw » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:44 am

augustwest1 wrote:Here goes. I recorded this with a compact digital camera and its tiny built-in mic, so it doesn't exactly capture the tone of the guitar which is, incidentally, the nicest guitar I've ever played...

that Wolf sounds absolutely killer, and GREAT playing brother!! Wish I lived closer to Colorado....would love to jam with you! Our "Jerry" has always had a MAJOR volume issue. When we played out he usually wasn't even on the board because he was so freaking loud
Jack Straw
bruce
bruce

Postby augustwest1 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:58 am

After a painfully long (but not entirely unexpected) wait, I received a shiny new Phiga Tiger from Phil a few days ago.

There's a lot of discussion on this board comparing the various Garcia clones available out there, but no actual comparisons that I've found. Sooo, I thought it would be cool (and useful) to shoot two videos of a Moriarty Wolf and Phiga Tiger playing over the same jam track, through the same rig, by the same person (me), and then splicing them together, and moving back and forth between the two, as different effects are used.

Problem is, I have no idea how to edit video like that! :oops: Is anybody aware of a free video editing software that allows you to do that sort of thing with the ease that say, Audacity audio softeware does?

If not, I can just post some pics and a separate video that could be compared to the Moriarty video I posted here a few months ago.
augustwest1
bruce
bruce

Postby waldo041 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:05 am

windows movie maker?

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby keirweir » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:54 pm

augustwest1 wrote:After a painfully long (but not entirely unexpected) wait, I received a shiny new Phiga Tiger from Phil a few days ago.

There's a lot of discussion on this board comparing the various Garcia clones available out there, but no actual comparisons that I've found. Sooo, I thought it would be cool (and useful) to shoot two videos of a Moriarty Wolf and Phiga Tiger playing over the same jam track, through the same rig, by the same person (me), and then splicing them together, and moving back and forth between the two, as different effects are used.

Problem is, I have no idea how to edit video like that! :oops: Is anybody aware of a free video editing software that allows you to do that sort of thing with the ease that say, Audacity audio softeware does?

If not, I can just post some pics and a separate video that could be compared to the Moriarty video I posted here a few months ago.

Iphone or Android device to record some video, upload it to a youtube account you can establish (connect to your wireless modem), share the link here.
keirweir

Phiga Tiger, Moriarty Wolf, Fender Strat

Postby augustwest1 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:58 pm

Sorry folks, no fancy video montage, mostly because while there are obvious tonal differences between these three, I realized my cheap digital camera isn't up to the task of capturing them. :? Still, this vid offers some comparison.

Thanks to Seth at GratefulGuitarLessons.com for the jam track!
augustwest1
bruce
bruce

Postby Searing75 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:28 am

The tone is there on both for sure, but what I want to know is which one is more playable? All of these guitars (hell, even cheap knockoffs can get the tone) sound great. I am most interested in ho they feel. Is the action able to be adjusted as low as you want? Is there fret buzz all over? Playability.

Chris
All's well that sounds well.
Searing75
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby augustwest1 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:20 pm

Searing75 wrote:The tone is there on both for sure, but what I want to know is which one is more playable? All of these guitars (hell, even cheap knockoffs can get the tone) sound great. I am most interested in ho they feel. Is the action able to be adjusted as low as you want? Is there fret buzz all over? Playability.

Chris

I cannot say that either one is "more playable" than the other. Both necks are virtually identical (less than 1/64" difference) in terms of thickness and width, but each has a decidedly different feel. The Tiger has fatter frets, a larger radius to the fretboard (feels flatter), and a smaller radius on the back (meaning, as I conceive it, that the neck reaches its full thickness closer to the edge of the neck, or further from the center of the neck, as compared to the Wolf). So overall, the Tiger has a meatier feel to it compared to the Wolf. My initial reaction when switching from one to the other is: "this is so fat feeling" or "this is so delicate feeling." But after a few seconds of acclimating, they both feel great. If you are someone who has a strong preference for a lighter or heavier feel, then you would almost certainly prefer one over the other, but I don't.

Bottom line: I'd be quite surprised if anybody sat down with one of these guitars and had the slightest reservation about either one in terms of playability. Some players might prefer the feel of one over the other, but I don't see that as being a reflection of the instruments' quality or even their "playability," strictly speaking.
Last edited by augustwest1 on Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
augustwest1
bruce
bruce

Postby NSP » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:41 am

Here's a clip of my recectly aquired ao Wolf. I posted this clip in another thread as well, so apologies to those who've already seen it. My studio is bright even with auralex on the walls, and that comes through with the crappy camera I used. Absolutely love this guitar.
Super2 middle split, speaker is a K120.

Click image to see video

NSP
Rosemary
Rosemary

Previous

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion