Glimpse inside Tiger

Glimpse inside Tiger

Postby playingdead » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:20 pm

I came across these tonight, had not seen them before. These are from 1990, when Doug Irwin was apparently stripping or refinishing the Tiger ... be really interesting to see the entire shoot in high resolution. Now I understand why there's that big brass surround around the pickup selector ... look at the giant hole.

playingdead

Re: Glimpse inside Tiger

Postby Dozin » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:46 pm

Nice find Vic!
"If you get confused,...
Listen to the music play"
Dozin

Postby waldo041 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:38 pm

Thanks for sharing Vic!

This validates the 1990 Refinish and also validates the reasoning for the color loss of the Tiger inlay as well.

Very nice find!

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Jon S. » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:19 am

Amazing pics. Thanks for sharing!
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby TI4-1009 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:46 am

Fantastic Vic! Where did you find these??

Reminds me of what either Irwin or Lieber said- some of the things we find most interesting on Tiger are things they had to do to cover up "mistakes". The brass on the front and back is there to cover seams from when they had to change mid-course from a neck-through design. The oval on the back is there because they got too thin on the back when doing the swimming pool and had to create a design to artisticlly rebuild the back and fill in the area. At least that's the way I understood it.

In photos I had seen what looked like a chip in the wood on the knob side of the switchplate. When I got a long, close-up oogle of Tiger when Irsay had it on display in Indy last year you could see it plainly.

Yikes! Look at the opening under the jackplate!?! It's not just two holes drilled through the wood covered with the brass plate. THAT's why the jackplate is so big! Who knew....

So if this was a 1990 facelift do you suppose that this is when Irwin had that fancy photo taken that's used in the $150 Tiger poster that's on the Bay all the time? I notice that the seller of this poster is in Rochester NY- where Irwin was born and raised. Coincidence?

Wonderful photos.
Last edited by TI4-1009 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby playingdead » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:56 am

I'm the creative director of a magazine in my real life, and came across these at a photo agency.

They were taken by Tim Mosenfelder, who is a well-known rock photographer who shoots for a bunch of publications and has his work represented by the agencies; I was unable to find any contact info for him directly. It's probably a moot point, anyway, as in 1990 he would have been shooting film so it's unlikely there are other images that are digitized or accessible.

Interesting that if you look closely at the photos on the wall in the picture with Doug, you can see a photo of a tiger-shaped guitar body that might have a maple body (or maybe it's just a reflection).
playingdead

Postby tigerstrat » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:38 pm

playingdead wrote:Interesting that if you look closely at the photos on the wall in the picture with Doug, you can see a photo of a tiger-shaped guitar body that might have a maple body (or maybe it's just a reflection).

Looks similar to this one that Tom posted awhile back, but it appears to have an oval battery cover, more like Tiger.

"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby softmachine72 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:44 pm

This is the first time i could see clearly the Padauk (vermillion ) on "both" sides of the inlaid brass, Also the great angle on the top carve on the left side. I have long suspected that there was a soft v shaped cut along the left side near the triple ring. There is so much data in the few pics Thanx. One more step along the road to getting it exactly perfect.
L.
softmachine72
Billy
Billy

Postby waldo041 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:31 pm

It appears that the brass pickup ring was inlaid slightly as well. I can also see Rosebuds original jack plate on the bench. And apparently Tiger had a Toggle switch originally for a pickup selector like that symmetrical Garcia Irwin guitar posted by Tigerstrat.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby softmachine72 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:38 am

Good eye Waldo the triple ring must be inlaid flush with the body. I also noticed how thick the neck block is (top to bottom) and extends sightly into the p-up cavity. What about the carving on the lower rt. quadrant of the back I know there is some distortion because of the oblique angle but, it really looks dished out.
softmachine72
Billy
Billy

Postby gr8fl4295 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:09 am

playingdead, nice find! Can you request larger comps from getty so we can see more detail?
Once in a while you get shown the light
In the strangest of places if you look at it right.
gr8fl4295
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby playingdead » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:28 pm

That's as big as their comps get. Gotta pay the big bucks for the real goods.
playingdead

Postby JustinJohn » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:21 pm

You guys would make great microbiologists!

8)
JustinJohn
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby softmachine72 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:39 pm

They want $350 a photo. We could get a 3 month license for $45.
softmachine72
Billy
Billy

Postby TI4-1009 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:25 am

waldo041 wrote:And apparently Tiger had a Toggle switch originally for a pickup selector like that symmetrical Garcia Irwin guitar posted by Tigerstrat. ~waldo

My jury is still out on that one- the two halves of the "hole" in the switch slot don't really line up with each other- they're "offset". Could just be chips?

JustinJohn wrote:You guys would make great microbiologists!

8)

Wait- I do have a biology degree- AND a microscope!
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Return to Jerry Tone