Jerry Tone Attempt

Jerry Tone Attempt

Postby JamminJommy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:47 am

Howdy Ya'll,

Sorry I've been inactive, but I've been busy as hell. Been putting together a rig over the last several months with Craig Marshall of Cubensis from down in Southern California.

We're running a SMS CTP with JG mods through different power amps with different guitars. We had a chance to REALLY give things a go at the OC Music Festival. I have noticed how much of a different picking style makes in tone, and we had a rare opportunity here- Both Craig and I use Adamas, though he uses the corner of the pick, attacking lightly and dead on, whereas I use the tip at about a 45 degree angle.

Here's a Godfrey Daniels "Ghostfinger" with P92? pickups into the CTP, a BGW 250d, and 4x12 e120s:

Craig:

Me:

The following night, we ran a Curuthers guitar with Super 2s, split,OBEL, etc. into the CTP and then a restored (stock) 2300 and the 4x12 e120s.

Craig:

Me:

The upper cabinet is a Hardtruckers with two late 80s Es (one reconed by OC Speaker) and the lower one is the one I had made back in January with two Mid 90s Es that mijknahs sold me. His rig was been a point of comparison over the months. Thanks buddy!

Let me know what ya'll think, ideas, etc.

Peace,

Jommy
Strangers stopping strangers, just to shake their hand.

http://www.youtube.com/user/theuncommonsenseband
JamminJommy
Mickey
Mickey

Re: Jerry Tone Attempt

Postby tcsned » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:30 am

Nice Jommy, both the playing and your tone. What's the power amp you're using?
tcsned

Postby NSP » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:27 am

Really enjoyed those clips, good stuff man! Excellent tone all around, great chops, and really nice vocals.

What are you guys micing the guitar rig with?
Looks like it might be a Sennheiser e Series? Was just the top cab miked or was the bottom one as well?
NSP
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:55 am

Great playing , man !
:smile:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby JustinJohn » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:09 am

Nice wok you guys!!!

Sounds great!!

=)
JustinJohn
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby JamminJommy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:35 am

Thanks ya'll!

The power amp on Half Step/He's Gone is a BGW Professional 250D. On Catfish John/Fire its a McIntosh MC2300.

I believe the Mic was an e609. We only mic'd the bottom JBL of the top cabinet. The bottom cabinet has NO backpanel whereas the top is a Hardtruckers with their "3/4" open design.

We actually just picked up an MC2120. We're gonna toy around with that as the main power amp for a while (the 2300 was on loan and NO ONE wants to lug it around).

Peace,

Jommy

JamminJommy
Mickey
Mickey

Postby Jerry1996x » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:37 pm

JamminJommy wrote:
We actually just picked up an MC2120. We're gonna toy around with that as the main power amp for a while (the 2300 was on loan and NO ONE wants to lug it around).

Peace,

Jommy

You wont be disappointed. The 2120 IMO, is the perfect power amp. Its got lots of clean head room without being way too much, its not CRAZY heavy (like a 2300), and its brighter than the 2100. I love mine!

Awesome chops and killer tone!
Jerry1996x
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby jenkins » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:58 pm

Gotta agree on the mc2120, I got one and it's the shit.
IMHO it's the perfect size, plenty of headroom & the tone is just perfect IMO.
There's not many venues you can't play with a 2120 from a small
Bar like I usually play to a festival gig.

So many people on here say the 50w macs are loud enough but I have one & compared to the 2120 it just doesn't habe the balls, I have to have it cranked all the way and it doesn't give me the volume that I think is needed to get the right dynamics. IMO dynamics are crucial for playing Garcia style, your amp has to be loud enough so that even your notes that are hit softly still cut through and come across. This is obviously why Garcia needed the 2300, so you could hear EVERY note loud and clear.

I think for volume & weight the 2120 is perfect, loud as fuck without weighing TOO much. 65lbs mounted in a rack is not bad to carry, it's way easier than a twin reverb
Combo for me.
jenkins
Billy
Billy

Postby JamminJommy » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:47 am

Awesome. Can't wait to plug it in! Cubensis plays a variety of venues- everything from tiny bar stages to big festivals like in that video. We were thinking of fabricating some aluminum rack mounting wings (maybe with handles) since I can't seem to find a better solution for that. The plan is to try a few different mods too, and make em switchable to get different sounds and experiment.

Oh! I COMPLETELY forgot to mention that the rig in those videos (both nights, both guitars, both guitarists) includes an Earth Drive with the tone wide open, the drive between 0-20% (it got adjusted several times each night), and the volume set to bring the level as near unity as possible.

So... Woo! Sarno gear FTW! :hail:

Peace,

Jommy

JamminJommy
Mickey
Mickey

Postby JamminJommy » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:47 am

Awesome. Can't wait to plug it in! Cubensis plays a variety of venues- everything from tiny bar stages to big festivals like in that video. We were thinking of fabricating some aluminum rack mounting wings (maybe with handles) since I can't seem to find a better solution for that. The plan is to try a few different mods too, and make em switchable to get different sounds and experiment.

Oh! I COMPLETELY forgot to mention that the rig in those videos (both nights, both guitars, both guitarists) includes an Earth Drive with the tone wide open, the drive between 0-20% (it got adjusted several times each night), and the volume set to bring the level as near unity as possible.

So... Woo! Sarno gear FTW! :hail:

Peace,

Jommy

JamminJommy
Mickey
Mickey

Postby gpilcher2001 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:40 am

Sounds great man! Really getting that clean but dirty thing. Do you mind telling me where you have the earth drive in your chain? Do you use a bypass switcher? Is it in the loop or out? On all the time.... Greg...
good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor.....
gpilcher2001
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby JamminJommy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:41 am

We run the Earth Drive BEFORE the Pre-Amp, out of the effects loop so it's AFTER the guitar volume, and leave it on all the time.

The thinking is that Jerry was able to control how much he overdrove the amp with his guitar volume knob and picking dynamics. I also assumed that the pedal was designed and voiced with the intention of being run in the same part of the signal chain as traditional stomp-boxes (after the guitar, before the -pre-amp). We don't use a by-pass switcher other than the OBEL switch on the guitar. Interestingly enough, there doesn't seem to be any discernable difference with the loop engaged or not... but as I said, the Earth Drive is NOT in the OBEL.

I think everyone should own one. It's the only pedal I've ever toyed with where you can strum a six-string chord and it sounds crystal clear but unquestionably overdriven. The next closest item is a Klon Centaur but the price isn't remotely worth it.

Peace,

Jommy

JamminJommy
Mickey
Mickey

Postby gpilcher2001 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:45 pm

Yeah I like my earthdrive but I haven't quite dialed it in yet. So it doesn't mess with your other effects? Assuming on all the time means even when your running delay or other mods like phaser. You definetly are on the tone . Thanks Greg....
good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor.....
gpilcher2001
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby waldo041 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:48 pm

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby JustinJohn » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:51 pm

Go Jim and Ed!!

=)
JustinJohn
Terrapin
Terrapin

Next

Return to Jerry Tone