Amp Not For Sale - remove if wanted

Sell and buy at your own risk...

Re: Modded McIntosh Mc2100 For Sale

Postby TI4-1009 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:44 pm

waldo041 wrote:
mijknahs wrote:What do you have to replace your amp? An MC2300?

I literally have an mc2105 on the way! :cool:

~waldo

"By Jove, I think he's got it!"
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby hippieguy1954 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:47 am

hippieguy1954 wrote:Seems like a fair deal and everything, but why wouldn't you say what the mods are? Is it a secret or what?

I have a 2100 in very good shape and was going to disable the Sentry Monitor as suggested on your site. Is that the mod?

Mike, are you going to answer?[/quote]

Sure, since i am being called out to do so, are you interested in the amp or just the mods?

Yes, i guess you can consider my mod to be a secret. however, the sentry mod does coincide with it but that is not a secret.

~waldo[/quote]
Thank you for answering, Mike. Wasn't "calling you out". Just asked a question. I am only interested in the mod. That was my question. Sorry to bother you. It sure won't happen again.
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby SpaceYrface43 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:51 am

over priced.
SpaceYrface43
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby waldo041 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:20 am

SpaceYrface43 wrote:over priced.

Which part is overpriced, my work to the unit or the unit itself? I agree with you if it were a stock unit with work needed it is overpriced, but this is not that unit. It has been recapped, except for the big cans which did not need to be, and tested. It then was modded to my specs. So now with that knowledge, what is overpriced about this unit? I am sure if Hard Truckers, Alembic or CAE sound put there names on it you could double what i am asking.

I respect your opinion, just want to understand your logic?

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby schmidtz » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:25 am

waldo041 wrote:
SpaceYrface43 wrote:over priced.

Which part is overpriced, my work to the unit or the unit itself? I agree with you if it were a stock unit with work needed it is overpriced, but this is not that unit. It has been recapped, except for the big cans which did not need to be, and tested. It then was modded to my specs. So now with that knowledge, what is overpriced about this unit? I am sure if Hard Truckers, Alembic or CAE sound put there names on it you could double what i am asking.

I respect your opinion, just want to understand your logic?

~waldo

Probably that there are two units on eBay for less. One for $600 (o.b.o., $50 shipping) and one for $900 (free shipping). Now, even if they needed a ton of work, they would end up less than $1100, and they don't have a large 1/4" jack routed into them.
"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."
schmidtz
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby waldo041 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:53 am

So you are saying the modifications/work I have done to this unit should put the price at or lower then a stock amp selling on Ebay with the possible need of work, which may or may not need additional shipping to get said work? If a stock amp is what I was selling it would be priced accordingly, but this is not a stock amp, it can be brought back to stock if wanted. But then why wouldn't just buy one of the amps that are cheaper on eBay? My time and work is not free as some may like to think or demand.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Re: Amp Not For Sale - remove if wanted

Postby SpaceYrface43 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:04 am

I understand the work done but I scored a pair of damn near mint MC2100 for $800.00. Hogan is currently using one of them with Workingman's Dead.
SpaceYrface43
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby Jon S. » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:03 am

It is in poor taste to comment negatively on what others are asking for gear they're selling. Indeed, where I generally sell my gear, The Gear Page, the following is a RULE, the breaking of which gets you an infraction the first time around, a suspension the second:

7. No negative comments allowed about someone's pricing or gear. If you think that the price is too high, move on and don't buy.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... p?t=838881

I'm sorry you had to experience this re: your McI, Waldo. FWIW, most of us understand the value inherent in a fully serviced item worked over by an acknowledged Dead tone expert.
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby JonnyBoy » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:21 pm

Good point Jon.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby PaulJay » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:15 pm

In all due respect to Spaceyrface43, just because one thing was bought for a good deal ($800), does not mean every similar item is overpriced. There is always a book value as a starting point. And only Waldo knows what his time and expertise is worth.
PaulJay
Billy
Billy

Postby mgbills » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:06 pm

My take is this...
Mr. Wald is amongst the most prolific contributors to our tonal endeavors. He has spend untold hours helping many of us. I would venture a guess he's answered the same question to different individuals hundreds of times, especially around buffer installation. Time is $$ folks, and Mr. Wald has been extremely generous giving information free that could be measured & observed directly from GD family stuff. It seems that the pursuit of equipment and tonal knowledge of the Garcia systems is a passion for Mr. Wald. He has figured out how to contact people like Ramrod, Dan Healy, The DSO guys, RRHOF, ...and the list goes on. And he distills it for the curious beginner.

Last I heard the Garcia amplifiers were Koonsed (sp? gr?)

So...I must conclude that these McIntosh mods are changes Mr. Wald figured out by his own tenacity, wit, intelligence, and experience.

I will also share that I caught an inkling of this in a thread 3 months ago. When he posted the video last week, I pm'd him and said "Sign me up! And...consider me a paying customer."

I have no freakin' problem at all paying. None. Zero. Zip. I mess with my rig, and some guitars owned by others on this board. I could not have built that knowledge base without Mike's website & his help.

So ....send me the bill my friend. I want my Mc250 with the full-griddle Waldo upgrade!
Peace
M

...Sorry for the rant. I'm usually a pretty peaceful guy, but I have a short fuse with too much entitlement.
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby Jimaroe » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:03 pm

Mgbills. You sir, are spot on. I wanted to chime in earlier and then thought better of it. Glad to see somebody much more eloquently stated my thoughts. I'll add just this, the value of ANYTHING, is exactly what somebody else is willing to pay for it. Period. Any good or service is worth what someone is willing to give for said product or service. And, yes, Mr Wald's knowledge has a premium. I've purchased lots of DEAD or gear related products from folks on here. I've always looked at the luthiers, electricians, wood craftsman et al, as doing all of us a favor by making their product or service available here and almost always at an RUKinder (read below market) price. That said, Mike, continue to put your work for sale here and ask what you want for it. My guess is, you'll get your asking price.
Jimaroe
Jester
Jester

Postby hippieguy1954 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:20 am

There is entirely too much personal politics involved with this forum. There is a hierarchy and clicks and egotistical behavior supported by suck ups who have their noses up someone's ass.

I had to ask the same fucking question of Mr. Wald several times before even getting an answer. I even noticed that Mr. Wald ignored my question and replied to other later posts, until I asked it again and again. Then I got a very reluctant, almost snide answer. I have always been very pleasant and respectful towards Mr. Wald and thankful toward him. So, seems he (as most of us) also has more than one face. Here is the convoluted answer I received: "Yes, i guess you can consider my mod to be a secret. however, the sentry mod does coincide with it but that is not a secret." Obviously the Sentry mod is not a secret. It is on his site. Seems he was skirting the question for some convoluted reason I have no idea of. Very poor taste.

It's embarrassing and disturbing reading the sucking up that people are willing to spew here in hopes of being acknowledged by the hierarchy.
Also, if you think Mr.Wald found out all that information solely by himself with no help or support from anyone else at all, I have a bridge to sell you.
I'm sure that anyone of many of us would have done the same admirable thing as Mr. Wald did with the information he received. Share it.

Edit: As far as pricing goes, I have already said it seemed fair. These days, a decent 2100 goes for around $600 or so with shipping (depending on the cosmetic condition). Will cost you another $200 to $300 to get back to factory specs (if needed). So, it was in the ball park.
Last edited by hippieguy1954 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby RiverRat » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:34 am

The one thing the naysayers have not factored into the price... Waldo's support of his products and work.

Any that has bought a piece of electronics from him knows his support is outstanding. He consistently goes above and beyond to assist with every issue the buyer could have. If there was a short list of gear gurus on RuKind, Waldo would be in the Top Five without question. Paying a little extra to have exclusive access to that knowledge is a no-brainer in my opinion.
RiverRat

Postby lunasparks » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:54 am

Well, this thread has been a disappointing and disheartening read for me. A guy who has done the legwork for years and has provided it to all of us free of charge lists a very awesome amp and gets shit from some folks here. Sigh. Where to begin?

First, a simple search of eBay over the past several months shows an average price for functioning MC2100s at $650 plus $60 shipping, so let's call it $700 all-in. Now, as an owner of a couple of Macs myself I assure you there is a meaningful distinction between "functioning" or eBay sellers saying "it sounds great" and the amp actually being optimized for Jerry tone. For those of us serious about this quest, if you can't do upgrade work yourself (if you can, this is not your market anyway) then you know you're looking at round-trip shipping and a tech's repair bill--this will run, say, $300. So, you're in for $1,000 already if you want a primo amp with years of killer tone ahead of it. That leaves, in this case, a $100 premium for Waldo's backing and a little (or maybe a whole lotta?!) special mojo. Hmm...doesn't quite sound to me like highway robbery! I completely discount arguments about price in the face of facts and my own experience.

Next, this recent post about sucking up and hierarchies is asinine. We are entitled to absolutely nothing from Mike Wald or anyone else when it comes to information they have painstakingly pulled together over the years. They've given us gifts of precious time & energy. Biting the hand that feeds because on this go 'round it's not quickly dishing out the generous, filet-laden platter you've come to expect is rude, shortsighted and stupid. Don't be that guy.

I still consider myself a newbie here and I'm searching for ways to give back to the group. Frankly, I don't have the skills (either technical or in playing) to offer a lot in return...but what I can offer, at a minimum, is humble appreciation for the efforts and generosity of others. Finally, it seems to me there's been an unusual amount of negativity and snide stuff on the board of late. It'd be nice if that would all disappear as we move ahead. Ruadick or Rukind?
Last edited by lunasparks on Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lunasparks
Billy
Billy

PreviousNext

Return to Garage Sale