My Phiga Bolt - Questions for Bolt Owners?

My Phiga Bolt - Questions for Bolt Owners?

Postby mikelawson » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:24 pm

Hello everyone.

This is the front of my new Bolt from Phiga. I am expecting Phil to ship it in the next week or so. Phil has been wonderful to work with so far and I'm really excited to be getting my own Bolt-style guitar with all the custom electronics and art that can make it my own while still paying tribute to the fat man.

Phil's customizing it with Dimarzio SDs, and the Ghost Piezo for Acoustic and MIDI, plus the UGB and OBEL. I guess to use it to its fullest capacity, I'll have three cables hanging off of it, but the sound should be worth it. I am going to buy a box from Hard Truckers for the OBEL so I can just use one TRS cable for it. It could be really crazy with FOUR cables if I use a TRS to splitter to take the acoustic PIEZO out to its own channel or amp. I hope I don't trip on all the cabling!

The lightning bolt is being replace with an inlay to match my Ticket to Fly album cover artwork that Stanley Mouse did for the record. Its a flying peyote button.

On the back I've made a black dot where I'm thinking of putting the strap lock button. Its there or it has to go on the back behind the top horn, or it would go under the horn but that seems a bit awkward. Can any other Bolt owners chime in as to where they put their strap locks? Thanks!

ml
mikelawson
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Re: My Phiga Bolt - Questions for Bolt Owners?

Postby Stella Bloo » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:27 am

Looks nice and good luck. I have a Phiga Tiger and love it. Phil is great to work with and I still communicate with him today. He really is a craftsman and takes alot of pride in his work. I am completely happy with my Tiger and now thinking of getting a Wolf from him. They look outrageous.
Stella Bloo
Donna
Donna

Postby TI4-1009 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:11 am

Nice! Congratulations from another satisfied Phiga (Tiger) owner.

Can you get some of that cable bundling stuff (Techflex?) that has enough room to hold three or four cables? I have it for my OBEL cables and it does a nice job, check AO Guitars if you can't find it.

I always liked having my button on the horn rather than the back, just feels better balanced and more secure there, less of that Gibson "tipping away from the body" feel, but to each his own.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby jalevinemd » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:23 am

I've got a Resurrection Bolt and have the strap lock on the underside of the upper horn. I've got two Gibson SG's which have the straplock on the back. With the weight of these Bolts (mine's a hair over 10 lbs) I'd be concerned about the tendency to tip forward. I think it'd be really awkward on the back.
jalevinemd
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby lightningbolt » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:08 am

I have a Phiga Bolt with a custom inlay Phil did for me. He does great work and is a pleasure to deal with. My bolt has the strap button on the tip of the horn. I was a bit scared to put it there as the horn does come to a pretty sharp point however it has been trouble free and solid as a rock for three years.

Jer had his on the tip of the horn as well.....I put my wand strap on and it makes me feel closer to the man. Lol.
lightningbolt
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby Jon S. » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:39 am

I advice against putting it on the back of the guitar. I had one like that on one of my acoustics. It never hung right. It allowed the guitar to tip forward while playing. Also, when the guitar goes in the case, its weight may rest on the button.
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby jalevinemd » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:28 pm

Here's mine. I'd also be nervous about having it right in the middle of the point.

Last edited by jalevinemd on Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jalevinemd
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby lightningbolt » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:58 pm

Here's mine...before the hole was drilled.

lightningbolt
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby mikelawson » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:50 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll go with it under the horn. I'm typically a Les Paul guy, so the weight won't bother me so much. I've got a white LP Custom that is close to 12lbs! :cool:

BTW, the inlay work on the "Rosey" Bolt image I saw while lurking here was one of my deciding factors for getting Phil to make my Bolt with my Mouse artwork. I'm hoping to see that Phil does as good a job translating my Mouse art to the cover as he did with the other custom inlays he's done for some of ya'll.

I'm sure eager to get this thing, been waiting a long time. Its supposed to be here in time for me to get to know it before I go to WI to emcee and perform at the Grateful Garcia Gathering Aug 1-4.
mikelawson
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby mikelawson » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:51 pm

Thanks, I think I'll send this pic to Phil to tell him where to put the strap button.

jalevinemd wrote:Here's mine. I'd alos be nervous about having it right in the middle of the point.

mikelawson
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby mikelawson » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:56 pm

The Bolt seemed like a natural for a back/neck joint strap hang, but then again it seems most folks are going with it under the horn for the weight.

I'll check out the Tecflex, thanks for the tip. I never thought I'd have a guitar that could have as many as four output choices!

TI4-1009 wrote:Nice! Congratulations from another satisfied Phiga (Tiger) owner.

Can you get some of that cable bundling stuff (Techflex?) that has enough room to hold three or four cables? I have it for my OBEL cables and it does a nice job, check AO Guitars if you can't find it.

I always liked having my button on the horn rather than the back, just feels better balanced and more secure there, less of that Gibson "tipping away from the body" feel, but to each his own.
mikelawson
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby mikelawson » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:57 pm

It was pics of your guitar plus the reviews from others on Phil's work of late that made me go with him and get the custom inlay done, so thanks for posting. I'll be sure to post mine when I finally get it. :)

lightningbolt wrote:Here's mine...before the hole was drilled.

mikelawson
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby Winterland » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:46 pm

Mine is on the tip of the Horn. It is also solid after two years. On a side note. Does phil make the end caps quickly?
Winterland
Jester
Jester

Postby mikelawson » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:49 pm

I'm not sure how long the caps take to make, I just know he said he was working on it and would ship it to me by the middle of July, so I'm hoping that's what happens. I am JONESING for this thing. :)

Winterland wrote:Mine is on the tip of the Horn. It is also solid after two years. On a side note. Does phil make the end caps quickly?
mikelawson
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby gmchart » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:11 pm

I've had a 'neck heavy' guitar before, and yes you can get used to it, but it's a pain. I'd start with putting your strap button on the back of the horn as close to the tip as you can. Drill it right so the screw doesn't split the wood. If that doesn't balance it right you can use a sharp 1/2 in. spade bit to drill right into the tip of the horn (be freakin careful) to give the button a full seat. A screw hole on the back of the horn can be hidden, and an inch can make a big difference in balance.
gmchart
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Next

Return to Jerry Tone