Literally

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Re: Literally

Postby TI4-1009 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:26 pm

waldo041 wrote:Thank you for the grammar lesson, being on or about the subject, it was absolutely needed in my thread. Of course you meant no harm whatsoever since it was absolutely on topic. Additionally, feeling the need to create another thread to show my ignorance of the english language is very much appreciated as well. You are without a doubt a savior to the forum and I look forward to your perfect grammar in the years to come. Let me see if i have learned my lesson with a sentence using the word. You, my friend, are literally an ASSHOLE! Is that the correct way to use it? Or does actually work better?

~waldo

I really did mean no harm whatsoever Mike, I honestly have the highest respect for you- and I think you know that. I'm sorry if you took it the wrong way. I apologize again.

(I think "actually" would be better, although now that you mention it I did pop a hemorrhiod this morning and am actually feeling almost literally like an asshole today.)
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby RiverRat » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:29 pm

tcsned wrote:As to the use of l33t speak or Internet slang - in a forum like this I'd say it is perfectly acceptable to use lol, IMHO, and the like.

I think you have 1337 speak confused with TXT speak... Leet was born in the late 80's on dial-up BBS's, it's a simple form of encryption that used character substitution to make speech unreadable by adults or the uninitiated.

Example:

714-1009 7r13d 70 p0wnz0r w4ld0. wh47 4 n00b!

TXT speak is a form of lossless compression, conceived back in the days of expensive SMS messaging. It was devised to allow the sender to compress a message to fit within the 160 character limitation, while still allow the receiver to extract the meaning of the message.

Example:

LOL SMH WTF? Noob!

Both have their place in internet slang, now you know the difference.

And now I go back to lurking... and literally doing nothing but banning spammers.
RiverRat

Postby Mr.Burns » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:36 pm

This thread interests me, literally.

Your jaw could literally hit the floor if you're already in the carpet-surfing position, or some other pose involving close floor-jaw proximity, when the sound reaches the ear-hole. The argument assumes that the reader is an upright-walking humanoid and is therefore fatally flawed.
Mr.Burns
Phil
Phil

Postby ccw3432 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:13 pm

:-)
ccw3432
Billy
Billy

Postby TI4-1009 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:11 am

"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

TI4-1009

Postby Stone » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:41 am

The whole spelling/grammar nazi thing has always made me LOL, I mean who gives a F ? Then again the only thing facebook has taught me is that there is a direct correlation between people who i know are d-bags and spelling nazi activity.

But i wouldnt have that problem becuz hooked un foniks werked fer me :D :D
Stone
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby zambiland » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:28 am

This thread is the kind of tedious nonsense up with which I will not put.
zambiland

Postby Mr.Burns » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:29 am

I certainly don't give an F. Or any other letter, for that matter. I don't care if the grammar and spelling Nazis invade proverbial Printed Poland, I'll be safe, due to my mastery of our language. :-)

But seriously, if you speak it, study English. The origins of the words we use go a long way towards explaining their usage. In Greek, etymology or etymologia, means: "the study of the true sense". Basically. It's truth-seeking in it's most simplified form.
Mr.Burns
Phil
Phil

Postby playingdead » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:20 am

This is really a generational difference.

The Dead were a literate bunch of guys ... they were well grounded in all aspects of art, literature, history. They were all articulate during interviews, even guys on the crew, like Big Steve. It was part of the era ... you read Kesey and Kerouac, maybe even Nietzsche or Dostoyevsky. You expanded your mind with books and art, not just drugs and music. And you listened not just to the Dead, but to Coltrane and Tchaikovsky. Phil, Weir and Garcia, in particular, would have lengthy discussions on philosophy, religion, existentialism, science, physics, you name it. That was part of the deal ... you were smart, educated and you dropped out of conventional society and tried to build a better world. They were all well read guys, ready and willing to rave about any subject all night long. Expanding your mind was about knowledge, too. McNally touches on a lot of this in his writings about the Dead.

They had big vocabularies, Garcia in particular; they played in Toronto in 67 and the review headline in the paper was "Grateful Dead: Hirsute simian horrors." Someone said, "What's that mean?" And Garcia said, "It means we have a lot of hair and walk on our hind legs." How many here would know what hirsute means without Googling it?

To quote Scully, "it's not like the Allman Brothers bus, where everyone is reading comic books."

A lot of old-school Deadheads came from similar backgrounds ... going to Dead shows in the 70s and early 80s was a lot different from the grungy tour rat scenes you see today. You met people with master's degrees and PhDs.

Garcia remarked that he thought one of the reasons Brent got lost in alcohol, drugs and violent episodes was because despite his prodigious musical talent, he had grown up in the 'burbs of East Oakland and had never been exposed to literature, art, ideas ... he said Brent was like a guy in a box, a totally gray world. He couldn't think beyond his daily existence, and alcohol numbed the boredom that his mind could not overcome.

Things in culture today are significantly dumbed down in comparison ... and the decline of language and the written word is a sign of it. No offense intended to anyone in particular, I'm talking about millions of people hanging on Justin Beiber's tweets and Miley Cyrus' clothes and the latest stupid reality show celebrity meltdown. This is what popular culture has degraded to ... LOL, why u mad tho?

It's not necessarily wrong, it's just different.

So when you see someone calling someone else out over a comma, a preposition or a tortured simile, try to take it in the same spirt as you might call someone out over playing a completely wrong chord in the middle of Crazy Fingers. For people who read a lot, or write or edit for a living, it's just as jarring.
Last edited by playingdead on Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
playingdead

Postby TI4-1009 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:54 am

Best post of the thread.

TI4-1009

Postby strumminsix » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:04 am

TI4-1009 wrote:I really did mean no harm whatsoever Mike, I honestly have the highest respect for you- and I think you know that. I'm sorry if you took it the wrong way. I apologize again.

I think you meant to say:
I really meant no harm whatsoever, Mike. I honestly have the highest respect for you and I think you know that. I'm sorry that you took it the wrong way. I apologize again.

Don't forget the comma around names and avoid comma splices.
strumminsix

Postby TI4-1009 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:12 am

Damn..... :oops:

TI4-1009

Postby zambiland » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:13 am

TI4-1009 wrote:Best post of the thread.

+1. I have to say that the best music I've played is with people who are culturally literate. Musicians who aren't tend to either approach music as athletics or as merely aping the characteristics of icons they perceive as successful. Case in point: Vince Herman. Playing music with that dude is inspiring. He's read in every genre, knows art, history, science, etc. and can have an intelligent conversation about all of it. I used to skip out on the party when on the road with Great American Taxi to hit up museums, etc., and he always had tips about the best paintings or sculptures to check out.

Music is a language and if you don't have a good handle on our collective cultural experience, you've got nothing to say. Jerry, Phil, Bob and the boys had a lot to say. That was one of the most inspiring parts of being around the scene in the 70s. I always met people who were really interesting and passionate about knowledge and experience, not just drugs. Sadly, it's been a long time since that was the norm.
zambiland

Postby mgbills » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:18 am

Primum non Nocere

Given an existing problem, it may be better not to do something, or even to do nothing, than to risk causing more harm than good.

This is typically associated with medical ethics.

I get it. In the 3rd grade my youngest son (a lefty and a luthier) had the most beautiful penmanship. It was never reinforced. His writing is illegible now. It drives me crazy. The decline of mathmatics & reason in schools drives me crazy. I could go on...reading, grammer, whatever.

In life we progress through a series of interactions with other humans. The impression we leave on them is all we really sow. Now I'm a notorius babbler, and I'm sure that I've offended lots of folks in my life. For many years I was an affable over-consumer, and I'm sure in those times I offended people. It is not my intent to judge or to point fingers.

But I do try to remember...first do no harm.
Peace
M
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby strumminsix » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:42 am

TI4-1009 wrote:Damn..... :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

All in good fun, dude!
strumminsix

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Else