Update: all's well now in new rig land :)

Re: Thanks to y'all's advice, new rig is on path to better

Postby mijknahs » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:50 pm

I think my Avatar is the same size. I don't think they make that one any more. Mine is cube shaped with a half open-back. My 2x12 cab is about 15" wide and 13" deep. I actually had to cut it down (the depth) because it sounded bad. It was originally about 16" deep and I hated it. The shorter depth really helps.

Try the single E120 in your 2x12 cab with just the E120 hooked up just for experimentation's sake to see if the speaker cab is what is causing most of the extra (unwanted) mids. I think you'll love the way the E120 sounds in the 2x12 cab even if you are running only one speaker.
mijknahs

Postby Jon S. » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:45 pm

I'm far too lazy to pull one of the existing speakers from my 2X12, the JBL from my1X12, and install the JBL in the 2X12, just to run this test. I think I'd sooner just buy a less deep 1X12 and sell the Avatar!
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby mijknahs » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:56 pm

Jon S. wrote:I'm far too lazy to pull one of the existing speakers from my 2X12, the JBL from my1X12, and install the JBL in the 2X12, just to run this test. I think I'd sooner just buy a less deep 1X12 and sell the Avatar!

Well, look for a Mesa Boogie extention cabinet. Those work really nice. Completely different sounding from the Avatar.
mijknahs

Postby waldo041 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:02 pm

A partial or completely closed back will most definitely add mid and/or bass response.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Jon S. » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:29 am

Here's a shot of the back of my Avatar 1X12 before I swapped in the JBL.

And I have an email into Tracy now inquiring as to an SSP Quarter cab

"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby mijknahs » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:19 am

Exactly like mine but mine is blond Rolex.
mijknahs

Postby Jon S. » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:37 pm

mijknahs wrote:Exactly like mine but mine is blond Rolex.

I couldn't afford the Rolex upgrade on mine. ;)
Jon S.

Postby mijknahs » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:04 pm

Jon S. wrote:
mijknahs wrote:Exactly like mine but mine is blond Rolex.

I couldn't afford the Rolex upgrade on mine. ;)

I love my iPhone. It helps me spell more better.
mijknahs

Postby Jon S. » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:46 am

I hear you. I've been tempted to turn the spellcheck off on mine. It causes more trouble than it's worth. Especially with all of our music-related phrases it fails to recognize!
Jon S.

Postby Jon S. » Sun May 05, 2013 7:07 am

So, I've now been able to run the rig at "ensemble" volume 5 or 6 times and I've come to love it. So much so to the point where I'll admit it's crossed my mind to even sell my original SMS-RV300 rig (I won't - everyone needs a backup). The E120, in particular, has either totally grown on me or it's finally begun to break in (this was a true NOS JBL - from a new, upopened box, never before played). I'm also running the mids on my FYD just a tad below Jerry's settings - seems to fit the cab best.Thank you again to all of you for your appreciated suggestions and support.

:smile:
Jon S.

Postby mijknahs » Sun May 05, 2013 3:25 pm

Jon S. wrote:So, I've now been able to run the rig at "ensemble" volume 5 or 6 times and I've come to love it. So much so to the point where I'll admit it's crossed my mind to even sell my original SMS-RV300 rig (I won't - everyone needs a backup). The E120, in particular, has either totally grown on me or it's finally begun to break in (this was a true NOS JBL - from a new, upopened box, never before played). I'm also running the mids on my FYD just a tad below Jerry's settings - seems to fit the cab best.Thank you again to all of you for your appreciated suggestions and support.

:smile:

Awesome! So glad you're enjoying your new rig.
mijknahs

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone