Literally

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Literally

Postby TI4-1009 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:20 am

by waldo041 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:13 pm

TI4-1009 wrote:
I would hope that, whomever gets this, their mouth would figuratively hit the floor, not literally hit the floor.

Absolutely agree, I did not realize a figure of speech would be taken literally among us adults. But realize now there are children here as well.

I don't want to gunk up Waldo's post in the Garage Sale any further, so I'll move this over here. And I won't bite on the "children" comment, Mike.

First, let me apologize. I was in fact an English major for one year of college, so I do try to pay attention to the details of our our common language. I always used "literally" in the dictionary sense and got my knickers in a twist when I heard it misued as in Waldo's post. But in digging into it today I'm learning that it has been misused this way so often that it's now becoming accepted- even making it into the dictonary as an alternate meaning. So I was wrong.

Here's an internet article describing how I always understood this:

"10 Words You Literally Didn’t Know You Were Getting Wrong

Literally vs. Figuratively

Last month, Joe Biden sent the grammarian crowd into a tizzy by misusing the word literally multiple times in his speech at the Democratic National Convention. For the record, literally means “actually; without exaggeration.” For some reason, this word gets used all the time to mean figuratively, which is the exact opposite concept. It's unknown to me how this particular usage came to be so popular--maybe it just rolls off the tongue better than figuratively, or maybe it’s like using the word badass to describe something as incredibly good and desirable. Who knows why, but one thing is for certain; Biden literally needs to hire a new speech writer.

If you are a fan of the show Parks and Recreation, then you have probably heard the character Chris Traeger (played by Rob Lowe) abuse the word literally. Like Biden, Chris frequently misuses the word (“I have a resting heart rate of 28 beats per minute. The doctors who studied me said that my heart could, literally, pump jet fuel up into a jet.”), but his character is so obnoxiously upbeat that on some occasions, you actually believe him when he says “Biking for charity is literally one of my interests on Facebook.” Either way, the term fits the character perfectly, which is why it's funny whether he uses it correctly or not. For the rest of you, though, unless you literally mean exactly what you are saying, don’t use the word literally. If you have to use SOMETHING, try the word actually. "

http://litreactor.com/columns/10-words-you-literally-didnt-know-you-were-getting-wrong

But I don't think it's childish to try and use words correctly- even if it is here in our little just-us-guys backwater internet community. Ask Hunter. Ask Barlow. They agonize for days to get just the right word in a song or in almost anything they write- because it's worth it. You're conveying information to another person. You don't hear "Hail at my back literally like a shotun blast" because he's talking about a figuative shotgun blast, not a literal one (a blast from a 410 actually blamming into your spine will do a real job on you).

So I'm sorry if I ruffle feathers here occasionally with the grammer and spelling stuff (I'm (literally :-) ) the world's second-worst speller). If someone here said they were selling a guitar for $500 plus $50 shipping and wanted $600 for it, we'd call them on their math. And if Waldo were to slip and say you want to put a 100 ohm volume pot in your Tiger to be just like Jer's we'd all say "um, Mike, could you please double-check that...?" Right is right and wrong is wrong whether it's arithmetic, circuit diagrams, the guitar Jer used on 8/27/72- or grammar. I'm really not trying to be a smart ass, a dickhead, or ruin the laid-back party for everyone and most of the time I can just sit on my hands and let it go, but occasionally I just can't help myself. Sorry guys, I guess there's one in every crowd (that would be me). And this has to be the first time in my life I've ever been called an "anal retentive wonk"! You gotta see my desk, and my car, and my music room, and..... :lol:

So again, my apologies for mucking up Mike's McIntosh ad. Using "literally" the wong way is now so common it's becoming accepted and I'll just shut up and grit my teeth if you want to go ahead and use it that way, I'm a big boy, I can take it...

(and just to show you how this bugs me, I watched my Bruins give up the lead with 1:17 left in the third and go on to lose the Stanley Cup, but I rolled around in bed last night pouring over literally vs. figuatively. Go figure....)

"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Re: Literally

Postby schmidtz » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:35 am

Nicely stated. I also dislike seeing our language slide.

As part of the "children" group that was previously mentioned, it bugs me when I see my contemporaries allowing such things as "lol" and "omg" to become commonplace in our vernacular. I will be right there with you, fighting the good fight.
"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."
schmidtz
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby strumminsix » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:07 am

"Let's eat, Grandmother" vs "Let's eat Grandmother"

Can you spot the cannibal vs caring grandchild? :shock: :lol:
strumminsix

Postby playingdead » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:17 am

Who can forget what is possibly the worst grammar ever to grace a rock lyric, courtesy of Vince Welnick on "Way to Go Home?"

"But looking at you, baby, you remind myself of me." :shock:
playingdead

Postby TI4-1009 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:19 am

..or as they used to say when I lived down in Amish country- "Throw me down the stairs a coat." :shock:
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

TI4-1009

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:29 am

TI4-1009 wrote:by waldo041 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:13 pm

TI4-1009 wrote:
I would hope that, whomever gets this, their mouth would figuratively hit the floor, not literally hit the floor.

Absolutely agree, I did not realize a figure of speech would be taken literally among us adults. But realize now there are children here as well.

I don't want to gunk up Waldo's post in the Garage Sale any further, so I'll move this over here. And I won't bite on the "children" comment, Mike.

another " ouch " moment ?
:-)
Tennessee Jedi

Postby mgbills » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:56 am

I had a buddy 20 years ago. He'd move to Washington from LA. I'd just arrived from NY.
Great guy, but ...he always messed this up.

"Mt. Rainier is literally a sleeping giant!" To which I would say...no Dwayne...it's a mountain. He would say...."No...it's literally a sleeping giant!"

Oh...and his other saying "That guy is literally running like a chicken with his legs cut off!" Huh :roll:

Don't get me wrong...this guy was a world class buddy...and a damn fine climbing partner...but when you spend a few miserable nights at high altitude with a guy...you get to see his foibles.

Like me using ... to illustrate a mental pause.

Peace to all.
M
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby tcsned » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:14 pm

Lol - or my favorite split infinitive - "to boldly go where no man has gone before" or maybe to go boldly :-)

As a historian passive, passive voice has always been one of my pet peeves. I do a lot of proof reading at work, though I a awful at proofing my own work :oops:
tcsned

Postby tcsned » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:21 pm

As to the use of l33t speak or Internet slang - in a forum like this I'd say it is perfectly acceptable to use lol, IMHO, and the like. If you used it in a paper back when I was teaching college history, you'd see a big red mark and points taken off. That being said, you should still use proper grammar. I love T14's signature quote - "do not write to be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." Sage advice and a great way to approach writing.
tcsned

Postby playingdead » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:44 pm

Someday I will write a book titled "Words Good to End Sentences With."

I always thought it was funny that Sting, a former English teacher, wrote "if you love someone, set them free."

I am dealing with an intern right now, he is working on a masters and he would misspell "cat" if you spotted him the "c" and the "t" ... no lie.
playingdead

Postby RiseandFall » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:47 pm

I think 99.9% of us knew you meant it lightheartedly and without malice, and knew you meant zero ill will to someone who is an icon on this forum.
I may have said the same thing if I wasn't a newbie here and hence hypersensitive to not offend.
No....not may have....would have....it would be just too difficult to resist.
RiseandFall
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby tcsned » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:08 pm

playingdead wrote:Someday I will write a book titled "Words Good to End Sentences With."

I always thought it was funny that Sting, a former English teacher, wrote "if you love someone, set them free."

I am dealing with an intern right now, he is working on a masters and he would misspell "cat" if you spotted him the "c" and the "t" ... no lie.

There's a funny grammar joke that I like to tell to illustrate ending a sentence with a preposition.

Set up: UVA people tend to look down on the VT students and alumni as unsophisticated rubes.

A VT agricultural student had to travel to Charlottesville to the UVA library to conduct some research. He stopped a student to ask, "do you know where the library's at?" The UVA student responded, "at the University of Virginia we do not end out sentences with a preposition." The VT student thought for a second and asked, "do you know where the library's at, asshole!" :lol:
tcsned

Postby TI4-1009 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:44 pm

"tcsned A VT agricultural student had to travel to Charlottesville to the UVA library to conduct some research. He stopped a student to ask, "do you know where the library's at?" The UVA student responded, "at the University of Virginia we do not end out sentences with a preposition." The VT student thought for a second and asked, "do you know where the library's at, asshole!" :lol:

Ha. I always heard that as a baseball joke, the batter saying to the ump "So where was that one at, asshole?"

TI4-1009

Postby waldo041 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:53 pm

Thank you for the grammar lesson, being on or about the subject, it was absolutely needed in my thread. Of course you meant no harm whatsoever since it was absolutely on topic. Additionally, feeling the need to create another thread to show my ignorance of the english language is very much appreciated as well. You are without a doubt a savior to the forum and I look forward to your perfect grammar in the years to come. Let me see if i have learned my lesson with a sentence using the word. You, my friend, are literally an ASSHOLE! Is that the correct way to use it? Or does actually work better?

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby hippieguy1954 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:28 pm

As usual, I say "to each his own" , as long as the person or people you are talking to know exactly what you are conveying. Mikes post (as written) is very clear.

As far as the "grammar police" goes I agree with Mike. This is not really a grammar forum, as such. I guess it could be a stretch for "everything else" , but come on.

Yea, Jedi, big "ouch"! :lol: You come up with the funniest shit. :lol:
First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Next

Return to Everything Else