jerry pedals

Re: jerry pedals

Postby austinhumphrey » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:34 pm

i found a mxr pedal called the gt od. that one looks like it could have some good jerry tones. anybody played one of these?
austinhumphrey
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby Jerry1996x » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:48 pm

Looks like more of a Tubescreamer inspired pedal. If that's what youre looking for, it looks cool, but Jerry never used a tubescreamer.
Jerry1996x
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby waldo041 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:10 pm

The Boss OD-1 Jerry used from the late 80's until the end was essentially a Tubescreamer circuit with the JRC4558 chip, minus the tone control.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Jerry1996x » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:19 pm

waldo041 wrote:The Boss OD-1 Jerry used from the late 80's until the end was essentially a Tubescreamer circuit with the JRC4558 chip, minus the tone control.

~waldo

Oops! And that's why Waldo's the man.........
Jerry1996x
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby austinhumphrey » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:39 pm

i went out and bought myself a ds-1 today, i like it but i feel like it's a little to bitey sounding for my taste. not sure if i'll take it back for the overdrive or just keep it for later. how does the mxr distortion plus differ from the boss overdrive?
austinhumphrey
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby jeager » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:18 am

Jerry1996x wrote:
waldo041 wrote:The Boss OD-1 Jerry used from the late 80's until the end was essentially a Tubescreamer circuit with the JRC4558 chip, minus the tone control.

~waldo

I borrowed my son's tube screamer a while back and used it on a gig. Loved it for the big OD sound... Not harsh at all very nice. So which ones have the JRC4558 chip?
"One man gathers what another man spills..."
jeager
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby Jerry1996x » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:04 pm

jeager wrote:
Jerry1996x wrote:

~waldo

I borrowed my son's tube screamer a while back and used it on a gig. Loved it for the big OD sound... Not harsh at all very nice. So which ones have the JRC4558 chip?

+1

I love my ts9. I think the new ones have the jrc chip in them actually.
Jerry1996x
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby Smolder » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:11 pm

Just my opinion... but the first phase of distortion (particularly if you're not playing stadiums) is to get that speaker distortion Jerry got from hammering his JBL's with cleans. We all like the tone, but few of us get to push them. A Klon, or a klone (clone of a klon) or an earth drive are pretty good when used as a clean boost to get a similar tone.

I think there are so many great flavors of overdrive/distortion pedals out there now that you can do better than most of what Jerry used. Of course you can go get a vintage... or make a clone, but it seems like the circuitry and opamps have come a long ways in the last 10-15 years - many smoother and quieter. Pick your color, your control, and the level of compression.

Also - the tube screamer and it's derivative have a distinct mid hump. That's never really worked for me with a clean fender preamp and JBL's... just my two cents ymmv.
Smolder

Postby TI4-1009 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:50 pm

Smolder wrote: A Klon, or a klone (clone of a klon)

Wordsmithing. :-) Worthy of a song
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby boater1941 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:23 pm

The HM-2 with it's distortion high and low flavoring is what attracted jer. That baby with the distortion on 1 and the high flav on 7 and low flav 2-3. Nails the distortion tone to the tee. eg,miracle,samson,buckett,deal finale,etc. I've been told from several sources that pedal ,and several others remained on call and pre in jer's 90 rack. Only the pedals that needed on the fly tweaking were mounted facing forwards and few more were bolted down and preset inside but part of the chain(can't really call a chain when the pedals were called apon with jer's trubypass bars). I have an OD-1 modded and it pushes more of a clean over drive but nothing I have ever heard is a screaming distortion yet combined clean sparkle jer tone I get from the hm-2. I've been playing for over 40 years and have all the mxr's,ibanez's,maestro's,sd-1,od-1,ds-1,etc.
Perfect pedal setup #1trubypass all pedals,always on and set to obel output with tpc-1,trubypass bar with DPTT with led on each to see which pedals are selected. Let waldo's awesome buffer be heard how sweet it is and dont send it through a run of muffling,tone sucking pedals. Seriously grab an HM-2 and see if it suits your setup with above settings. Theyre around for like 40 bucks.
boater1941
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby boater1941 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:40 pm

Smolder wrote:Just my opinion... but the first phase of distortion (particularly if you're not playing stadiums) is to get that speaker distortion Jerry got from hammering his JBL's with cleans. We all like the tone, but few of us get to push them. A Klon, or a klone (clone of a klon) or an earth drive are pretty good when used as a clean boost to get a similar tone.

I think there are so many great flavors of overdrive/distortion pedals out there now that you can do better than most of what Jerry used. Of course you can go get a vintage... or make a clone, but it seems like the circuitry and opamps have come a long ways in the last 10-15 years - many smoother and quieter. Pick your color, your control, and the level of compression.

Also - the tube screamer and it's derivative have a distinct mid hump. That's never really worked for me with a clean fender preamp and JBL's... just my two cents ymmv.

You can hammer the jbl's to the bone. E's can get up to around 400watts and K's open up at about 75watts and can pushed well past 150watts. They were also pushed by 2300 MC's. I have literally stood in front of fourE120 JBL's at 1ohm with a 2300 and the volume around 7 with my guitar. They won't even come close to distorting or sustained feedback. I mean literally I could almost feel the wind coming from a 4by12 stack and held my pups right up to the aluminum dome ,guitar volume maxed.
Nope Jer always had something to create a distortion. Them JBL's are the bees knees. Why cant people open them up. Use just one speaker then and make it a K.
boater1941
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby TI4-1009 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:25 am

boater1941 wrote:I've been told from several sources that pedal ,and several others remained on call and pre in jer's 90 rack. Only the pedals that needed on the fly tweaking were mounted facing forwards and few more were bolted down and preset inside but part of the chain

First I've heard of this?! Can anyone confirm?

Interesting distortion info boater.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

TI4-1009

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:43 am

TI4-1009 wrote:
boater1941 wrote:I've been told from several sources that pedal ,and several others remained on call and pre in jer's 90 rack. Only the pedals that needed on the fly tweaking were mounted facing forwards and few more were bolted down and preset inside but part of the chain

First I've heard of this?! Can anyone confirm?

Interesting distortion info boater.

I'm sure this would be a simple enough question for either DH or Big Steve to confirm or dispel. Kidd is all over facebook lately; he might know.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby TI4-1009 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:55 am

boater1941 wrote: Nope Jer always had something to create a distortion.

Just noticed this in the Relix '76 interview:

Your guitar playing has remained fairly constant the last few years. The only real deviation was on this new album on the track “Comes A Time.” You used a mild fuzz.

JG: I just used a small amplifier.

TI4-1009

Postby kadidog » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:26 pm

boater1941 wrote:The HM-2 with it's distortion high and low flavoring is what attracted jer. That baby with the distortion on 1 and the high flav on 7 and low flav 2-3. Nails the distortion tone to the tee. eg,miracle,samson,buckett,deal finale,etc. I've been told from several sources that pedal ,and several others remained on call and pre in jer's 90 rack. Only the pedals that needed on the fly tweaking were mounted facing forwards and few more were bolted down and preset inside but part of the chain(can't really call a chain when the pedals were called apon with jer's trubypass bars). I have an OD-1 modded and it pushes more of a clean over drive but nothing I have ever heard is a screaming distortion yet combined clean sparkle jer tone I get from the hm-2. I've been playing for over 40 years and have all the mxr's,ibanez's,maestro's,sd-1,od-1,ds-1,etc.
Perfect pedal setup #1trubypass all pedals,always on and set to obel output with tpc-1,trubypass bar with DPTT with led on each to see which pedals are selected. Let waldo's awesome buffer be heard how sweet it is and dont send it through a run of muffling,tone sucking pedals. Seriously grab an HM-2 and see if it suits your setup with above settings. Theyre around for like 40 bucks.

Distortion on 1 or 10?
kadidog
Vince
Vince

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone