Qtron Plus

Qtron Plus

Postby jalevinemd » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:49 am

Hey guys,

I've tried searching the forum for the ideal settings on a Qtron+. Have found plenty for the Micro and the Originals. Does anyone have the magic recipe for the Plus? I'd appreciate any help from some of you masters of Jerry tone.

Thanks. :-)
jalevinemd
Pigpen
Pigpen

Re: Qtron Plus

Postby ccw3432 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:13 am

Here's how I set mine:

Range: LP
Response: Fast
Range: Lo
Peak: 8:00ish
Gain : 10:30ish - I adjust it a bit to match pickup strength and how open I want the envelope.
Boost: Off
Sweep: Toggle in up position
ccw3432
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby jalevinemd » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:24 am

Thanks. I'll give it a whirl.
jalevinemd
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby softmachine72 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:46 am

you will never get there with out the Mutron III
softmachine72
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby jalevinemd » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:05 am

I was afraid someone was going to say that. I just didn't want to make the investment in a Mutron for a few songs.
jalevinemd
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby softmachine72 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:08 pm

you can find them for cheaper, if you find ones that are not working. i bought one for $180 and all that was wrong with it was a bad resistor in the power supply. just make sure all the parts are there. The songs that use it are the great ones Estimated , Fire, Shakedown, need I say more. He used it also for moody, spacey transitional things. It sounds kick ass with the octave divider, kind of like a Bassoon on 4 hits of Fry.
softmachine72
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby jalevinemd » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:41 pm

I can hear the unmistakable sound of the Mutron on EP and FOTM. But in so many others in the 80's it seems like there's more to the tone than just his guitar into the amp. I know that tone comes from the hands and heart but I figured there was some other "secret ingredient." Always thought it was the Mutron with a less pronounced wah effect.
jalevinemd
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby waldo041 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:51 pm

softmachine72 wrote:you will never get there with out the Mutron III

Not an entirely true statement. The original qtron and a few other ones dialed in come really really close. That said, The key to any of them is to give them the strongest signal possible. The OBEL helps immensely in achieving that. It allows for the envelope to see the strongest signal pre volume control. Since the volume is after the effect, the volume control helps to control the high end transient spikes they can produce. To achieve a similar type of approach with no OBEL, a volume pedal after the envelope helps with the transients but you need to keep the guitars volume full on. Raising the pickup height also helps in both scenarios.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby jalevinemd » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:10 pm

waldo041 wrote:

Not an entirely true statement. The original qtron and a few other ones dialed in come really really close. That said, The key to any of them is to give them the strongest signal possible. The OBEL helps immensely in achieving that. It allows for the envelope to see the strongest signal pre volume control. Since the volume is after the effect, the volume control helps to control the high end transient spikes they can produce. To achieve a similar type of approach with no OBEL, a volume pedal after the envelope helps with the transients but you need to keep the guitars volume full on. Raising the pickup height also helps in both scenarios.

~waldo

Yeah...I was wondering how the OBEL would come into play with the Qtron. Unfortunately my Bolt doesn't have one. The Tiger I'm getting from Leo will. Might just have to wait a bit before I really start experimenting.
jalevinemd
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby JustinJohn » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:02 pm

I find I can get there quite effectively with my q-tron. I also noticed some of the feel and response changed and grew closer to that 'Dead Set'(81) sound when I finally got my McIntosh in line... :cool:
JustinJohn
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby softmachine72 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:28 pm

I guess never is a strong word. I have never heard the original Q-tron are they pricey also? My Mutron did not sing until I did the CAE kit.
softmachine72
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby Marleyboy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:43 am

I've tried about 8 different filters including new and old q trons . The old one was closer but nothing like having a crowd of dancing people go nuts when you click on the real deal . I've had issues with my mutton from day one however .last week it was working fine then right when I really needed it it let me down ....again ! It all of a sudden wont pick up the high e string . Any advice on this Leo and company ? I bought it already modded with a tone knob , witch is kinda annoying cause it moves around all the time do I'm constantly trying to find that sweet spot. Even though it is finicky as all hell I just can't settle for anything else now that I have used the mutron .
Marleyboy
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby mgbills » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:31 am

If you aren't electrically gifted, you could send it to Richard Lingenberg.

Great guy.

http://www.lsound.com/index.htm
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby Marleyboy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:52 am

I had someone go through it already cause I cannot get in touch with the guy you mentioned . I wanted a power supply and emailed the guy a hundred times and called him . Worse costomer service evèr . I think I'm gonna send it to my boy Leo at scarlet >fire guitars ,
Marleyboy
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby Smolder » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:19 am

I'd love to have a mutron III, but they are pricey. I've pretty much given up on the mxr auto q... still trying to beat something out of the protron... but the old yellow mxr envelope filter get's there easily. A hot pickup or a boost are a pretty essential part of the formula.
Smolder

Next

Return to Jerry Tone