sourcing parts for a Rosebud wired project

sourcing parts for a Rosebud wired project

Postby Ddavis510 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:38 pm

Hey folks,
I'm looking for switches and pots for a Rosebud build I'm about to start. I'll be building on this platform.Image
I built that one for a friend back home and its been so long since I built anything for myself. I've always wanted one so here we go. This isn't neck through but the neck tenon runs deep, clear to the bridge.

I'm going to set the neck at 22 as opposed to 19. That should give me the room south of the bridge so the OBEL and CB1 or some manner of preamp.

Honestly...I'm up in the air on the preamp does anyone have suggestions? cb1,cb2,stratoblaster?

I know its not a tradional 'Jerry' shape but I dig it.

Any help with parts or input on the preamp conundrum would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan
Ddavis510
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Re: sourcing parts for a Rosebud wired project

Postby strumminsix » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:01 am

Nice look! Sorta Tele meets Modulus meets Jerry meets Prince!

Check out the Waldo Buffer for your internal parts.
strumminsix

Postby Ddavis510 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:25 am

Yeah the gut I designed this for wanted a Tele-esque build. I loved the shape so well I decided I had to have one. I've been sitting on a some special wood for a while. I'm pretty excited to be starting this. I post some photos of the wood and sourced parts in the next week or so. The maple top is really nice. I'll do a carved top as opposed to the flat top on this.

I went to Wald electronics and thats a great sounding preamp. Thanks for that. Does that seem to be a consensus opinion around here?

Thanks,
Dan
Ddavis510
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby rugger » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:33 am

Ddavis510 wrote:I went to Wald electronics and thats a great sounding preamp. Thanks for that. Does that seem to be a consensus opinion around here?

Waldo is active on this forum and has earned a lot of trust and respect amongst forumites with both his product and his knowledge of Jerry's gear.

john in san diego
rugger
Phil
Phil

Postby Ddavis510 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:44 am

Thanks folks.

Any sourcing tips for NOS pots and switches?

Dan
Ddavis510
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby Ddavis510 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:19 am

as well has anyone went with a roller nut as opposed to a brass nut?
Ddavis510
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby TI4-1009 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:25 am

http://www.rukind.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=426&t=13209

Waldo buffer is the go-to around these parts. I have one in my Tiger.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby Ddavis510 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:10 pm

I got in touch with ScarletFire for the NOS components.
Ddavis510
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby jenkins » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:32 pm

The next guitar I get modded I'm definitely going with a blaster with an adjustable gain knob, IMO that's the best option. That gives you a UG buffer and the option of increasing your gain if you want to push your preamp a little harder for a little more dirt when you want it; I don't think it gets much better than that.

Wolf had a blaster correct? Did Jerry Ever use a blaster agan after wolf or did he just use the buffer?

In my guitar I went with just a buffer and it sounds great but I would love to have the option to boost my gain. Before I had a buffer I used a CAE line driver first in my chain to boost my signal throuh all my pedals, now that I have the buffer I have it set to about 7db of gain and put it on for clean solos where I want just a little more dirt. I want a knob on my guitar where I can adjust that gain so bad, that just seems ideal, you got your gain right at your fingertips.

Jmo and ymmv but it's something to consider putting in, I know it's not exactly Rosie but its a great option nonetheless.

And btw, I love the shape of that guitar, it's totally badass; shit will look awesome with a carved top.
jenkins
Billy
Billy

Postby Ddavis510 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:03 pm

I think its going to be a stunner as well. I'm going to carve the top and back. Parts are ordered through Leo. He's a great guy. A fount of knowledge and willing to share it.
Ddavis510
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby waldo041 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:07 pm

jenkins wrote:The next guitar I get modded I'm definitely going with a blaster with an adjustable gain knob, IMO that's the best option. That gives you a UG buffer and the option of increasing your gain if you want to push your preamp a little harder for a little more dirt when you want it; I don't think it gets much better than that.

great option for sure! just to let you know though, the blaster is NOT unity gain. with the trim pot set at zero it still has around a 3dB gain.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Return to Guitar Building and Mods