How does Jerry get those "flute" tones and how might I?

How does Jerry get those "flute" tones and how might I?

Postby Jon S. » Fri May 17, 2013 7:30 am

Apologies if this has been answered here before (if so, I can't find it). And I don't think I mean how can I emulate Jerry's rig here because I'm guessing he probably used a synthesizer patch (which I don't have access to and don't want to invest in at this time).

The best advice I ever got on this topic was from Splatt on TGP but, I'm sorry, I'm no David Torn (not even 1%!):

ebow.
ebow NOT placed directly over the chosen-pickup-in-use.
volume pedal, bridge pickup, tone ctrl rolled-down to some degree.
a clean, open amp-tone --- something that simulates hollowness, air.
i never use a pick for these kindsa sounds; i use the flesh of my RH fingers, in conjunction w/the volume pedal.

most importantly?
focus on the idiosyncrasies of flautistic phrasing, phrasing w/breath.

dt / spltrcl

So I'm looking more to some effect I can just dial in. (I use a Line 6 M13 but stand alone effects are cool, too, once I know what I'm looking for in that regard, I'm sure I can find something ballpark on my M13).

The tone I'm shooting for is the flute-like tone Jerry's getting on this video at say at 5:32 and (especially) 6:04 (at 6:04 it sounds like he might be using an octave-type effect + something else):

Last edited by Jon S. on Fri May 17, 2013 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Re: How does Jerry get those "flute" tones and how might I?

Postby hogan » Fri May 17, 2013 7:36 am

that's a roland guitar synth.
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby tcsned » Fri May 17, 2013 8:06 am

Yeah, he used a synth, I've used ebows but they're a different animal. Not really flute-like. One thing you might try is reversing your envelope filter to "yow" instead of "wah" - Jerry got a pretty flutey sound on some of those 77 Dancin' in the Streets.
tcsned

Postby Jon S. » Fri May 17, 2013 9:10 am

tcsned wrote:One thing you might try is reversing your envelope filter to "yow" instead of "wah" - Jerry got a pretty flutey sound on some of those 77 Dancin' in the Streets.

This is precisely the kind of practical suggestions I'm seeking! I'll try it.

Any more?
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby Jon S. » Fri May 17, 2013 12:51 pm

I might be onto something here:

A flute is essentially a tube that is open at both ends. Air is blown across one end and sound comes out the other. A spectral analysis confirms this. The harmonics are all whole number multiples of the fundamental frequency (436 Hz, a slightly flat A4 — a bit lower in frequency than is normally acceptable). Note how the second harmonic is nearly as intense as the fundamental. This strong second harmonic is part of what makes a flute sound like a flute.

http://physics.info/music/
Jon S.

Postby tcsned » Fri May 17, 2013 1:52 pm

Jon S. wrote:
tcsned wrote:One thing you might try is reversing your envelope filter to "yow" instead of "wah" - Jerry got a pretty flutey sound on some of those 77 Dancin' in the Streets.

This is precisely the kind of practical suggestions I'm seeking! I'll try it.

Any more?

I don't have access to the recording right now but I'm pretty sure the Cornell 77 Dancin' is the one I was thinking of. Didn't have the sustain that a flute can have but that nice breathy staccato flow of notes was pretty nice.
tcsned

Return to Jerry Tone