My Hoeg's

My Hoeg's

Postby Dozin » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:44 am

I wanted to give Rich Hoeg a plug here for building me 2 outstanding guitars. The quality, craftsmanship, the artistry of these instruments are phenomenal! I couldn't be more happy about the investment in choosing to go with Rich to build these guitars. The Blackknife is just simply kicks ass. It's everything I've dreamt about and more. It's a great sounding clean, solid guitar that sounds F*en awesome! The eq system is so easy to fine tune and love that it's at my fingertips. I'll definitely have to do a video so you guys can check it out. A buddy of mine bought the other Blackknife with the 3 single coils and he thinks by far best instrument he's ever played.

So, if you Bobby players out there are wondering who to go with in a custom, In my opinion there is only one guy. http://www.hoegguitars.com/

"If you get confused,...
Listen to the music play"
Dozin

Re: My Hoeg's

Postby broesau » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:57 am

Those are SWEET. I love the Blacknife/Cowboy combo. Congrats.
broesau
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby shadowboxer » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:53 pm

That is a winning pair. Is the blue guitar an exact copy of Bob's in construction and wiring? Is the neck on the blackknife an old stock neck or a new custom creation? Is there a long wait for Mr. Hoeg?
shadowboxer
Donna
Donna

Postby waldo041 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:04 pm

Those are some seriously nice axes! I really dig that Blackkife.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby strumminsix » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:07 pm

Looking really good, bro! Happy for you!
strumminsix

Postby Dozin » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:31 pm

shadowboxer wrote:That is a winning pair. Is the blue guitar an exact copy of Bob's in construction and wiring? Is the neck on the blackknife an old stock neck or a new custom creation? Is there a long wait for Mr. Hoeg?

Yes, the Blue guitar is an exact copy. Hoeg had the template for the guitar in his shop. Plus Weir's guitar came back for repair and Rich was able to get precise measurements. Wiring is the same also. The guitar has 3 control knobs but one of them is a dual gang pot that sweeps between single coil and full humbucker. Weir had that pot disconnected and the mini humbuckers are hard wired for single coils. mine too, haha

The Blackknife is not a full graphite neck. When we got permission from Weir to build this guitar he actually said it's going to sound a whole lot better not being graphite. I couldn't agree more. I have, and have had many Blackknife guitars and the graphite neck looks sweet but it's not all that when it comes to sound. This guitar has graphite on the peghead with a layer of graphite under the fingerboard which really stiffens it up. Tuning is really great due to this. The neck is over 100 year old mahogany. I love the sound of this guitar. It's really got some incredible tone.

You'll have to ask Rich about his situation on his wait line.
"If you get confused,...
Dozin

Postby Dozin » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:36 pm

I noticed that some of these pics are cut. If you right click and view image you can see a much larger image.

"If you get confused,...
Dozin

Postby shadowboxer » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:00 pm

I'm curious now about the pickups. Also wondering what all the knobs and switches do. Do the pickups match the Cowboy or are different models used? And do you like the bridge, it is the Schaller model?
shadowboxer
Donna
Donna

Postby Dozin » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:03 pm

First off, none of this wouldn't of been possible without Michael Kaufman's help. He and I have been searching for the late 70's tone for a very long time. If you follow this thread you'll learn everything you need to know

Poor man's cowboy
http://www.rukind.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=420&t=8810&p=84523&hilit=poor+cowboy#p84523

My switches are neck- hum/off/split, single- is on/off/reverse polarity, bridge- hum/off/split, and eq on/off
knobs are - top row volume, tone, eq gain bottom row, eq bass, mid and treble
The bridge is made by kahler. My string gauge is 12-52 so it's tight.
Neck pickup is a Dimarzio DP196
Middle is a Dimarzio DP410 v2.2
Bridge is a Dimarzio DP197
These are the same pickups that are in the Cowboy reissues
"If you get confused,...
Dozin

Postby mkaufman » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:11 am

12-52 - wow! Are you using Pyramids?

I guess you don't bend strings often!

mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://advantech-ny.com/mik/advantech/DellComputerWarranty
mkaufman

Postby Dozin » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:55 am

When I first tried 12s out I was like No Way! I got use to them quick and bending strings is not a problem. Because of the gauge and tightness in my opinion that's another secret to Weir's tone. Light brushing of the pick across the strings due to the tightness makes the strings snap back fast and clean. Love them!
"If you get confused,...
Dozin

Postby mkaufman » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:14 am

Are they Pyramids?
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://advantech-ny.com/mik/advantech/DellComputerWarranty
mkaufman

Postby Dozin » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:36 am

Yes, medium/heavy pyramid flatwounds 12-52
"If you get confused,...
Dozin

Postby Sparechaynge » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:17 pm

No more TI Benson's for you Dozin? Or are they Pyramids with a TI 3rd string?
Is this a 70's bass or a 00's PC...or a Moon Lander? (It's a moon lander) - Tigerstrat
Sparechaynge
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby Dozin » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:33 pm

I still have packs of the Bensons but using the pyramids with the flatwound 20 that comes in the pack
"If you get confused,...
Dozin

Next

Return to Bobby Tone