Weber Neomag

Re: Weber Neomag

Postby racecar » Thu May 02, 2013 7:38 am

Smolder wrote:Awesome racecar.

I wondered what a hemp cone would do for a neo.

Last fall I was going back and forth with Kimock he mentioned that he has a couple of D120's that were re-coned by A Brown Soun with hemp. Apparently he brings them on tour for high altitude gigs where other speakers tend to lose their low end. Living at 8300 foot, I've been tempted to send one of two dead d120's to them for a re-cone... just haven't done it yet.

I had the green TT, but did not like it much. The red alnico version, while it can handle fairly high wattage, works really well for low wattage amps. It compressed and sparkles very nicely.



You might want to try their H Bomb configuration, One 40/40 and one Red Alnico in the same cabinet. I felt the 40/40 needed some break in and after that period the speaker smoothed out and has gotten better over time. I believe hemp coned speakers need considerable break in time (I could be mistaken) . I have been very happy with the 40/40, but as with anything, it truly depends on the rest of the "food chain" and how each component interacts with the others. If you want something that sparkles,you are right, this is probably not the speaker for you. YMMV.

I have to admit, I am not very familiar with the NEO's. Is there a reason why many of you guys are using them? I need to get educated, I am clueless about this speaker.
User avatar
racecar
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:48 am
Location: Florida

Re: Weber Neomag

Postby strumminsix » Thu May 02, 2013 7:58 am

Jon S. wrote:I used to own one of those Rivera Concerts that I bought new in '83. It came with the EV stock. For clean tones, it was glorious but so f- heavy that when I moved it, the strap literally left a depression in my palm that took a good half hour to return to its usual shape afterwards. Today, I'd swap in a Neo 12-100 and keep it but they didn't have Neos that I was aware of in the mid-90's so I sold the amp.

That was EXACTLY it, Jon. Rivera Fender concert 2x10 w/EV's stock. Sooooooooooooo heavy. Tried to swap in Jensen Neos since the EV's werent' doing it for me but liked it less with the Jensens. Honestly, I think it goes back to the cab design as a wise one pointed out earlier. I recall hearing your tone and digging it so I'm sure that's the case!
User avatar
strumminsix
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6662
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:13 am
Location: Chicago

Re: Weber Neomag

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Thu May 02, 2013 8:31 am

racecar wrote:
Smolder wrote: I am not very familiar with the NEO's. Is there a reason why many of you guys are using them? I need to get educated, I am clueless about this speaker.

They are mega light compared to other speakers for one thing and we are old people with bad knees and backs
:-)
User avatar
Tennessee Jedi
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4223
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:29 am
Location: Bucks Co.Pa

Re: Weber Neomag

Postby Jon S. » Thu May 02, 2013 9:21 am

strumminsix wrote:
Jon S. wrote:I used to own one of those Rivera Concerts that I bought new in '83. It came with the EV stock. For clean tones, it was glorious but so f- heavy that when I moved it, the strap literally left a depression in my palm that took a good half hour to return to its usual shape afterwards. Today, I'd swap in a Neo 12-100 and keep it but they didn't have Neos that I was aware of in the mid-90's so I sold the amp.

That was EXACTLY it, Jon. Rivera Fender concert 2x10 w/EV's stock. Sooooooooooooo heavy. Tried to swap in Jensen Neos since the EV's werent' doing it for me but liked it less with the Jensens. Honestly, I think it goes back to the cab design as a wise one pointed out earlier. I recall hearing your tone and digging it so I'm sure that's the case!

Thanks for the kind words. In my case, I had the Rivera-era Concert in the 1X12 configuration with the stock EV. And I don't know if you ever tried this but I used to put a short cord in the tube-driven effects loop on the back with no effects and crank up the send and return, it was like adding another gain stage and warmed up the tone though the amp was loud to begin with and paint-peeling loud after that!
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
User avatar
Jon S.
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1440
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: Weber Neomag

Postby strumminsix » Thu May 02, 2013 11:13 am

Jon S. wrote:Thanks for the kind words. In my case, I had the Rivera-era Concert in the 1X12 configuration with the stock EV. And I don't know if you ever tried this but I used to put a short cord in the tube-driven effects loop on the back with no effects and crank up the send and return, it was like adding another gain stage and warmed up the tone though the amp was loud to begin with and paint-peeling loud after that!

Ahhh, the 1x12 could probably breathe in there where 2 10s could not. Nope, never did. Owned it less than 6 months. Too heavy and not my style of tone. But now I wonder :?
User avatar
strumminsix
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6662
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:13 am
Location: Chicago

Previous

Return to Bobby Tone

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests