Hunter!

Hunter!

Postby TI4-1009 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:41 am

Hunter will be back on the road for a few east coast shows this fall! Best news I've had in a long time. Road Trip!
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
User avatar
TI4-1009
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1562
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:27 am
Location: Upstate NY- Toodaloo

Re: Hunter!

Postby Dogs In A Pile » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:08 pm

Robert Hunter is the most musically interesting surviving member of the dead. And Bill Kreutzman, of course. He's always been my third favorite member after Garcia and Hunter and he has done some cool stuff since Garcia died.

Any time I can see ex grateful dead members playing live music without some Garcia clone on guitar, I feel as if the true spirit of what Garcia was all about is being carried on.
Originality is what made Jerry great. I don't want to hear anyone else impersonate him.
User avatar
Dogs In A Pile
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:06 pm

Re: Hunter!

Postby Poor Peter » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:43 pm

Dogs In A Pile wrote:Robert Hunter is the most musically interesting surviving member of the dead. And Bill Kreutzman, of course. He's always been my third favorite member after Garcia and Hunter and he has done some cool stuff since Garcia died.

Any time I can see ex grateful dead members playing live music without some Garcia clone on guitar, I feel as if the true spirit of what Garcia was all about is being carried on.
Originality is what made Jerry great. I don't want to hear anyone else impersonate him.

Agreed. Im definitely more interested in hearing Garcia inspired players than someone trying to clone him. Nothing against those who do. In fact, its fun to hear how close some guys can get. Just not something I will go out of my way to see.
Poor Peter
Terrapin
Terrapin
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Hunter!

Postby waldo041 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:57 pm

I think i know the answer but am going to ask anyway, have either of you guys (dogs in a pile/poor peter) ever see the grateful dead live?


~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2830
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 10:58 am
Location: Indiana

Re: Hunter!

Postby Dogs In A Pile » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:28 pm

waldo041 wrote:have either of you guys (dogs in a pile/poor peter) ever see the grateful dead live?


Yeah. Do you now want a list of shows? Why would that even matter? Are you suggesting that I would tolerate a Jerry Garcia clone more if I have seen Garcia live?

My point was: I think Nostalgia acts and unoriginality are the antithesis of what Jerry Garcia offered. ( 90's notwithstanding). Not looking forward but backward and trying to recreate a sound that was unique and sincere (and gone forever!) is not particularly impressive. It doesn't matter that I've met Kesey or got in free on their final new years show, or that I saw all 3 nights in Hampton 1987 (plus Worcester and Philly), the last 3 of the 6 disappointing and totally overrated MSG shows in '90, the lackluster Bill Graham memorial show and a bunch of others starting in the mid 80's (I witnessed the only version of Revolutionary Hamstrung Blues to be performed live and the first "Let Phil sing" chant) before Garcia almost died and before the success of In The Dark kinda spoiled it all.

Can you imagine Garcia being alive and hiring a Phil or Bobby clone to play with him? Yeah, right.
User avatar
Dogs In A Pile
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:06 pm

Re: Hunter!

Postby gmchart » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:46 pm

I'm a huge fan of Hunter, as a lyricist. What he and Garcia did together was magic. But what Hunter did live was never close to what the Dead did with his tunes. As far as the question about JK goes, what should Phil and Bobby have done? Give it up, go another direction,....what? They picked the best guy to fill the space.
gmchart
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 1:51 pm
Location: Helena Mt.

Re: Hunter!

Postby Dogs In A Pile » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:01 pm

I get tired of people saying Hunter was just a lyricist. The man wrote songs. Garcia sometimes embellished what Hunter had written. Read his story about Friend Of The Devil.

Can you imagine Jerry Garcia adopting another man's life's work, cloning it and making his living from it? I'm not necessarily against a person doing that, I just think it's worth very little. It's worth nothing to me. That doesn't mean it's not valid. Kreutzman's played dead covers that don't feature a guitarist who clones Garcia and they kick the ass of all those copy cats. This music is/was about self expression.

Robert Hunter seems all heart to me. I'll go see him.
User avatar
Dogs In A Pile
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:06 pm

Re: Hunter!

Postby gmchart » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:03 pm

To dogs in a pile, Yeah I could certainly see the rest of the band hiring a Bobby or Phil clone.
gmchart
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 1:51 pm
Location: Helena Mt.

Re: Hunter!

Postby Dogs In A Pile » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:12 pm

Phil can not be cloned.
User avatar
Dogs In A Pile
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:06 pm

Re: Hunter!

Postby gmchart » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:17 pm

Enuff, I'm goin' to bed.
gmchart
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 1:51 pm
Location: Helena Mt.

Re: Hunter!

Postby waldo041 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:19 pm

Dogs In A Pile wrote:
waldo041 wrote:have either of you guys (dogs in a pile/poor peter) ever see the grateful dead live?


Yeah. Do you now want a list of shows? Why would that even matter? Are you suggesting that I would tolerate a Jerry Garcia clone more if I have seen Garcia live?

My point was: I think Nostalgia acts and unoriginality are the antithesis of what Jerry Garcia offered. ( 90's notwithstanding). Not looking forward but backward and trying to recreate a sound that was unique and sincere (and gone forever!) is not particularly impressive. It doesn't matter that I've met Kesey or got in free on their final new years show, or that I saw all 3 nights in Hampton 1987 (plus Worcester and Philly), the last 3 of the 6 disappointing and totally overrated MSG shows in '90, the lackluster Bill Graham memorial show and a bunch of others starting in the mid 80's (I witnessed the only version of Revolutionary Hamstrung Blues to be performed live and the first "Let Phil sing" chant) before Garcia almost died and before the success of In The Dark kinda spoiled it all.

Can you imagine Garcia being alive and hiring a Phil or Bobby clone to play with him? Yeah, right.


Well, guess that makes me wrong once again! It won't be the last time either. While i don't agree entirely with your opinion, actually none of it, i do respect it. Now for mine, Nobody is cloning Jerry! He is one of a kind, NEVER to be replicated. Some need to get over that one. Every one of these Jerry "type" of players carry their own take of it to the table. It is all an interpretation, to include what Hunter or Kreutzmann have to offer. Nostalgia act? Unoriginal? Whatever! Maybe Jerry didn't need a Phil or Bobby to play with him, but so what if Phil and Bobby want a Garcia to play with them.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2830
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 10:58 am
Location: Indiana

Re: Hunter!

Postby waldo041 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:41 pm

Dogs In A Pile wrote:I get tired of people saying Hunter was just a lyricist. The man wrote songs. Garcia sometimes embellished what Hunter had written. Read his story about Friend Of The Devil.

Can you imagine Jerry Garcia adopting another man's life's work, cloning it and making his living from it? I'm not necessarily against a person doing that, I just think it's worth very little. It's worth nothing to me. That doesn't mean it's not valid. Kreutzman's played dead covers that don't feature a guitarist who clones Garcia and they kick the ass of all those copy cats. This music is/was about self expression.

Robert Hunter seems all heart to me. I'll go see him.


As you know, Opinions are like .... We ALL have one. However, facts are for real and fact is Hunter was the Lyricist and Garcia was the Composer. Maybe you should read Hunters "Elegy for Jerry Garcia". Hunter himself states the facts. In fact, one could say Hunter is making an effort to "Clone" what Garcia offered. If your argument is that they are his songs to interpret, then why are Phil and Bob not allowed the same?

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2830
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 10:58 am
Location: Indiana

Re: Hunter!

Postby Dogs In A Pile » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:59 pm

I don't have an argument, Waldo. I'm expressing a feeling.

I've read Hunter's Elegy more than once. Hunter wrote some music, too. Garcia wrote a huge percentage but Hunter had some musical input on some of those tunes. It's not a fact that Hunter had no musical input. Read his blog about Friend Of The Devil. Garcia didn't even take a writing credit on It Must have Been The Roses.
User avatar
Dogs In A Pile
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:06 pm

Re: Hunter!

Postby Poor Peter » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:56 am

waldo041 wrote:I think i know the answer but am going to ask anyway, have either of you guys (dogs in a pile/poor peter) ever see the grateful dead live?


~waldo


150+ shows bro. Not sure what that has to do with anything???
Poor Peter
Terrapin
Terrapin
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Hunter!

Postby Mr.Burns » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:02 am

I saw Hunter once. He made a mistake then immediately laughed about it on-stage. I was immediately endeared for life. Who cares who wrote which part, he was there when these songs were being born. He was inducted into the HOF with the rest of the band. Barlow was not, IIRC. So even the band draws a distinction between Hunter, the bard, and Barlow, who would be better described as "lyricist".
Image
User avatar
Mr.Burns
Phil
Phil
 
Posts: 307
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:01 pm
Location: Far out, man.

Next

Return to Grateful Dead General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 0 guests