What are you guys using for vocal mics?

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

What are you guys using for vocal mics?

Postby Dozin » Tue May 07, 2013 9:47 am

I'm using a Shure beta and I'm over it. I think the mic is flat

I tried doing a search for vocal mics and the thread I found was from 2010. I'm looking for new input

thanks
"If you get confused,...
Listen to the music play"
Dozin

Re: What are you guys using for vocal mics?

Postby tcsned » Tue May 07, 2013 10:05 am

Are you using a Beta 58? I've used the Beta 87s and those are pretty decent. I'm currently using AT4055s - they're handheld large diaphragm condensers and are awesome.
tcsned

Postby mkaufman » Tue May 07, 2013 10:14 am

I have a Heil - I think it's the PR35.

It's made for noise rejection. It really helps minimize bleed from instrument amps located behind the singer. Once must be up close to the mic as it drops off quickly.

mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://advantech-ny.com/mik/advantech/DellComputerWarranty
mkaufman

Postby strumminsix » Tue May 07, 2013 10:27 am

I'm still loving my Sennheiser e945. Look at the curve. Gives a nice boost from 1.5k to 6k where vocals sit!

Compare that to Beta 58. Weird humps in the treble range and lots of proximity in bass which could sound like scooped and that's the exact opposite!
strumminsix

Postby tigerstrat » Tue May 07, 2013 10:48 am

Audix OM5

Had been using house or borrowed mics for many years and about 3 months ago I finally got around to purchasing one from a friend who was selling two different Audix mics. I had the opportunity to A/B an OM5 vs an OM6, and although the OM6 is more expensive, we both agreed the OM5 was the clear winner as a match for my voice. It's definitely one you have to be right on top of with your technique. I forgot to bring it to the gig before my last one, wound up using a 58, and I really missed my OM5.
Last edited by tigerstrat on Tue May 07, 2013 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby strumminsix » Tue May 07, 2013 10:58 am

tigerstrat wrote:Audix OM5

Good specs and I've enjoyed using that model as well.
strumminsix

Postby ricepr » Tue May 07, 2013 11:01 am

Beta 58 works for my voice and feeds back less than a 57/58. And sound men actualyy let you uuse it
ricepr
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby jkstraw » Tue May 07, 2013 11:07 am

I used the beta 58 for years and moved along to the Sennheiser e945 about 8 months ago. I am not going back :-)

Better response to both my particular voice and distance from the mic which leads to better dynamic control.

Of course I am always looking at the Telefunken M80 (and more recently the M81) but I have to try before I buy.
jkstraw
Jerry
Jerry

Postby jeffm725 » Tue May 07, 2013 11:14 am

Telefunken M80. Just tried the Telefunken M81 the other night too. Might like that better even. Also have a Sennheiser 935 which I love (but love the Telefunken more) and an EV N/D 767 which is decent for the price. Shure's, even the Beta's are good but don't fit my voice and singing style as well as the telefunken and sennheiser.

Oh, our regular sound guy has a few old (not newer) Sennheiser MD 421's. Once in a while when he is in a good mood he puts it up for me. LOVE that mic. The boys used it as a vocal mic for a bit in very early 80's. He puts a wind guard on it when he gives it to me now because he got tired of me spitting on it, but I dont like it as much then, so he has been withholding! Hence the Telefunkens!
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby tcsned » Tue May 07, 2013 11:29 am

Here's the reason I love the 4055 - that thing is near razor flat:
tcsned

Postby strumminsix » Tue May 07, 2013 11:52 am

jeffm725 wrote:Telefunken M80. Just tried the Telefunken M81 the other night too. Might like that better even. Also have a Sennheiser 935 which I love (but love the Telefunken more) and an EV N/D 767 which is decent for the price. Shure's, even the Beta's are good but don't fit my voice and singing style as well as the telefunken and sennheiser.

Oh, our regular sound guy has a few old (not newer) Sennheiser MD 421's. Once in a while when he is in a good mood he puts it up for me. LOVE that mic. The boys used it as a vocal mic for a bit in very early 80's. He puts a wind guard on it when he gives it to me now because he got tired of me spitting on it, but I dont like it as much then, so he has been withholding! Hence the Telefunkens!

Jeff, I keep looking for a used 421 for some 80s type Bobby vibe. But sadly I cannot find one under $300 locally.

You'd be remiss in your part if you didn't spit at times!
strumminsix

Postby jeffm725 » Tue May 07, 2013 12:59 pm

strumminsix wrote:Jeff, I keep looking for a used 421 for some 80s type Bobby vibe. But sadly I cannot find one under $300 locally.

You'd be remiss in your part if you didn't spit at times!

Haha, an unintended homage I assure you. Most likely do to the crappy upper partial I have to wear now. :oops: getting old sucks!!

You know, if you find an MD421 for 300, it might be worth it. Not more, but 300 would be fair if in good shape. They are great for everything, guitar amps, mic'ing toms, vocals...etc...
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby ricepr » Tue May 07, 2013 3:23 pm

jkstraw wrote:I used the beta 58 for years and moved along to the Sennheiser e945 about 8 months ago. I am not going back :-)

Better response to both my particular voice and distance from the mic which leads to better dynamic control.

Of course I am always looking at the Telefunken M80 (and more recently the M81) but I have to try before I buy.

yeah with the beta58 I do have to get close to the mic, but Thats OK with me. Unless the PA and my amp have slightly different grounds like at a local bar that is closed.
ricepr
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby Dozin » Wed May 08, 2013 7:19 am

Thanks guys. I was using the SM57A beta.

I picked up a Senn. 935 last night and I like it.
"If you get confused,...
Listen to the music play"
Dozin

Postby strumminsix » Wed May 08, 2013 9:20 am

Dozin wrote:Thanks guys. I was using the SM57A beta.

I picked up a Senn. 935 last night and I like it.

GREAT!

BTW, 57A very similar Freq Response as Beta 58.

Be aware that you've gone from a super cardiod to regular cardioid which means really 1 big thing: the monitor goes directly behind the microphone.

See page 4: http://en-us.sennheiser.com/downloads/f ... 9d385b.pdf

And that's why I also carry a 945 with me. Again page 4:
http://en-us.sennheiser.com/downloads/d ... 5bbaba.pdf
strumminsix

Next

Return to Everything Else