Buffer Bypass - FX Loop Blend Knob Video Demo

Buffer Bypass - FX Loop Blend Knob Video Demo

Postby ScottWalkerGuitars » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:23 am

Hey All! Heres a link to a video demo I did showing a guitar with a Buffer on/off switch, a Booster on/off switch and the OBEL Blend Knob.
The Buffer is wired before the loop, and the booster is wired after the loop.
Also, the Dimarzio Super 2 in the middle position coil split with and without buffer and boosters.

The lead guitar is going into the DR. Z Z Wreck amp, with a little delay and reverb. The FX is Earthquake Devices Grand Orbiter....

The Circuit is my own design, based on a standard JFET Buffer, as well as the JFET Booster, flat response and about 6 DB of gain available. Access both circuits independently or run them in series, with onboard trim pot or, external gain knob.....

I dont have the greatest chops so go easy on me!! My main goal is to try to capture the nuances of this type of circuit.

Anyway, I hope this helps answer some questions for new people wanting to hear what a buffer does to the sound of the guitar, as well as the Dimarzio thing.

Right on!
Scott

ScottWalkerGuitars
Rosebud
Rosebud

Re: Buffer Bypass - FX Loop Blend Knob Video Demo

Postby playingdead » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:57 am

Sounds great, Scott ... your chops are better than mine :shock:

Amazing to hear the buffer in action. Nice!
playingdead

Postby ScottWalkerGuitars » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:11 am

Ha! Yeah right! Thanks Vic! Make it up as you go, right?

I ended up going with the Shure SM57's into the Zoom h4n - synced with the Video ...
ScottWalkerGuitars
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby strumminsix » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:26 am

Wow! That is outstanding!!!
strumminsix

Postby Mr.Burns » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:34 am

Sounds great! I wish I could afford a Walker, but it's just not in the cards for me right now. So I'm wondering do you offer the circuit(s) for sale or only in your guitars?
Mr.Burns
Phil
Phil

Postby ScottWalkerGuitars » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:38 am

Sweet! Thanks Guys, im glad it comes through.

Yeah I sell my circuits for $100 - paypal to scott@scottwalkerguitars.com

Drop me a note to specify trim pot, or external gain pot.
ScottWalkerGuitars
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby tcsned » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:58 am

sounds awesome Scott! . . . and, damn! That guitar is gorgeous!
tcsned

Postby mgbills » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:59 pm

I am not the guy who usually makes this point...

But that blend system for the OBEL...Jerry'd a dug it! I haven't quite figured out what all the switches are doing, but I assume 2 coil taps, and OBEL on/off, and a Booster On/Off. It might be a bit much for a big band situation, but for a Solo/Duo/Trio type player...that would be a colossal setup.

I've got a couple Strat mods in line ...but that blender is definately in my thought process.

Peace Scott & Thanks. I

p.s. - I played a Walker Special a few years ago at Sylvan in Santa Cruz. People obviously dug it, as the strings looked like caterpillars. I could not at the time really give it a fair rip, as I was exclusively playing acoustic. I tried to get back down there during the New Years Furthur run...but that guy at Gryphon sucked me in...and the traffic jam on the southbound route didn't help.

Someday....
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby ScottWalkerGuitars » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:48 am

Yeah MGBills, its definitely allot to play with, overkill for most folks, but fun none the less! Next time your in Santa Cruz drop me a line!

Heres a pic of the controls and layout, I've been doing this quite a bit lately.

ScottWalkerGuitars
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby playingdead » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:55 am

Long live the Sarno Switch!
playingdead

Postby cmc64 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:32 am

Now that is the kind of demo video I like to see. Tip top playing, Scott, and some very refined, detailed tones that I could listen to all day. I have seen (heard) a few videos that do an A/B of the buffer on/off, but this one was the most well recorded so the subtle (and not so subtle) differences in the guitar's overall tone that are revealed by the use of the buffer have never been so apparent. Very well done! :snaps: One of the days (when I am rolling in dough :smile: ) I must have you build me a guitar. I am knocked out every time I see and hear your work. I also have not spent much tie looking into the Dr. Z amplifiers which has most obviously been an oversight. Most impressive.

As an interesting aside, I was not aware that the Earthquake Devices Grand Orbiter even existed. Being the phaser junkie that I am I almost bought one as soon as I heard it (and of course took a look at their website and listened to a few more demo's) but for the time being I need to save up my $$ so it will have to wait. But not for too long,

Lastly, I have the Split Super 2 that I got from you in the middle position of a Strat with SDS-1's in the neck and bridge positions (with a Blaster and OBEL) and your Split Super 2 sounds greta; it is perfect for a single coil setup. I have been toying with the idea of putting a Super Distortion/DualSound in he bridge but I want to keep that particular guitar in the single coil realm. Any thoughts on a "Split" Super Distortion? Might make a great bridge (or middle) pickup for those of us chasing the mid 1978 -> Early 1982 tones.

Cheers,

Kyle

edit: Almost forgot: The FX Blend knob is brilliant. The comment from mgbills about how Garcia would have been into it was spot on. After hearing it in action I am amazed that he didn't have it in his guitars. Having it is a no-brainer - it just adds so much versatility. I dig it and it will most certainly be added into a custom build that is (finally) beginning to take shape.
cmc64
Billy
Billy

Postby ScottWalkerGuitars » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:34 am

Hey Kyle! cool! Im glad it came through. Yeah the DR. Z is pretty sweet, and in a way my intentions are to show that some of the sparkle and clarity still come through nicely on a non JBL type rig.... for whatever that is worth. Brad Paisley sold me on this amp......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxqXyWbwUHk

The Super distortion in the bridge, I would think would be killer, and probably in reality getting Dimarzio "single coil" sized humbucker and putting it there would be a great option. Probably different than if we sabotaged a hum and turned it into a single coil, but... Im not aware of the Super distortion-bridge position coil split being utilized as much in "The Tone" as the Super 2 coil split middle position.....Maybe some one else can chime in on this.
ScottWalkerGuitars
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby playingdead » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:30 pm

So, Scott, no on-off switch for the effects loop on that setup? Is it either-or with a blend pot?

Just thinking of a tune like Estimated Prophet where you have to do multiple very quick in-outs on the envelope filter to play it like ol' Jer did.
playingdead

Postby mgbills » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:22 pm

Good Point PDead...

I was assuming that the buffer on/off was really the OBEL on/off.
Peace
M
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby ScottWalkerGuitars » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:20 pm

No Toggle on this one for the loop, I usually do, but this customer opted out of that one (he doesnt play in a cover band). Youd probably want the buffer always on as well for that thing to...There are alwasy compromises.

Barry Sless has this on a couple guitars I built for him and he really likes the subtleties he gets from the blend knob...like at the start of the song, little or no effect then as the song progresses the effect gets blended in more, more dynamic and tweakeble. But for the guys playing in traditional cover bands or want that thing, i recommend the toggle - as well as the buffer always on. Certainly you can do both, just another switch.
ScottWalkerGuitars
Rosebud
Rosebud

Next

Return to Guitar Building and Mods