Question about 5 way switch

Question about 5 way switch

Postby ronnielongball » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:27 pm

Hey all, so I've built a jerry caster out of an SG style axe. Now I have looked at several different pictures of how to wire the blade not sure exactly what I have going on, but I am getting no sound when the switch all the way forward. I am going to attach the 3 versions I have seen. and further clarify my inquiry.

so jmfranc's is supposedly a detailed version of Waldo's, but it looks like they are on both sides of switch, as waldo's seem to be on the one. Now the first one I posted has jumper wires as well. Im not sure what I'm doing wrong. At this point it is wired like jmfrancs diagram with pickups on bottom closest to the body and buffer and caps on what would be the top. from the neck back it is buffer, bottom of stacked, 500k, top of stacked. the bottom is open, sds1, middle, bridge. Any help would be much appreciated. I'll post pics of the guitar soon.
ronnielongball
Vince
Vince

Re: Question about 5 way switch

Postby TI4-1009 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:53 pm

Use your multimeter and jump across various connection combinations and the three (or five) switch positions. See where you have continuity, wire accordingly. I had to do that with my Tiger as I had to use a non=standard switch to make it fit.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby hippieguy1954 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:02 am

The blue jumper wires are only used when you are sharing a single tone pot for two separate pickups.

The jumpers are not used when the "mod pot" tone pot is used because it is actually two pots in one.

Waldo's diagram shows using the "mod pot".

The other diagram shows regular tone pots. One being shared. Therefore the blue jumpers.

Hope that helps. :smile: :smile: :smile:
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby waldo041 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:14 am

Both of those replies are correct. The 5 way switch is a double pole design with one side inverted from the other. Both sets of lugs will have a common, neck, middle, bridge. The inbetween positions are combined in the switch. What you need to find with a continuity meter is the common which will be the opposite of the other set of lugs. So you have something that looks like this.

C-N-M-B. Pole 1
B-M-N-C. Pole 2.

Both poles are isolated from each other. The blue wire version is using the common to the tone control and jumpering the neck and bridge lugs to share the tone control. The one without the blue wires is not sharing a tone control and wiring each tone control to the pickup it is connectwd to. And if there were no tone control only the pickups hot conductor would be landed on its lug.

The neck may be where the bridge is and the lugs could be flipped but something like this is what is going on. Use the meter to figure out which is which.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Return to Guitar Building and Mods