Pedal Noise

Pedal Noise

Postby Stella Bloo » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:05 am

Sorry if this is a basic question or in the wrong place. I am getting quite a bit of static running my guitar through my pedals into the amp at reasonable volume, not even that loud. If I plug my guitar directly into the amp it is stone quiet but once I start adding pedals I am getting static. I have tried to isolate a "victim" and it seems my Loop station is some of the culprit but Earth Drive, Blues Driver and Tuner all add up.

They are all plugged into the same strip outlet as my amp as well as the pedals are fairly close to my amp in my home studio. Does that matter? Should I be plugging them into something else or should I be using some kind of power conditioner? I hear people talk about those but don't know anything about them. I am only playing in my home studio so don't want to purchase an expensive piece but any help would be appreciated.
Stella Bloo
Donna
Donna

Re: Pedal Noise

Postby JustinJohn » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:39 pm

Not to discount your theory, but my personal experience with pedal-related noise always came down to the cables... What kinda patch cables are you using? Have you tried different cables in different places?

:smile: :smile: :smile:
JustinJohn
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby waldo041 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:59 pm

What are you using to power the pedals, not the outlet but the actual 9 volt power supply?

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Stella Bloo » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:20 am

Thanks for the input Waldo,

I actually have tried different cables. The power supply's are all the Boss factory power supply's, even for the Earth Drive. All the connections are the gold plated straight connections. The Boss RC-3 Loop Station seems to make more "white noise" than the others but when I add all of them it is even more.
Stella Bloo
Donna
Donna

Postby Mr.Burns » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:04 am

Can we assume that this set-up worked noiselessly at one time? Or has it always been this way? If isolating each pedal doesn't offer any clues, maybe it's something else sharing the circuit? No ground lift on the amp?
Mr.Burns
Phil
Phil

Postby Stella Bloo » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:19 am

I actually switch between two amps and the both get the noise. Do you think having them all plugged into a single power strip be the problem?
Stella Bloo
Donna
Donna

Postby tigger » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:42 am

Have you tried the possible offenders with batteries, and if so did you still get the noise?
tigger
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby hippieguy1954 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:55 am

When you refer to your loop station are you referring to an effects loop? If so, what kind of effects loop are you using?
First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby Stella Bloo » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:24 am

Good thought, I have not tried them with batteries, only the power supply's. The Loop station I am referring to is the Boss RC-3, loop station recorder, not the loop effects in regards to an amp. I am running guitar into effects pedals into amp. I'm almost at the point of not using pedals anymore and just running clean into my amps as it is irritating.
Stella Bloo
Donna
Donna

Postby schmidtz » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:25 am

I have the DigiTech JamMan Looper, and I find it to be hugely noisy... so much so that I had to ditch it.

You also said that you have two amps... if you are using some sort of A/B box to play with both amps, there is the possibility that you have created a "ground loop", which will cause a large amount of noise. Fulltone has a wealth of information on this subject.

It is also beneficial to use a power supply with independent, dedicated jacks, such as the offerings from VooDoo labs. If you are using just a regular daisy chain connection for all the power supplies, there can be some noise from that too. I found that even with my looper plugged in to the power supply, but not in the signal chain, it introduced some noise.
"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."
schmidtz
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby TI4-1009 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:28 am

schmidtz wrote:I have the DigiTech JamMan Looper, and I find it to be hugely noisy... so much so that I had to ditch it.

Oh swell, I just got mine.....
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby schmidtz » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:35 am

I *think* that an isolated power supply would help it. On your pedal, notice that there is a light that blinks with the tempo... then listen for a nice static sound that lines up with it. Maybe I just had a bad one.

I still do use mine for goofing off, but when I say that I ditched it, I mean to say that it is simply not plugged in all the time.
"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."
schmidtz
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby Stella Bloo » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:34 pm

Thanks everyone,

I bit of a novice on this but do you think something like a Voodoo Labs pedal power would help? I noticed on the website it looks like a possible solution but their are alot of models and have no idea which one would be beneficial. I currently run 6 pedals in my chain. I am thinking all of those wall warts in a power strip may be the issue.

Any thoughts or experience?
Stella Bloo
Donna
Donna

Postby GeneralGoldilocks » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:03 pm

I have the voodoo labs power supply and it does help, I also run sound and always have a power conditioner nearby i plug the pedalboard with the voodoo labs power supply into and have seemed to eliminate noise problems (except single coil pickups, especially P-90's!) I think the voodoo labs power supply is a good unit, the conditioner doesn't do much, although i don't really understand electronics that well. True bypass pedals are always a good idea, too.
like waves against the bandstand dancers broke
GeneralGoldilocks
Keith
Keith

Postby Stella Bloo » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:45 pm

Thanks,

Which Voodoo labs unit do you have, there are quite a few and a bit confusing to a non techie. I have 6 pedals in my chain, all Boss Power supplies, I assume at 9V but I don't see a Voodoo that has 6-9V slots.
Stella Bloo
Donna
Donna

Next

Return to Jerry Tone