Really, can anyone actually nail this tone?

Re: Really, can anyone actually nail this tone?

Postby waldo041 » Thu May 02, 2013 4:10 pm

Yes, the highs would be more defined with a mic on the dustcap, but pretty much nailed!

This is how bacon is suppose to be! dayum - daYUM - DAYUM!

~waldo041
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby toddgardn » Thu May 02, 2013 6:44 pm

Here's a version of mine going through my Carvin neck through (w/ split middle super II) > Brad's Earth Drive > Brad's SMS > Mosvalve 962 > Beyma Liberty 1x12 > SM57 > mixing board > Zoom H4n

https://archive.org/details/IShallBeReleasedMp3

I keep going back and forth between the Beyma Liberty 1x12 and the JBL K120 2x12 cabs, depending on venue size. They're both sweet in their own right.

:-)
toddgardn
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Postby tigerstrat » Fri May 03, 2013 4:52 pm

The missing mojo: just coat all your connections and solder joints with flubber and your sound will TAKE OFF!
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby WildEye » Fri May 03, 2013 8:38 pm

I don't think I'm doing it right...

My guitar is all over the place, like a drunk man on cocaine....
WildEye
Mickey
Mickey

Postby lunasparks » Mon May 06, 2013 6:32 am

mijknahs wrote:Here's my latest attempt (to actually nail this tone). My guitar is not going through any additional amplification like a PA so you are hearing just the speakers (not a mic'd cab through a PA).

Sugaree:
http://ia801700.us.archive.org/0/items/ ... 7d1t01.mp3

First, your playing is great as always. Second, I suggest others give a listen to the the rest of the show below if interested. I agree with Waldo, while the audience recording loses some high end brilliance/fidelity, this is very awesome Jerry tone. Others may be interested in a deeper dive. I especially like the growl on the Valerie intro!

http://archive.org/details/trr2013-04-27.aud.h4n.wharfratjoe.124496.flac16

I just ordered an industrial-sized can of Flubber, by the way ... this is my next mod! :-)
lunasparks
Billy
Billy

Postby tcsned » Mon May 06, 2013 6:11 pm

Great stuff Jim! You've really got it down - jealous :cool: :cool: :cool:

Agreed, luna - that tone on Valerie kills it, very nice grit to it.
tcsned

Postby JustinJohn » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:02 am

I recently acquired an MC250, had my '71 twin modded for preamp-out, and played 3 shows - 2 shows on Friday 6/7: one at the Portland Rose Festival on a fairly large stage with a solid sound system and great monitors (with Pete B on steel!), Again on Friday evening at a local bar (small stage), and lastly on Saturday eve at another local bar - a total of 5 sets of GD. All 3 of these shows were the first "test drives" of my new twin/mc250 combo.

My immediate impressions are that it is a lot easier to get a solid-feeling pick attack than previously. In other words I have to do less work / use less effort to create a solid volume via my picking. Also there is a distinct "tightening" of the lower notes (5th and 6th strings below the 7th fret) - both feeling and sound. The notes created in this register 'pop' more, have more body and character, and have a subtle grit to them. Also there is now an overall feeling of slight compression that didn't exist before, like everything is being squished slightly - not in a bad way! ...it's more of a feeling than something audible; it goes with what I was saying before about having to do less work... It's cool and kinda feels easier to get the right "feel"out of the guitar - very fun to play!

The overall sound is really quite an improvement as well. The highs, mids, and lows all seem to have become 'juicier', and more 'present' - It took a few tunes to become accustomed to it... The highs especially have a crystal-like "jingle" to them that is a dramatic change from previously, and is one of the 'core' components of the Jerry sound I had been missing. Also the mids/low-mids have a certain tonal quality that is more 'tight' or 'pressurized', with that weird subtle compression... Again, 'very' Jerry. My effects reacted as expected. Everything fell in line with little adjustment (luckily!), and I find I can get that unmistakable 'Jerry clipping' simply by digging in hard and having the MC up loud enough, which fortunately, is not 'too' loud. I find that running the MC volume a bit hot, and playing very dynamically/lightly is the trick to much of the subtlety of the Mac.

All in all, adding the MC250 to my rig was a dramatic improvement in nearly every way. It was a seamless transition with little-to-no tweaking needed; everything fell into place effortlessly. The only difficulty worth mentioning (aside from carrying the thing) is with the reverb. I struggled a bit getting it just right - it has a different dynamic to it that i was not expecting - cant really explain it other than to say it 'feels' different...

I can honestly say that I was skeptical as to whether MCs were truly "all that"... Now, I have no doubt - at least in my limited experience with my MC250 and power amps in general - the MC is an absolutely critical piece of the Jerry puzzle.

(Ps - ill post some before/after audio/video clips soon)
JustinJohn
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:53 am

JustinJohn wrote:I can honestly say that I was skeptical as to whether MCs were truly "all that"... Now, I have no doubt - at least in my limited experience with my MC250 and power amps in general - the MC is an absolutely critical piece of the Jerry puzzle.

That evaluation seems like something of a leap, Justin. This is the first solid state amp you've ever used in this rig, correct?
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby mijknahs » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:14 pm

Justin,

I'm amazed how you put those tonal changes into words. I have trouble doing that.

This too has been my experience and I've been trying out solid state power amps since 1995 with my Twin and JBLs. I've tried Carvin, Crest, Altec, Rocktron, MosValve, and McIntosh. Only the McIntosh amps are satisfactory to my ears and I REALLY wanted to be happy with the lighter ones but they just didn't cut it.
mijknahs

Postby rugger » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:27 pm

mijknahs wrote:I've tried Carvin, Crest, Altec, Rocktron, MosValve, and McIntosh. Only the McIntosh amps are satisfactory to my ears and I REALLY wanted to be happy with the lighter ones but they just didn't cut it.

Were you unsatisfied with the lighter Macs or the Carvin, Crest, et al. you have tried? It was unclear to me.

john in san diego
rugger
Phil
Phil

Postby JustinJohn » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:38 pm

tigerstrat wrote:
JustinJohn wrote:I can honestly say that I was skeptical as to whether MCs were truly "all that"... Now, I have no doubt - at least in my limited experience with my MC250 and power amps in general - the MC is an absolutely critical piece of the Jerry puzzle.

That evaluation seems like something of a leap, Justin. This is the first solid state amp you've ever used in this rig, correct?

My experience is limited with power amps in general (5 or 6 over the years), and this is the first one Ive ever tried with my Jerry rig. With that said, I wholly stand by my conclusion: the Mac is, in my limited experience, a vital part of that unmistakeable Jerry sound. Dramatically so! There's no mistaking the change and resulting sound that happened when I went from twin>jbls to twin>mac>jbls... it is a profound change that was akin to suddenly finding 3 ot 4 missing pieces of a puzzle hidden under the couch, and suddenly getting a more complete picture.

But I hear what youre saying, and I agree that my experience is very limited when it comes to these things. I believe there must be other poweramps that can create a similar sound/feel/dynamic, and probably at half the weight.

=)
JustinJohn
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby mgbills » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:52 pm

There is a great post from Brad Sarno hidden in here somewhere. To paraphrase he talks about how a note "Blooms" when it's not compressed in the preamp. That unlocked it for me.

The tube Twin pre creates those Blooms. The Mc serves to bring more color & depth to the whole tonal arrangement.

B.S. - I know. But when I read his post, I'd just been playing with preamp compression in one of my Mesa's. When I returned to my SMS > MC ....it all made sense.
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby JustinJohn » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:57 pm

It would be awesome to have a get-together with all the NW folks (and anyone else for that matter!) bring all our rigs together and share tech and thoughts, have a Jam and BBQ!! ...Its summer time!

"Dead-Gear Expo North West"!!

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
JustinJohn
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby mijknahs » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:16 pm

rugger wrote:
mijknahs wrote:I've tried Carvin, Crest, Altec, Rocktron, MosValve, and McIntosh. Only the McIntosh amps are satisfactory to my ears and I REALLY wanted to be happy with the lighter ones but they just didn't cut it.

Were you unsatisfied with the lighter Macs or the Carvin, Crest, et al. you have tried? It was unclear to me.

john in san diego

Sorry. I meant that I was unsatisfied with the other amps (non-McIntosh). Some were just as heavy as a McIntosh and some were significantly lighter. I really wish those ligher ones sounded like a McIntosh!
mijknahs

Postby mijknahs » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:18 pm

JustinJohn wrote:I believe there must be other poweramps that can create a similar sound/feel/dynamic, and probably at half the weight.

I wish it were true.
mijknahs

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone