ALL THINGS EARTH DRIVE

Re: ALL THINGS EARTH DRIVE

Postby gpilcher2001 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:46 pm

Here is my chain guitar> obel> weber super reverb kit in a head cabinet jerry mods> groove tubes d75> egnator tweker cab loaded with k120. I can run all guitar tube types in D75 except 6V6 and el84's. So far my favorites are the kt88 and the kt66. The kt88's are loud and clean way up on the dial. The kt66's have a good early break up. When I use the earth drive to try and warm up the kt88's it sounds pretty good bit not the same as the kt66's on the edge. It seems to me that the earth drive sounds best gooseing a hot power tube. I guess I'm after the best of both worlds. I like the super clean but want the edgy also. So my question is directed at Mr. Sarno, do you have any examples or settings you tend to go with based on amp type, tube type? Or favorite set ups and uses?
good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor.....
gpilcher2001
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby gpilcher2001 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:10 pm

Or anyone for that matter!
gpilcher2001
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby jeager » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:31 pm

I initially used my ED for big overdrive settings, I had no distortion pedal so that was it for the over the top kind of thing. Recently I picked up a cable and bread distortion which is way over the top evn on low gain settings and have taken the ED out of the obel and set it for low drive and use it all the time. I don't know if I'm bonding with the new dirt box so maybe I'll dump it and get a second ED for my high gain stuff. It so sweet sounding like that. Trouble is, I hardly ever go there. I am in clean or semi clean mode almost all the time.
"One man gathers what another man spills..."
jeager
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby gpilcher2001 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:01 pm

Try the ocd really versatile dirt box. I use mine for that higher gain thing. Sounds good as a bosst too but its always got some ki d of dirt to it.
gpilcher2001
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby ccw3432 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:20 am

Does anyone have any sound samples to share? If anyone's feeling up to it, it would be great to hear some audio through a Jerry rig with and without the Earth Drive engaged for comparison, or maybe some different settings on it. I've been holding out on purchasing one so far. The audio/video samples on Brad's website sound really great but I'd like to hear it doing the Jerry sound.
ccw3432
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby tcsned » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:25 am

ccw3432 wrote:Does anyone have any sound samples to share? If anyone's feeling up to it, it would be great to hear some audio through a Jerry rig with and without the Earth Drive engaged for comparison, or maybe some different settings on it. I've been holding out on purchasing one so far. The audio/video samples on Brad's website sound really great but I'd like to hear it doing the Jerry sound.

I've got this video. I was just in the process of putting some more recent stuff on YouTube, I'll see if there's something a bit better quality. I ran through a handful of different things but they're listed in the text at the bottom left. FYI - my guitar is using the middle humbucker for all of this.

tcsned

Postby ccw3432 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:54 am

Thanks tcsned. That was fast.
ccw3432
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby ccw3432 » Mon May 20, 2013 11:28 pm

Just placed my order. Can't wait!!!
ccw3432
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby shadowboxer » Tue May 21, 2013 11:05 am

To tcsned, I like the sound that you're getting in the video. Is that a Super 2 in full humbucker mode with no split coil during the whole video? And what kind of guitar are you using?
shadowboxer
Donna
Donna

Postby tcsned » Tue May 21, 2013 11:28 am

shadowboxer wrote:To tcsned, I like the sound that you're getting in the video. Is that a Super 2 in full humbucker mode with no split coil during the whole video? And what kind of guitar are you using?

The guitar came from a thru-neck that I got from Soulmate Guitars and a really sweet burled redwood top I got off eBay. My buddy and local luthier, John McKenna put it all together for me. The pickups are Duncan Stag-Mag humbuckers, in humbucking mode. I love the sound in hb but the single coil sound (which they are supposed to be good for) is a little lacking. Maybe it's growing up playing a Les Paul :-) it's a sweet guitar. I chose the Duncans because i have a former bandmate that owns a music store and got me all the parts at dealer cost and he was a Duncan dealer not DiMarzio. It's also a really nice video camera (JVCGYHD100) with a Rode NT4 mic. I inherited it when I left my corporate gig a few years ago. XLR inputs and a nice DA/AD converter.

Thanks!
tcsned

Postby wolftigerrosebud » Sat May 25, 2013 12:28 pm

I really enjoyed your playing, tcsned. :cool:
wolftigerrosebud
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby tcsned » Sun May 26, 2013 7:46 am

wolftigerrosebud wrote:I really enjoyed your playing, tcsned. :cool:

Thanks! I do my best to have fun with it.
tcsned

Postby gpilcher2001 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:58 pm

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the earthdrives input could handle the alembic preamp tap. As far as the impeadance match. Thanks Greg...
gpilcher2001
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby tcsned » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:27 pm

You could PM or call Brad, he's always been good about answering questions.
tcsned

Postby aiq » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:12 am

Like most I have tried several distortions during the last couple years, got it down to a MAxxon OD 808, a Wampler Brent Mason (the first one), and the Earth Drive.

The Wampler is actually 2 in one, very versatile but always seemed to sound a bit "sharp", prolly better in a hard rock sitch.

The Maxxon is nice and creamy and capable of some crunch.

But I have settled on the ED as it seems to be fat, crunch if you want it, and creamy.

Since it won its place in the chain have gotten some good comments.

Pretty settled on it. Or as settled as I can be... :?
aiq
Mickey
Mickey

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone