Hope Bobby's okay

Re: Hope Bobby's okay

Postby gr8fulbluz » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:42 am

I don't know what inter-personal relationships they have but that was strange. They are professionals and it is their business but they seemed not alarmed. I just dunno. I mean continue the song to a point. You can start the song again or bring it to any early end, this deadhead wouldn't care. Was BW so 'Belligerent and Incoherent' no one could approach him. Feisty old man, I wouldn't mess with him.
I guess i think sometimes you got to cancel the show, it has been done before. fwiw, I am only 47 y/o. I just cannot see pushing my self to the point of collapse at this age forget about at his age 63(?). life is short enough.
trying to look on the bright side maybe there is a lesson to be learned, lets all take of ourselves and each other. :peas:
gr8fulbluz

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:57 am

eric wrote: Either way , I'm sure he ll be back laying some tasty licks in a just few days !

Lets hope so
Tennessee Jedi

Postby Jimaroe » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:23 am

Wow.. The fall and the reaction were both strange. "you know it's gonna get stranger, so lets get on with the show" I guess. I'm in the camp that the other ones were on at least some level "expecting" or not utterly flabbergasted by what occurred. Hence, the reaction. Who knows why or what transpired pre show? We do know this guy has been kicking ass and taking names since 1965. When those of us in the real world aren't at our best (or really bad) our f* ups don't occur in front of 10,000 people. I say, let's wait to see what develops before rushing to any type of judgement and hope for the very best, for Bobs health/well being.
Jimaroe
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby RiverRat » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:24 am

That is just a shame all around for everyone involved.

Give Bob credit, he is still trying to play even after he's horizontal.
RiverRat

Postby tumbledownshack » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:15 am

I heard that Jerry collapsed on stage at his 50th birthday show. ( Jerry Garcia band)
Does anyone know if this is true and how the band reacted?
tumbledownshack
Keith
Keith

Postby TI4-1009 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:25 am

Rampent speculation. Let's wait for some facts to emerge.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby tumbledownshack » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:32 am

John M Kadlecik: Bob wanted to play... if Phil, the crew & management couldn't talk him out of it, you think i have some magic power? This wasn't overpartying, btw, it was accidentally taking an ambien instead of a painkiller... the shoulder injury is real, & the white guitar just showed up the last couple of shows because it only weighs 3 or 4 lbs
tumbledownshack
Keith
Keith

Postby TI4-1009 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:44 am

tumbledownshack wrote:I heard that Jerry collapsed on stage at his 50th birthday show. ( Jerry Garcia band)
Does anyone know if this is true and how the band reacted?

Nothing about it here:

http://www.thejerrysite.com/shows/show/2030
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby Phil Lesh101 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:16 pm

Phil, JK, Joe or Jeff couldn't have done a thing about it, by the time Phil looked over 2 crew members had already had bob up. Stopping the song wouldn't make sense to me unless there was no crew that was already aware of bob's condition (One crew member had already came out once and told bob to sit down but he refused) Those guys were sitting there waiting for him to fall.
"I didn't ask them to misspell anything to prove their authenticity, but I believe they're legit." ~ Rusty The Scoob.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV9EGVZio2M
https://archive.org/details/DA2013-10-19
Phil Lesh101

Postby tcsned » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:44 pm

God only knows what the real reason, JKs story sounds plausible. While you might think that the reaction is strange, when you're up there in the middle of a song with thousands of paying guests stopping a tune isn't always your first reaction even if you care about the person who just hit the deck. There were people out there helping pretty quick, he may have seemed drunk before going on and they may have chalked it up to that and making a big deal about someone getting drunk and falling over is not always your first reaction.

I had a similar incident last summer. Had a bluegrass gig in the afternoon and played about a 3 1/2 hour set in the hot sun, roaded the PA and off to a bar an hour and and half away. Set up the big PA and played a two hour set. I had just been put on blood pressure mess and was still adjusting to them. After set break I was feeling a little light headed and right as we were about to start I blacked out for a second. About knocked my Mac off the speaker cab and went down for a second. I was fine, got up and finished the show much to the consternation of my band mates. Never happened before and thankfully not since. With all the partying I have done, I get taken down by something my doctor gave me :cool:
tcsned

Postby seamones » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:45 pm

Phil Lesh101 wrote:Phil, JK, Joe or Jeff couldn't have done a thing about it, by the time Phil looked over 2 crew members had already had bob up. Stopping the song wouldn't make sense to me unless there was no crew that was already aware of bob's condition (One crew member had already came out once and told bob to sit down but he refused) Those guys were sitting there waiting for him to fall.

Damn, i would less surprised if I woke up with my head sewn to the carpet than to hear me say this, but I agree 100% with PL101.
seamones
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby keirweir » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:48 pm

I'm sure Phil, John and the rest of the band are good people and wouldn't continue to play if they thought it was a critical situation. Based off the reaction i'd say he was wasted on pills, booze or a mix and they saw it coming. Is this similar to what happened (minus the falling) a couple years ago when everyone thought he was dosed or whatever?

Regardless, lets all hope Bobby gets better. He's playing and singing so well at this point, keep trucking!
keirweir

Postby Dozin » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:12 pm

"If you get confused,...
Listen to the music play"
Dozin

Bobby Falls at The Capitol

Postby Jerry1996x » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:48 pm

Truly a horrifying sight. Apparently he was exhausted (maybe loopy on pain meds) and just fell over. He was also having shoulder problems. I cant imagine what the vibes were like there.... probably pretty bad....

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/bob-weir-falls-onstage-during-furthur-show-20130426
Jerry1996x
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Re: Bobby Falls at The Capitol

Postby kansaschris » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:17 pm

I feel like Bobby is working himself a bit hard. Surely it's not about the money, I hope.
tangled in the window blind
kansaschris
tiger
tiger

PreviousNext

Return to Grateful Dead General Discussion