Eden WT-800

Eden WT-800

Postby Walknbluez » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:02 am

Given that Phil uses an Eden WT-800, anyone here use one and what is your opinion of it? I found one for sale, used but in almost new out of the box condition, for $750. I really like the warmth I get from my tube amp but I am really tempted to build a rig based on Phil's current setup. On the other hand, I know he's got a lot more to his rig than just that amp which is probably more than I would be able to put into a rig. If you do have experience with this amp, I'd love to hear your thoughts about its power and tone.
Walknbluez
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Re: Eden WT-800

Postby Bassman » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:49 am

I have the Wt800C and its great. I combine it with a Fearless 215 cab and its killer. You can dial in many tones, and you have the "magic" enhance knob that both Phil and Mike Gordon use. They are using Meyer Sound lab cabs and equalizers, that along theeir hands gives them both great tones. At $750 for new out of the box you can't go wrong man.
Bassman
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby Walknbluez » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:23 pm

Bassman wrote:I have the Wt800C and its great. I combine it with a Fearless 215 cab and its killer. You can dial in many tones, and you have the "magic" enhance knob that both Phil and Mike Gordon use. They are using Meyer Sound lab cabs and equalizers, that along theeir hands gives them both great tones. At $750 for new out of the box you can't go wrong man.

Phil also used the Eden 410XLT cabs at Terrapin Crossroads. I see them occasionally on CL. I know a bass player acquaintance locally that said this about the WT800: "I played through that head once and not impressed although I like Eden cabs. I prefer Ashdown's heads better to Eden. To my ears/preference, there is not enough bottom end fatness and warmth with Eden"

What would you say with regards to warmth and bottom end?
Walknbluez
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby waldo041 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:54 pm

I also see a Meyer Sound CP10 in there as well, and he used those for a few years with the GD.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby zambiland » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:58 pm

Walknbluez wrote:
Bassman wrote:I have the Wt800C and its great. I combine it with a Fearless 215 cab and its killer. You can dial in many tones, and you have the "magic" enhance knob that both Phil and Mike Gordon use. They are using Meyer Sound lab cabs and equalizers, that along theeir hands gives them both great tones. At $750 for new out of the box you can't go wrong man.

Phil also used the Eden 410XLT cabs at Terrapin Crossroads. I see them occasionally on CL. I know a bass player acquaintance locally that said this about the WT800: "I played through that head once and not impressed although I like Eden cabs. I prefer Ashdown's heads better to Eden. To my ears/preference, there is not enough bottom end fatness and warmth with Eden"

Interesting. I have the opposite feeling about Eden. I like the electronics and dislike the cabinets. The cabs feel like they have a pretty lumpy frequency response. I much prefer my fEARful. But what do I know? I'm all into my Sunn 200S these days!

I'm pretty sure that Mike has abandoned the enthusiastic use of the enhance knob.
zambiland

Postby Walknbluez » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:23 pm

zambiland wrote:
Walknbluez wrote:

Interesting. I have the opposite feeling about Eden. I like the electronics and dislike the cabinets. The cabs feel like they have a pretty lumpy frequency response. I much prefer my fEARful. But what do I know? I'm all into my Sunn 200S these days!

I'm pretty sure that Mike has abandoned the enthusiastic use of the enhance knob.

What do you mean by lumpy frequency response? Can you describe that?
Walknbluez
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby Bassman » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:01 pm

I can dial in many tonalities with an Eden Head, warmth and punch, with plenty of head room, you can drop Phil Bombs all night. I agree with Edwin, I found the Eden cabs lacking, especially when i would push them a bit, I stacked a XLT410 over a 210xst, it was nice, but it doesn't compare to the Fearless 215 cab....I got it from this builder, great guy, Mark Robertson.....http://www.bnaaudio.com/products/products.htm
Bassman
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby zambiland » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:10 pm

Walknbluez wrote:
What do you mean by lumpy frequency response? Can you describe that?

Eden cabinets tend to have big bumps in the low mids, holes in various other parts of the mids and tweaky highs. Once you experience something like the fEARfuls, you discover what a flat frequency response with a true low very end is like. Acmes are also a similar experience. While Eden cabs can be enjoyable for certain things, I find them ultimately a bit frustrating.
zambiland

Postby Walknbluez » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:05 pm

zambiland wrote:
Walknbluez wrote:

So you're going all tube these days? What year did Phil go from tube to solid state?
Walknbluez
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby zambiland » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:27 pm

Walknbluez wrote:
zambiland wrote:

So you're going all tube these days? What year did Phil go from tube to solid state?

In the summer of 1972, he went from the Fender Showman power sections to McIntosh 3500s (see Sunshine Daydream). They are tube amps but much closer in solid state in sound and feel than to the tube section of a Fender. By New Year's Eve, he had moved over to 2300s, a solid state amp. http://www.barncard.com/GD73WB/html/garciaRig1.html
zambiland

Postby Phil Lesh101 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:31 am

He doesn't use the eden's for giging anymore.

"I didn't ask them to misspell anything to prove their authenticity, but I believe they're legit." ~ Rusty The Scoob.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV9EGVZio2M
https://archive.org/details/DA2013-10-19
Phil Lesh101

Return to Phil Sound