Mu-Tron III Backup

Mu-Tron III Backup

Postby cmc64 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:50 pm

The time has come - I need to send my Mu-Tron III out to Lingenberg Sound for a bit of work. The power switch is failing and while it still sounds very good the caps are old and should be replaced. As it will be gone for approximately a month and I can't imagine going without it for that long I have been looking into other envelope filters. I have always wanted a backup for it in case of emergency and for bedroom playing so I don't have to tear my rig apart so this gives me an excuse to buy a new toy. I know the smart move is to just pick up another Mu-III but at the moment I don't have the cash. So......

After extensive listening to samples (youtube videos only tell you so much - they are limited in audio quality as well as the how the player, guitar, pickups, amp, etc... influences the sound) I think the 3Leaf Audio Proton sounds pretty close, but there are so many, and so many variables. I have never played through the bulk of these pedals so I have no idea how they actually perform in terms of response/sensitivity to pick attack and so forth. There are so many great E.F's available, vintage and modern - so if anyone out there has some firsthand experience with a particular pedal (good or bad) please chime in - I would like to make as informed a decision a impossible before pulling the trigger.

FWIW, I did have own a Qtron+ some time ago and I did not like it at all. Nothing wrong with it; it just wasn't for me.
cmc64
Billy
Billy

Re: Mu-Tron III Backup

Postby Adam Deckard » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:24 pm

I have an old qtron+ one of the big ones i got from Hogan and its fun but just nowhere near a muIII. The envelope just doesnt stay open as long as they good ones do. The proton is your best bet IMO. You will probably hear the same from those who have played through one however I have not but technique and other gesr aside the proton is the closest thing I have heard.
Adam Deckard
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby TRG » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:18 am

I've had a HAZ Mu which sounded Ok, a Proton which sounded better, but to my ears the original QTRON that I have sounds the best. Not sure if there's a difference gut wise, but I have the orgininal QTRON with the silver enclosure...not the newer black ones or the Qtron+.
TRG
Mickey
Mickey

Postby joethepainter » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:30 am

I have an early proton #183 that I got from a fellow rukinder that has a delay chip mod (which I believe is now standard in current models), and an early model silver big box q-tron, and I like the q-tron better, Jerry-tone wise. It's really whompy and funky. However, the proton tracks much better and is way more articulate on faster passages. I found the old q-tron on Phiily CL for 100 bucks years ago, it had an 8th st. Music price tag on the old wooden box, and that place has been out of business for years, so it's gotta be at least a mid-90's model. The drive and boost switches are real touchy, and honestly, it's not on my main board, the proton is. I've tried the q-tron+ and didn't like it. So, for me, it's a compromise. Although I dig the old q-tron tone-wise, I find the proton to be more than adequate overall...it's probably a lot easier to find, as well. Hope this helps...

Peace, Joe
joethepainter
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby Poor Peter » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:21 am

I came across a video on youtube not long ago of Bob demoing a envelope/ phaser made by pigtronix. He was playing Estimated on it. Although I never heard him actually nail the tone, he admitted that he liked it and needed to play with it some more. Maybe someone has some expierence with one of these.
Poor Peter
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby rugger » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:40 am

I have a Proton similar to what joethepainter mentioned--early serial, #200 maybe, with the mod to lengthen the envelope. I did buy the new model...just because, not that I didn't like the one I had. I can't say I spent any time trying to compare the two, so I honestly couldn't tell you which one is "better." Anyways, if your interested I would sell it for $135 shipped and pp'd.

john in san diego
rugger
Phil
Phil

Postby gr8fullfred » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:45 am

The Qtron seems like a good choice. It is what Barry Sless uses.

Good enough for Barry, good enough for me.

I also like the Boss FT-2, I realize that I am the only one who likes it, but it is a pretty good cheap little EF. Like Trey said, "it is more important to know how to use your equipment, than it is to have good equipment".
gr8fullfred
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby schmidtz » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:52 am

I have a thing for envelope filters, (but that's healthy, right guys?!) so I've tried most of them and the best thing I've found so far is the "MeatSphere" from the nice fellas over on MusicPCB.com

I've been through the old big box Qtron+, but I didn't like the size and 24v power supply, so I moved to an old Ibanez AF-9, but the envelope didn't stay open long enough for my taste, so I built the MeatSphere and WOWZA(!) it can do absolutely everything (perhaps too much...).

Another board I've heard good things about is the Nautilus from madbean... that's next on my bench.

Here are some shots of my MeatSphere build:

As you can probably tell, there are no knobs on the top row... I ordered the wrong size.
I did perform the Color pot mod by tying two lugs together... it made a world of difference.
If you have a few hours and want a really good filter, I would give this a shot. I would say the parts are about $100 total.
"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."
schmidtz
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:55 am

Right now I am using a original Q-Tron and like it fine ..... think it cost $100 used
I was using a Mini (or is it Micro? ) Q-Tron and thought it did a great job also .... they are like $ 90.00 new
If I had a MU and needed a backup I would get the micro Q
Tennessee Jedi

Postby PaulJay » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:29 am

The Mini Q sounds close enough for me.
PaulJay
Billy
Billy

Postby jackevorkian » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:15 pm

I had a Proton that I thought sounded almost identical to my Mutron. I sold it since it seemed very redundant to have both. The Jacques Trinity looks interesting. Based on internet sound clips, I've always thought the Maxon also sounded really good.
jackevorkian
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby myoung6923 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:58 pm

I have a regular Q Tron as well as a Q Tron+ and I definitely like the regular Q Tron much better than the plus.

Here's a clip with the regular Q Tron

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us

http://www.fennario.us
http://www.youtube.com/fennarioband
http://www.facebook.com/fennarioband
myoung6923

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:41 pm

Dag Mike !
That what was sweet .... great energy ... loved that ending .... '73 version with a double time-ish feel ???
Rusty was feeling it -Bob guys wangy bar stuff was killer
:hail: :hail: :hail:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby schmidtz » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:56 pm

I added a video on the 'tube showing the MeatSphere... the playing leaves something to be desired, but that's not the point of this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1feSfNg7oEo
"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."
schmidtz
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby waldo041 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:36 pm

Thanks for the info and video on the Meat Sphere! I know what my next project is gonna be!

Any chance you could pm or post me the part numbers you used for your build?

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Next

Return to Jerry Tone