My Phiga Bolt - Questions for Bolt Owners?

Re: My Phiga Bolt - Questions for Bolt Owners?

Postby mikelawson » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:08 am

So you're suggesting the actual back of the horn, not under the horn?

gmchart wrote:I've had a 'neck heavy' guitar before, and yes you can get used to it, but it's a pain. I'd start with putting your strap button on the back of the horn as close to the tip as you can. Drill it right so the screw doesn't split the wood. If that doesn't balance it right you can use a sharp 1/2 in. spade bit to drill right into the tip of the horn (be freakin careful) to give the button a full seat. A screw hole on the back of the horn can be hidden, and an inch can make a big difference in balance.
mikelawson
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby mikelawson » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:09 am

So you're suggesting the actual back of the horn, not under the horn?

gmchart wrote:I've had a 'neck heavy' guitar before, and yes you can get used to it, but it's a pain. I'd start with putting your strap button on the back of the horn as close to the tip as you can. Drill it right so the screw doesn't split the wood. If that doesn't balance it right you can use a sharp 1/2 in. spade bit to drill right into the tip of the horn (be freakin careful) to give the button a full seat. A screw hole on the back of the horn can be hidden, and an inch can make a big difference in balance.
mikelawson
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby playingdead » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:34 am

Ol' Jer had his drilled into the point ...

playingdead

Postby mikelawson » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:33 am

Thanks for that image, I'll probably have it mounted somewhere around there to let it hang like a Strat. I want Phil to put the strap button on for me in the event it doesn't go right and cracks, etc he can fix it. I'm ready to get this thing, been waiting a long time and now I'm just marking the days. :)
mikelawson
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby NSP » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:35 am

mikelawson wrote:I'm sure eager to get this thing, been waiting a long time. Its supposed to be here in time for me to get to know it before I go to WI to emcee and perform at the Grateful Garcia Gathering Aug 1-4.

Hey Mike! I will be at the GGG as well. My band, New Speedway Players, has a Thursday slot right before Brian Lesh and Ross James.

I can totally relate to you being eager about getting your guitar. If all goes as planned, I will have my AO Wolf for that gig....I'm chomping at the bit waiting as well!

Hope to see you there (and show each other our new guitars),

-Tim
NSP
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby jalevinemd » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:52 am

playingdead wrote:Ol' Jer had his drilled into the point ...

Definitely the big balls spot for the luthier to tap into. :-)
jalevinemd
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby mikelawson » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:41 pm

Nice to meet you, Tim. I'm emceeing the entire four days and playing solo in-between each act, so there's no way you won't meet me since I'll be announcing your band to the audience. :)

I'm bringing my bolt with me to sit in with folks, but playing mostly acoustic over the week. I did it last year and it was awesome. I just heard from Phil that my Bolt is shipping out on Tuesday. STOKED!

NSP wrote:
mikelawson wrote:I'm sure eager to get this thing, been waiting a long time. Its supposed to be here in time for me to get to know it before I go to WI to emcee and perform at the Grateful Garcia Gathering Aug 1-4.

Hey Mike! I will be at the GGG as well. My band, New Speedway Players, has a Thursday slot right before Brian Lesh and Ross James.

I can totally relate to you being eager about getting your guitar. If all goes as planned, I will have my AO Wolf for that gig....I'm chomping at the bit waiting as well!

Hope to see you there (and show each other our new guitars),

-Tim
mikelawson
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby Mosfed » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:01 pm

For my Resurrection Bolt I have it on the top horn. I wouldn't like the balance on the back.

While we are talking about Phil's guitars, I bought this Wolf from him 1 year ago and since purchased a Moriarty. Could use a good home. mother of pearl inlays, midi, piezo, super 2s, etc. amazing guitar and workmanship. 1/2 the price of the Moriarty and probably 70% as nice.

Drop a line

--
"And I'm here by the road, tied to the load, that I picked up in ten thousand cafes and bars" - Barlow
Mosfed
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby mikelawson » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:42 pm

That's a lovely wolf. What are you wanting for it?
mikelawson
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby lightningbolt » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:29 am

lightningbolt
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby jalevinemd » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:52 am

lightningbolt wrote:I thought it might be helpful to see a couple of close ups of my Phiga.

I'm sure it's secure but, wow! That makes me nervous just looking at it. Phil must have been sweating bullets when he started drilling there. :-)
jalevinemd
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby mikelawson » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:50 am

Very helpful, thanks. Phil told me yesterday that my custom Stanley Mouse cover art inlay was done and drying now, and that he'd snap a photo when he gets a chance and send it over. I can't wait to show Stanley! :hail:

He's supposed to ship it on Tuesday, but with the holiday next week that's gonna make me wait and extra day or so and the anticipation is killing me. :?

mikelawson
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby midnightrainband » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:02 pm

Hey,

While we're talking Phiga, I have a question. I have a Wolf from Phil and while it is amazing I feel like the split to single coil just doesn't sound quite right. It just seems to sound like less output but not a single coil. I've been wanting to have it checked out but have not got there yet. Anybody have an idea or experience like that? I'd appreciate any feedback as I want the perfect sound. Thanks!
midnightrainband
tiger
tiger

Postby lightningbolt » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:50 pm

Phil builds beautiful guitars but I don't think wiring is his strong suit. My bolt was the first one he built with a buffer....from Waldo. It came wired incorrectly and was always on....I went through about a half dozen 9 volts before I emailed Waldo and he diagnosed the problem.
lightningbolt
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby mikelawson » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:36 pm

lightningbolt wrote:Phil builds beautiful guitars but I don't think wiring is his strong suit. My bolt was the first one he built with a buffer....from Waldo. It came wired incorrectly and was always on....I went through about a half dozen 9 volts before I emailed Waldo and he diagnosed the problem.

How long ago was that? Maybe he's gotten better since then (I HOPE!) but I'm resigned to the level that as long as the guitar is built well and playable, being in Nashville, I can always get somebody awesome at wiring to get that right later. My bolt is getting the MIDI/Piezo Ghost system, which is modular in connecting, so maybe it won't be so hard.
mikelawson
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone