need a strat neck for jerrycaster, suggestions?

need a strat neck for jerrycaster, suggestions?

Postby GeneralGoldilocks » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:33 am

hey all,

you guys are always a fountain of information and good advice. I need a neck for a loaded strat body i just bought on ebay. i have been stratless for a couple of years now and pulled the trigger on a loaded body for 550. I have a fully jerrified ibanez musician and it is spot on for jerry, but i am finding i like my tele better for my band that plays a handful of dead tunes, and then other rock, country, electrified hippie grass type stuff. I still want to make this strat a total jerrycaster, but also want it to be fairly versatile for other stuff too. Any ideas on necks for Jerry tone? Maple vs Rosewood? after market (warmoth, mighty mite, musikraft) vs fender. If fender, USA vs Mex vs Japan? I'm trying to do this on a budget, but seems like a neck is something you don't want to skimp on. Here are the specs:

This is the best factory offering in a stratocaster from Fender

Official Fully Loaded American Fender Vintage Series '62 Reissue (AVRI) Stratocaster Body- Desireable 2 Piece Body

American Vintage Series Fender Stratocaster with ASH BODY- "Thinskin" Nitrocellulose Finish, some playwear but still in great condition...

Compare new at a popular parts vendor on eBay at $899,

Includes Serial # Neck Plate

Mint 3 Ply Pickguard-

Pickups are a Sheptone Vintage Strat in the Neck, 69 Custom Shop with Abigail Ybarra Initial in the Middle and a Custom Shop Texas Special in the Bridge w Bridgeplate. This combo makes for a fantastic sound...

11 Tone "DeafEddie" Chomocaster 5 position Rotary Switch more info here: http://www.deaf-eddie.net/switches.html
These are great switches for additional pickup combinations and the standard strat tones as well, better than an S-1 switch by far

- Vintage Synchronized Tremolo w/ Full Steel Block & Fender Stamped Saddles-- Genuine Fender

Color: 3 Color Sunburst

Condition: Excellent

Year: 1999

Country/Make: United States- American Vintage Series
like waves against the bandstand dancers broke
GeneralGoldilocks
Keith
Keith

Re: need a strat neck for jerrycaster, suggestions?

Postby NorthboundRain » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:30 pm

I highly recommend Warmoth necks, I've had a few and they've always been great. For a Jerry Strat I'd start with a maple neck with a maple fretboard similar to Alligator or the Strat he plays in the Sunshine Daydream Movie. You could also consider an ebony fretboard if you prefer the look. Ebony and maple are both very hard woods known for bright tone.

A key difference your hearing between the Tele and the Musician may be related to scale length. Fender guitars have a 25.5" scale length (distance from the nut to the bridge) and Ibanez Musicians have a slightly shorter scale length (24.75?). Longer scale lengths tend to have more "snap" and most of Jerry iconic guitars were 25.5".
NorthboundRain
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby GeneralGoldilocks » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:44 pm

wow, you must have been reading my mind about warmoth and scale length, i have been digging the longer scale length for playing and for listening lately. the les paul 24.75 inch scale length is cool for a lot of stuff, and the ibanez musician is a great jerry guitar, don't get me wrong, i'm just finally getting around to getting a strat back in the repetoire again. trey anastasio from phish digs his 25.5 inch scale length for more "bite" as he calls it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG-jXPQe1ak

also been figuring i will go with a warmoth after a bunch of research online, they seem to get the best reviews. probably will pick up a lightly used one. i really love jerry's strat tones from the 73 74 era and the wolf with strat pickups from later 74 and beyond.
GeneralGoldilocks
Keith
Keith

Postby hippieguy1954 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:33 am

I have one here: http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/msg/3810807793.html

If you are interested, I would sell an RUKIND member the neck and tuners for $100 plus shipping or just the neck for $75 plus shipping.
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby strumminsix » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:17 am

What neck radius will you be ordering? I like 'em flat so 16". I found USA Custom Guitars to be much more comfortable that Warmoth for that radius.
strumminsix

Postby shadowboxer » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:52 am

I trust the opinion of custom guitar maker Ron Kirn. He gets his necks from USA Custom Guitar for his builds. Many options available with regard to wood, radius, and shape.
shadowboxer
Keith
Keith

Postby seamones » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:08 pm

This thread is TOAST! ;)
seamones
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby barefootdave » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:47 pm

I have loved every Warmoth neck I ever had. For the price, though, HippieGuy is hard to resist.
Barefoot Dave
"His job is too shed light, not to master"
barefootdave
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby MAGGOTBRAIN » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:02 am

I have a couple Warmoth necks and they are wonderful but get pricey on the custom specs.
Just thought Id post this http://www.fender.com/necks-bodies if you wanted a new genuine Fender neck at an OK price.
MAGGOTBRAIN
tiger
tiger

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:18 am

Mighty Mite is worth looking at.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby mikelawson » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:39 pm

i have a parts-caster with Warmouth or some other cherry sunburst body, with a Mexican-made rosewood fretboard 60's era Strat neck that is just heavenly.
mikelawson
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby Mr.Burns » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:08 am

+1 on trusting Ron Kirn's opinion. He knows his strats.
Mr.Burns
Phil
Phil

Postby waldo041 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:50 pm

tigerstrat wrote:Mighty Mite is worth looking at.

+1

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby GeneralGoldilocks » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:30 pm

thanks for all the advice, and the offer to even sell me a neck. been out in the woods for work and had a gig on the 4th, so been out of the loop. So the most inexpensive way to go was to buy a bad ass parts caster that came with an awesome looking warmoth neck (i hope awesome playing) and a sweet hardshell case for the strat. need to get it all in the mail and put it together, set it up and let it rip, i'll let you know how the results go. I may even have to switch bridges, pickups, etc.... i have one neck and two loaded body's to make the best jerrycaster/player strat i can, so it will be a fun project no matter what! I'll probably have some of the guitar listed below for sale (bridge, body, pups, pickguard, and will post it in the garage sale for all you strat builders out there). Here is what I got, which sounds like it should be great by itself, but the other loaded body has a custom shop 69 in the middle, and the deaf eddie switch so i can have a huge selection of tones, including some series and out of phase setting which will be pretty cool.

This guitar started as a Mexican made standard Stratocaster, but is now a collaboration of the best parts you can buy for Strat-style guitars.
Neck: Warmoth 5A Flame Maple with Brazilian Rosewood Fingerboard (bought 5 years ago when you could still buy Brazilian RW), 6100 Dunlop Frets; 10"-16" compound radius; 1 5/8 inch nut width; 59 Les Paul rounded profile (Thicker than a standard strat, but super fast!)

Tuners: Kluson Deluxe staggered (eliminates the need for a string tree)

Body: Alder with three tone sunburst. I attempted some aging on the body, but decided to stop quickly after starting. This can be seen in the pictures and it in no way affects the tone or playability of this guitar...just a little extra character. I also painted on a pinstriping decal below the bridge that starts red and fades to black as it wraps over the body. Once again, just a little character.

Pickups: Lollar Blackface in the neck position with two Fender Custom Shop Texas Specials in the middle and bridge positions (the same pickups used in the Stevie Ray Vaughan Strats)

Bridge: Callaham Vintage S Model Strat Bridge. The best aftermarket strat/tele hardware you can buy. Check out Callahamguitars.com for more details.

I just had this guitar professionally set up in Boston and it sound and plays incredibly! To be honest, I hate to see it go. It was my first electric and I've been playing for 13 years now and buying guitars left and right...Something had to go to make room for the next addition. If you have any questions or want to see any more pictures, please send me an email and I will gladly get back to you! Thanks
GeneralGoldilocks
Keith
Keith

Postby GeneralGoldilocks » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:45 pm

seamones wrote:This thread is TOAST! ;)

Simmons! I'm still toastin' in the sun out here in Montucky learning that if you want to get paid at a bar gig, you need to play other stuff besides the two kind of music that really matter, JGB and GD. Packer's Roost misses you.
GeneralGoldilocks
Keith
Keith

Return to Jerry Tone