Legendary Bass Guitar surfaces!

Chat about Equipment Info

Legendary Bass Guitar surfaces!

Postby pdelvis » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:41 pm

Missing Pete Sears "Dragon" bass found -- sibling of Jerry's "Tiger." What a remarkable story aptly titled "The Long Strange Trip." Cheers! A fascinating read!
http://rockhall.com/blog/post/9841_foun ... ar-dragon/
pdelvis
welcome
welcome

Re: Legendary Bass Guitar surfaces!

Postby ebick » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:57 pm

It's a well known story 'round these parts.....it all happened here.

http://www.rukind.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=346&t=7366&hilit=Irwin+76
Ed

First Show - 5/5/77
Last Show - 3/28/93
ebick

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:21 pm

News does get around! :D
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby tcsned » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:34 pm

I was nice to see that they gave props to rukind in this one :cool:
tcsned

Postby jkstraw » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:52 pm

Story was shared (including a rukind mention) on Weir Here this evening. Pretty awesome to hear the passion these dudes have for the instruments.
jkstraw
Jerry
Jerry

Postby ebick » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:17 pm

jkstraw wrote:Story was shared (including a rukind mention) on Weir Here this evening.

Cool....wasn't able to catch this "episode". Any chance someone has that clip to post?
Ed

First Show - 5/5/77
Last Show - 3/28/93
ebick

Postby aiq » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:39 pm

Get on the TRI mailing list, they repeat the Weir Here segs. May eventually get to the archives there.

Speaking of which, the Weir and friends Other One with Kimock is just too sick.
aiq
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby waldo041 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:25 pm

I see that Tom Lieber is allowing himself to be written as having a hand in Rosebud and Cripes "Bolt". Truth be told, and he cannot deny it, he was an apprentice to Irwin and did help in the initial work of Tiger but was long gone on his own years before it was delivered to Jerry. He had no hand involved in any of the ornamental work or even the glue together of the body and neck. He only rough cut the body halves and neck. Yes, he was there at Tigers infancy, was an Irwin apprentice, but was not who Jerry went to for work. The misinformation is being allowed to be written and is definitely the beefing up of a resume that is simply not true.

Tom Lieber has done and still does make some awesome instruments has some patents in the industry. Tom surely does not need to allow this, he has done good on his own, but he should not be inserting himself or allowing his name to be attached to things he has not done. He should be putting the credit solely on Irwin where it is rightfully deserved, or Cripe for that matter.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Thomas Lieber » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:16 am

I do not get the opportunity to review no less edit anyone’s article. I have zero control over the copy written by others. So facts (true ones as well as false ones) get muddled often.

With regard to my personal history at Irwin guitars, I haven’t ever referred to being involved with the building of Rosebud or Crieps Bolt. The Rock Hall made a mistake when researching.

My credentials as a designer and builder of the modern electric guitar are displayed solely by my catalog of creations, not thru the co-opting of others life’s work!

Jerry's Wolf and Tiger were our times and our history and I believe it all to be a positive thing!

Thomas Lieber
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion