BYOC NEW Clone of the Boss OD1 - Overdrive

BYOC NEW Clone of the Boss OD1 - Overdrive

Postby waldo041 » Fri May 24, 2013 5:00 pm

thought some might be interested in this build.

http://buildyourownclone.com/yellowoverdrive.html

~waldo
waldo041

Re: BYOC NEW Clone of the Boss OD1 - Overdrive

Postby TI4-1009 » Fri May 24, 2013 6:52 pm

What do you think about that iteration of the OD-1 with the Raytheon chip for "our needs"?
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby Mr.Burns » Fri May 24, 2013 6:57 pm

It sounds like the circuit is superior to the later Boss version(s?) I wanna build one just to find out about the chip...
Mr.Burns
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby waldo041 » Sat May 25, 2013 12:12 pm

TI4-1009 wrote:What do you think about that iteration of the OD-1 with the Raytheon chip for "our needs"?

I think it will be close, but better then the 4558 version he used. For the price though it is a steal given what the originals go for. This situation is very similiar to the mu3, ymmv. However, like boss they will probably have to switch to the 4558 once these raytheon chips are gone.

~waldo
waldo041

Postby bdhact1 » Sat May 25, 2013 4:05 pm

I already made an OD-1 4558. It's ok sounding. I do have a 14 pin breadboarded and ready for solder. It's a completely different sound, very recognizable with some familiar late 70s bands recordings. I'm so glad I don't have to fabricate a PCB now.
bdhact1
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby byoc » Sun May 26, 2013 10:36 am

If the later version OD-1 is what you're after, you can just use any of the readily available tubescreamer PCBs. You just need to make a few component value changes and omit the parts that make up the tone control.

There's really no difference between the earlier version and the later version with regards to where the actual distortion happens. The difference is that the later version used 2 inverting discrete transistor buffers and the earlier version used two non-inverting op amp buffers.
byoc
welcome
welcome

Postby TI4-1009 » Tue May 28, 2013 7:16 am

Welcome Keith- good to have you here! I built the BYOC Tweed Royal, great little amp.

-Mike (oldlefty on the BYOC board)
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

TI4-1009

Postby bdhact1 » Wed May 29, 2013 10:53 am

The other main difference in the sound are the capacitors, which are different values then the original and make the sound much thinner.

Analogman no longer replaces the Op-amp, He just replaces the capacitors now for his OD-1 mod.

http://www.analogman.com/od1.htm
bdhact1
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby byoc » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:40 am

Hi Mike!

That is true that the caps are part of the difference. The first version OD-1 had larger input caps which allowed more of the low end frequencies into the circuit. If you changed the input capacitor and the decoupling cap between the first buffer and the distortion stage, there differences between the versions shouldn't be that much.
byoc
welcome
welcome

Postby TI4-1009 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:43 pm

Just finished my first three BYOC builds:

They all sound very nice in their own ways. Really liking the Dist + breakup, and the transistor fuzz of the ToneBender MKII. And I found (like others) that the decorating thing can take on a life of its own :lol: .

The only problem I had was that they are all true bypass. Problem? When I have only one or any of these pedals in my loop I have volume drop and tone suck when bypassed. If I stick a buffered pedal in the loop with them the volume drop and tone muff goes away. It goes away if I use my Tiger with a buffer. I first noticed it with my tele- the sparkle and twang went away if the pedals were all bypassed.

I did some googling and find other people with the same problem, they all suggest sticking a buffered pedal or boost in a loop of only true bypass pedals. If I stick my Hotcake in there everything sounds fine when bypassed, and the Hotcake is dead quiet.

If your monitor cuts off the MKII try the photo tricks, I'll try and resize it.

On to the Divided Octave, Classic Delay, Phase Royal, and Tremolo kits.

TI4-1009

Return to Jerry Tone