My 1970 Twin Reverb Project

My 1970 Twin Reverb Project

Postby lunasparks » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:31 pm

Hey all - I thought some of you might enjoy the timeline I put together in the pdf below. It gives a little tour through a fun project I'm just wrapping up. I'd never modded an amp before and so was coming from a base of nearly nothing in terms of amp/circuit knowledge. But with a lot of patience, research and tons of help from our Waldo, I've brought a more or less dead amp back to life! :cool:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g9x5zie2hvjz1nu/1970%20Twin%20Reverb%20Mod%20Timeline.pdf

It was a cool thing to do and I'd recommend the experience to anyone who's been on the fence about diving into a fixer upper...or just considering learning how to work on their own amps. There's definitely a learning curve, but I got over my intimidation and (I think) developed something of new skill-set in the process. Anyway, no biggie with this thread--just a kind of FYI that I hope might help demystify amp repairs/mods for some folks out there. Just learn how to drain caps and unplug those things before cracking 'em open!!!
User avatar
lunasparks
Billy
Billy
 
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:55 pm

Re: My 1970 Twin Reverb Project

Postby mgbills » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:32 pm

You should be proud and STOKED!

I have a Twin head that has been in my amp heap for a year. You already helped me! That book with the map of components. When I modded my Deluxe, it took me a while to deduce all the caps in the tone stacks. I have the filter caps down, but then it got really tricky. I kept having to table it. Thanks to you, my project is back.

Great job.
Peace
M
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
User avatar
mgbills
Senior Member
 
Posts: 768
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:04 pm
Location: The Northwest Corner

Re: My 1970 Twin Reverb Project

Postby lunasparks » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:13 am

mgbills wrote:You should be proud and STOKED!

I have a Twin head that has been in my amp heap for a year. You already helped me! That book with the map of components. When I modded my Deluxe, it took me a while to deduce all the caps in the tone stacks. I have the filter caps down, but then it got really tricky. I kept having to table it. Thanks to you, my project is back.

Great job.
Peace
M


Excellent! That's why I posted it...jump back on that project!
User avatar
lunasparks
Billy
Billy
 
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:55 pm

Re: My 1970 Twin Reverb Project

Postby gpilcher2001 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:39 am

What value and brand of filter caps did you use? Greg...
good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor.....
User avatar
gpilcher2001
Terrapin
Terrapin
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:54 pm
Location: colorado

Re: My 1970 Twin Reverb Project

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:02 am

Nice set up Luna !
:smile:
User avatar
Tennessee Jedi
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4217
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:29 am
Location: Bucks Co.Pa

Re: My 1970 Twin Reverb Project

Postby lunasparks » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:09 am

gpilcher2001 wrote:What value and brand of filter caps did you use? Greg...


Three of the 500V 20uf and Two of the 350V 100uf by Vishay/Sprague...the Atom name brand (blue).
User avatar
lunasparks
Billy
Billy
 
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:55 pm

Re: My 1970 Twin Reverb Project

Postby NSP » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:50 am

Well done man! And, great write-up. That will definitely be helpful to many.

And your "stable" is quite impressive. Can I ask who the builder was on the Wolf?

Thanks for sharing.
User avatar
NSP
Rosemary
Rosemary
 
Posts: 287
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:28 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: My 1970 Twin Reverb Project

Postby lunasparks » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:06 am

NSP wrote:Well done man! And, great write-up. That will definitely be helpful to many.

And your "stable" is quite impressive. Can I ask who the builder was on the Wolf?

Thanks for sharing.


Thanks for the kind words! Wolf is by Matt Moriarty.
User avatar
lunasparks
Billy
Billy
 
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:55 pm

Re: My 1970 Twin Reverb Project

Postby lunasparks » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:07 pm

lunasparks wrote:
NSP wrote:Well done man! And, great write-up. That will definitely be helpful to many.

And your "stable" is quite impressive. Can I ask who the builder was on the Wolf?

Thanks for sharing.


Thanks for the kind words! Wolf is by Matt Moriarty.


Link below has a short clip of some tones I'm getting out of the amp. I've been troubleshooting a few hums/buzzes, etc. that cropped up but so far so good, I think!

https://soundcloud.com/lunasparks/2013-06-14-gomorrah-test3

I added some crowd noise to the 1st half of the clip...cheesy but fun. 2nd half is the clean tone. Also, there's a little EQ to bump the high end. I feel like my recording equipment sucks a little tone. Otherwise clean.
User avatar
lunasparks
Billy
Billy
 
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:55 pm

Re: My 1970 Twin Reverb Project

Postby zambiland » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:41 pm

Where do you get the Allen-Bradley pots?
zambiland
Senior Member
 
Posts: 528
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:13 pm
Location: Boulder CO

Re: My 1970 Twin Reverb Project

Postby lunasparks » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:26 am

zambiland wrote:Where do you get the Allen-Bradley pots?


I actually didn't change out the pots. All swapped components from Mouser.
User avatar
lunasparks
Billy
Billy
 
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:55 pm


Return to Jerry Tone

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest