Mu-Tron III Backup

Re: Mu-Tron III Backup

Postby TI4-1009 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:12 am

This is intriguing- I googled garcia and envelope filter and got to Ed Beigel's home page, in which he says:

"If you want the original sound and circuitry of the Mu-Tron III, please buy either a used vintage original Mu-Tron III (and NOT the so-called "Mu-Tron III plus" Please) or better yet,

my own authentic circuit reproduction products:

The Q-Tron or Q-Tron+ by Electro-Harmonix

And please watch for announcement of a COMPLETELY NEW product based on the ORIGINAL Mu-Tron III, updated with features that surpass all my previous

"Mu-" product designs,and to be sold by

MY OWN NEW COMPANY"

The copyright at the bottom of the page is 2012, so it's not old information.

http://www.mu-tron.org/
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby cmc64 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:12 pm

Smolder wrote:@cmc64,

I saw one go for about that last night on the bay and was bummed I was preoccupied and didn't bid. But then you never know how high that would take it. Keeping my eyes open.

Enjoy the day, sounds like the stars are aligning.

The stars ALMOST aligned.

I picked up the guitar, brought it home and plugged in. Sounded great. I was pleased as punch. But then I noticed that the neck pickup was a bit "loose" - it did not seem to be be tightened down and was rocking back and forth. So I picked up the guitar and looked at it from the side and noticed that the pickups were all positioned very low in the body - not flush with the pickguard but close. So I got the screwdriver out and adjusted the height of the pups and plugged back in. Well, now the middle pickup works intermittently and all three have extremely low output and sound exactly the same. Also, when I turn the Blaster on/off or change the pickup selection (5-way switch) I get loud pops through the amp. The volume pot has also become very noisy. So back to the shop it goes.

I had the work done at a local shop in Pittsburgh that has a great reputation but I would almost rather not go back there. Does anyone know of a really good luthier in Pittsburgh?
cmc64
Billy
Billy

Postby Ddavis510 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:52 pm

@cnc64

Charlie Powers down in Morgantown is topnotch. Look up Guitar CPR. Not sure if their still in business. I left the area 15 years ago.

Just ordered my parts for my MeatSphere btw.

Dan
Ddavis510
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby ccw3432 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:30 am

TI4-1009 wrote:This is intriguing- I googled garcia and envelope filter and got to Ed Beigel's home page, in which he says:

"If you want the original sound and circuitry of the Mu-Tron III, please buy either a used vintage original Mu-Tron III (and NOT the so-called "Mu-Tron III plus" Please) or better yet,

my own authentic circuit reproduction products:

The Q-Tron or Q-Tron+ by Electro-Harmonix

And please watch for announcement of a COMPLETELY NEW product based on the ORIGINAL Mu-Tron III, updated with features that surpass all my previous

"Mu-" product designs,and to be sold by

MY OWN NEW COMPANY"

The copyright at the bottom of the page is 2012, so it's not old information.

http://www.mu-tron.org/

This is still in the works apparently. Check out his Facebook page (Mike Mu-tron). He updated this morning that he's working on it. It will interesting to see what he comes up with. I think I'll wait to see and maybe send mu qtron plus to the backup position.
ccw3432
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby pablomago » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:42 pm

Maxon AF-9. The original was licensed by MuTron. I have an original that I've sat down side by side wwith a real MuTron. The biggest difference is the Mutron runs on 18 volts, the Maxon runs on 9. As far as sound goes, the Maxon doesn't sustain the notes quite as long. Not something you really notice in a band situation.

They make a reissue, I haven't tried it, but from all reports it's good.

That's my $.02
pablomago
TC
TC

Postby Smolder » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:54 pm

I've never played a real Mutron III, much less a good one. I have spent the last few months bouncing between a Protron (which is a bit thick sounding) and an MXR Auto Q (which is a bit thin sounding). Just grabbed an all too expensive 1977 pale yellow MXR Envelope Filter and it's an instantly better solution. It's a bit more liquid sounding than Jerry's Mutron, but it's really easy and sounds closer to me.
Smolder

Postby cmc64 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:01 pm

Smolder wrote:I've never played a real Mutron III, much less a good one. I have spent the last few months bouncing between a Protron (which is a bit thick sounding) and an MXR Auto Q (which is a bit thin sounding). Just grabbed an all too expensive 1977 pale MXR Envelope Filter and it's an instantly better solution. It's a bit more liquid sounding than Jerry's Mutron, but it's really easy and sounds closer to me.

I am glad you got one. It is a great envelope filter. My Mu-III has a bit more depth to it and more sustain but the MXR makes a great second. My Mu-III is with Richard Lingenberg now and will be back to sounding outrageous in short order. Out of all of the non Mu-III's I have played, I like the MXR the most. When I kick in the Earth Drive I get that fall 1977 overdriven tone - very nice. Just doesn't have the sustain I am used to. Click on your Distortion+ (or equivalent) and play the little outro riff from FOTM (just before the Scarlet reprise). Still, great effect and cheers on scoring one!
cmc64
Billy
Billy

Postby Smolder » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:02 pm

cmc64 wrote:
Smolder wrote:I've never played a real Mutron III, much less a good one. I have spent the last few months bouncing between a Protron (which is a bit thick sounding) and an MXR Auto Q (which is a bit thin sounding). Just grabbed an all too expensive 1977 pale MXR Envelope Filter and it's an instantly better solution. It's a bit more liquid sounding than Jerry's Mutron, but it's really easy and sounds closer to me.

I am glad you got one. It is a great envelope filter. My Mu-III has a bit more depth to it and more sustain but the MXR makes a great second. My Mu-III is with Richard Lingenberg now and will be back to sounding outrageous in short order. Out of all of the non Mu-III's I have played, I like the MXR the most. When I kick in the Earth Drive I get that fall 1977 overdriven tone - very nice. Just doesn't have the sustain I am used to. Click on your Distortion+ (or equivalent) and play the little outro riff from FOTM (just before the Scarlet reprise). Still, great effect and cheers on scoring one!

The only downside is the lack of 9volt... I hate to drill into a 1977 rarity, so II'm building a clone to see how close it is. If it works great, if not, I'll put the guts of the 77 into the new housing and put the old housing in storage.

I agree... a boost (klone/ED/etc) helps all of them. Haven't tried with any sort of real distortion yet, but will. 77 was a real good year ; )
Smolder

Postby cmc64 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:49 am

Smolder wrote:
cmc64 wrote:

The only downside is the lack of 9volt... I hate to drill into a 1977 rarity, so II'm building a clone to see how close it is. If it works great, if not, I'll put the guts of the 77 into the new housing and put the old housing in storage.

I agree... a boost (klone/ED/etc) helps all of them. Haven't tried with any sort of real distortion yet, but will. 77 was a real good year ; )

I hear you loud and clear about the battery issue. Mine was rackmounted so the backplate has a small hole and there is one on the side near the input jack. So I just have to make it a little bit bigger. My issue is the Phase 100 and Distortion+. I have a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 Plus and I want to run everything from it. But the Phase 100 literally does not have a scratch on it. It is a Script and it looks brand new. It would kill me to drill a hole but I am getting very tired of batteries and unplugging the input every time I finish playing. What is even worse is the D+. It is a 1975 Script and I think the first run after the "BUD" box. The "Hand Built by Guitar Players" text is the exact same print as the Bud box version and the letters "D" and "i" do not have the space between them as the versions that followed. It has a few nicks but is in great shape (and out of the three I have it sounds the best). But I fear it must be done. It will make life much easier and cause less wear over the long term as I won't constantly be plugging/unplugging.

I have a backup Script Phase 100 that needs to go to Lingenberg for repair - it has already been drilled for a power cord so when I eventually send it out to be fixed I am going to have him do the Expression Pedal speed control mod. That will be nice. Interestingly enough, I have a 1977 Block Phase 100 that I got from ebay (it was 3AM and it sold for $61 - I couldn't resist! :smile: ) and It sounds fantastic - dare I say as as good (almost) as the Script?

Sorry for getting off topic there.
cmc64
Billy
Billy

Postby Smolder » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:01 am

Furthering the digression:

The block P100's are great, I had one for quite a while (I think it's on my local CL right now). I have a recent block 90 that's bright. The reissue script 90 I have is very warm and it's by far my favorite. I put a 9volt jack and an LED in it without hesitation. Where I play space is a huge issue.
Smolder

Postby cmc64 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:28 am

Smolder wrote:Furthering the digression:

The block P100's are great, I had one for quite a while (I think it's on my local CL right now). I have a recent block 90 that's bright. The reissue script 90 I have is very warm and it's by far my favorite. I put a 9volt jack and an LED in it without hesitation. Where I play space is a huge issue.

i do not need the LED's but the external power is a must. I'll get to it eventually. :-)

I haven't used the Block Phase 100 for some time. Maybe I will pull it out for today. I also have a Mu-Tron Phasor II and that thing is simply amazing. Lush and liquid.
cmc64
Billy
Billy

Postby pablomago » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:13 am

A lot of power suppys provide cables including one with a battery clip on the end. That's the one for vintage pedals. Hook it up to the internal battery clip and put the back plate on but don't crank down too tight all the screws. That cable will go to the power supply or daisy chain. No holes in vintage pedals. One Spot has 'em and I think T-Rex and the Pedal Power blocks.
pablomago
TC
TC

Postby ronnielongball » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:09 pm

I just got the Hartmann envelope filter two fays ago, Im still toying with it but I really like the sound
ronnielongball
Vince
Vince

Postby tatittle » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:37 am

I am lucky enough to have an original era Mutron III and I also find nothing I have tried gets me there.

Mainly I find a lack of sustain and/or an over-emphasized vocal effect. In addition to the Musitronics I have a Q-Tron (big box), Q-Tron+, Maxon AF-9, MXR Auto Q, and I have sold off a vintage MXR envelope filter and a EMMA's DiscumBOBulator.
It may be that the Musitronics lets more of the guitar's natural tone and sustain through...it is a less overwhelming effect than the others.

Bobby used the AF-9 for much of the best years of that era. It has an optical component like the Musitronics and indeed has a great character to it. It has the fastest decay of the bunch though, and related to that it is very sensitive to input strength. With my vintage style gear I need a compressor/boost or Buffer just to get enough juice into it. It has a really cool DOWN sweep (Dancin' In the Streets) which I cant match on my Musitronics.

The size and power supply on the Q-Trons become more annoying as time goes by, and the Auto Q is a great effect for funk rythyms includes a phaser type modulation.

I do not have any experience with all the new gear, and I bet many of the truly new circuits are terrific. Great demo of the Meat-whatever DIY project. Not sure I have the dexterity, patience, or time to build it but you only live once.....
tatittle
Jerry
Jerry

Location: NJ via Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Postby ccw3432 » Wed May 01, 2013 7:37 pm

Can't wait to see what it is exactly. Update from the Mike Mu-Tron FB page:

"THIS WEEK I WILL BE TESTING A NEW CIRCUIT BOARD FOR A NEW BUT STRANGELY FAMILIAR PRODUCT WITH

A NEW NAME
AND THE ORIGINAL "MU" MOJO INSIDE.

AS SOON AS IT WORKS IN A HOUSING, I WILL POST A NEW WEBSITE FOR PRE-PRODUCTION ORDERS, THE FIRST RUN WILL BE 100 UNITS, SIGNED AND CALIBRATED BY ME. M M-t

YES, YOU CAN TELL ALL YOUR FRIENDS AND SEND COMMENTS.

WE WILL MAKE AS MANY AS PEOPLE WILL BUY.

THE FIRST MODEL WILL BE AT THE "HIGH END" OF STOMPBOX PRICES, AND WILL BE AVAILABLE ONLY THROUGH THE "TO BE ANNOUNCED" NEW WEB SITE.
THANKS TO ALL WHO ASKED FOR A NEW PRODUCT, I HOPE IT WILL JUSTIFY YOUR HIGH EXPECTATIONS."
ccw3432
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone