Buffer Bypass - FX Loop Blend Knob Video Demo

Re: Buffer Bypass - FX Loop Blend Knob Video Demo

Postby playingdead » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:57 pm

ScottWalkerGuitars wrote:No Toggle on this one for the loop, I usually do, but this customer opted out of that one (he doesnt play in a cover band). Youd probably want the buffer always on as well for that thing to...There are alwasy compromises.

Barry Sless has this on a couple guitars I built for him and he really likes the subtleties he gets from the blend knob...like at the start of the song, little or no effect then as the song progresses the effect gets blended in more, more dynamic and tweakeble. But for the guys playing in traditional cover bands or want that thing, i recommend the toggle - as well as the buffer always on. Certainly you can do both, just another switch.

Both would be cool ... even just a pull pot on the blend knob if they make one to eliminate an extra toggle. You could roll back or increase the delay or compression or overdrive, or, if you are using a crazy-ass fullrange setup like my Fractal, have one amp block in the effects loop and another out, and then blend from one into the other right from the guitar. Dang. :shock:
playingdead

Postby ScottWalkerGuitars » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:59 pm

Awe Yeah! Very cool. Its also cool putting reverb in there, if your like me and use reverbs/delays and such (in the loop), more than Mutron/overdrive, its super sweet dialing in the tones, especially with a looper pedal and a couple packs of Top Ramen.

Note: My goal isnt really to nail the Garcia thing, or "improve" it. Its just to twist it up a bit and see what else is out there....
I hope that comes across.
ScottWalkerGuitars
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby waldo041 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:10 pm

ScottWalkerGuitars wrote:The Super distortion in the bridge, I would think would be killer, and probably in reality getting Dimarzio "single coil" sized humbucker and putting it there would be a great option. Probably different than if we sabotaged a hum and turned it into a single coil, but... Im not aware of the Super distortion-bridge position coil split being utilized as much in "The Tone" as the Super 2 coil split middle position.....Maybe some one else can chime in on this.

Actually to the chagrin of many, ALL of the cowboy tunes utilize the bridge, single coil position. Also songs like cumberland and the intro to cold rain & snow come to mind. It is a position that is used, but a lot of guys think they can cover it with the middle split.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby ccw3432 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:54 am

Awesome guitar Scott. It's great to see what you're doing with the electronics and your guitars blow me away visually. I'm looking forward to owning one someday...

Really cool to hear how much the buffer effects the tone.
ccw3432
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby cmc64 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:38 pm

waldo041 wrote:
ScottWalkerGuitars wrote:The Super distortion in the bridge, I would think would be killer, and probably in reality getting Dimarzio "single coil" sized humbucker and putting it there would be a great option. Probably different than if we sabotaged a hum and turned it into a single coil, but... Im not aware of the Super distortion-bridge position coil split being utilized as much in "The Tone" as the Super 2 coil split middle position.....Maybe some one else can chime in on this.

Actually to the chagrin of many, ALL of the cowboy tunes utilize the bridge, single coil position. Also songs like cumberland and the intro to cold rain & snow come to mind. It is a position that is used, but a lot of guys think they can cover it with the middle split.

~waldo

Yep, that is exactly what I thought. My guitars are all currently single coil (not for long though) and while I sit on the middle pickup most of the time (and almost never use the neck), I always pop down to the bridge pup for the country-ish tunes - Cumberland Blues being a great example as I have been running through that one quite a bit recently.

Scott, you may have a PM coming as my Strat that will remain single coil has an SDS-1 in the neck and the bridge, but now, hmmm..... :-) :-) :-) It may be time for some experimenting.....

Also, I am right with you on not "nailing' the Garcia tone. I am after one that has the complexities of his tone (and of course similar in many respects) but with my own take on it. Kind of using his tone as a gateway to more fully developing my own sound. I think that is why I dig what I am hearing from your work as it sort of mirrors my own tonal trip.
cmc64
Billy
Billy

Postby Chuckles » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:56 am

Much appreciated, Scott. That was a fine demo of not only the circuitry, but also the quality of your builds. One day...

Meanwhile, I continue to enjoy that cab from last year! Keep up the great work, bro!
Seems like I've been here before...

The Road's Facebook Page (including links to tunage) is here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Road/ ... 200?ref=nf
Chuckles

Postby jackevorkian » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:31 am

So, does the Gibson style 3 way (Neck, N/B, Bridge) get defeated/overridden when you just want to use the middle pickup? Can't wrap my brain around the wiring for that setup.
jackevorkian
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby ScottWalkerGuitars » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:09 pm

Right on!

The three way mini toggle works the middle pickup, and the regular Gibson style selector works the neck and bridge pickup how youd expect.

The three way mini toggle in the up position is the middle pickup off, so the Gibson selector works normal giving you those settings. The idea here is that you can have "alternative" pickups in the neck and bridge, like PAFs or something, broadening the tonal pallet, Allman Bros, Clapton, or whatever you might be going for.

With the three way mini toggle in the middle position, it turns on the middle pickup, and the Gibson selector is also on. Giving you the in-between sounds, or all three pickups on at the same time. THis is cool, with the Dimarzio coil split.

With the three way mini toggle in the down position, the middle pickup is on and it shuts off the gibson selector, giving you only the middle position, kind of the "Garcia" setting on the fly type of idea.

A little confusing, but pretty intuitive after just a couple moments playing around with it. Also with the buffer on/off and booster on/off switches, FX loop blend, this gives you plenty of variations to explore.
ScottWalkerGuitars
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby jackevorkian » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:45 pm

Awesome...thanks for the explanation. What pickups are in the neck and bridge?
jackevorkian
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby ScottWalkerGuitars » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:50 pm

In this guitar, they are the Lollar humbucker sized single coils.
ScottWalkerGuitars
Rosebud
Rosebud

Previous

Return to Guitar Building and Mods