A Jerry Mutron III

Re: A Jerry Mutron III

Postby TI4-1009 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:19 am

Kimock's post on Gear Page:

"Ok, auction's over. $4,550.00, not bad.
I thought it would go a little higher.
I have one of Jerry's Mutron's too, oddly enough.
Not for sale, but it still has the Skip's Music price sticker on it.
60 bucks, brand new.
For estimatin' purposes. :-) "
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby Jtgr8ful » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:18 pm

mgbills wrote:Anybody here get it?

That would be me :-)
Jtgr8ful
Vince
Vince

Postby Jtgr8ful » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:26 pm

tigerstrat wrote:I suppose that based on the photo, everyone will start using their Mutron in BP mode? :lol:

It's interesting in that I've owned several Mutron III's through the years and always stayed on LP; but on this one, using BP with Garcia's marked settings gives a very vocal wah tone that has a long sweep that almost comes back around again and rings at the end in a way that I've not experienced before. It sounds like alot of 1978 tapes I have.
Jtgr8ful
Vince
Vince

Postby jkstraw » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:35 pm

Jtgr8ful wrote:

Congrats man - that is awesome! I knew I couldn't compete but I am super excited for ya! That is a dream piece of kit! :cool:
jkstraw
Jerry
Jerry

Postby Dozin » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:36 pm

Have you compared it to another one? Did you ask Dan if he did any mods to that one?
"If you get confused,...
Listen to the music play"
Dozin

Postby waldo041 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:23 pm

some gut shots would tell us if anything is going on in there. but what i suspect is that the electrolytic caps are rotten and need a swappin.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Jtgr8ful » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:49 am

jkstraw wrote:
Jtgr8ful wrote:

Congrats man - that is awesome! I knew I couldn't compete but I am super excited for ya! That is a dream piece of kit! :cool:

Thanks, I'm sure thrilled to own it!
Jtgr8ful
Vince
Vince

Postby Jtgr8ful » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:59 am

Dozin wrote:Have you compared it to another one? Did you ask Dan if he did any mods to that one?

I did compare it with a friends original, as well as a reissue I have. It really smokes the reissue (no surprise there). Way more alive with a wider wah sweep that is more touch sensitive.
Compared to my buddies, the best way I'd describe it is more "lively". The same settings on his were more subdued and subtle; his gain needed to be higher to get similar dynamics. Also, for his LP was really where the sweet spot was; the Jerry one really shines in LP or BP. I've always mostly lived in LP in my previous Mutrons; on this one I'm really using both. I've only had a couple of hours to try it so far; I'm looking forward to really spending some time with it to evaluate all the nuances.
Jtgr8ful
Vince
Vince

Postby Jtgr8ful » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:02 am

waldo041 wrote:some gut shots would tell us if anything is going on in there. but what i suspect is that the electrolytic caps are rotten and need a swappin.

~waldo

??

Not sure why you'd think the caps were rotten; it's the best sounding Mutron I've come across in the 30 years since I got my first.
Jtgr8ful
Vince
Vince

Postby waldo041 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:20 pm

Jtgr8ful wrote:
waldo041 wrote:some gut shots would tell us if anything is going on in there. but what i suspect is that the electrolytic caps are rotten and need a swappin.

~waldo

??

Not sure why you'd think the caps were rotten; it's the best sounding Mutron I've come across in the 30 years since I got my first.

All aluminum electrolytic capacitors have a shelf life. The older ones, like the ones that will be found in any original musitronic effect, will be shorter then their modern day counterpart. In the auction Healy stated it was not modded and in the same condition as Jerry left it. If this is the case, the caps are around 30 to almost 40 years old, or about 2 to 3 times over their shelf life. If they have not been changed out, a few gut shot photos can prove this, then they should be. It is only a matter of time before they do give out and the sound of that box goes dead(no pun intended) or starts acting and/or sounding weird. 9 out 10 Mutrons can be repaired to new sounding simply by replacing these caps. unfortunately, you are stuck with this dilemma when that time comes, do you change them and have a playable but not as Jerry left it pedal?

opening it up and posting some good quality pics of the guts would be a most righteous thing of you to do, it can help determine a couple things for you as well as possibly provide values of components that may or may not be different from other units.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby TI4-1009 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:32 am

Congratulations! Very cool.

"do you change them and have a playable but not as Jerry left it pedal? "

That's the real dilemna- as the saying goes- "you can't have your cake and eat it too". I think if it were me, as long as it sounded so good I'd leave it as is until it didn''t sound so good any longer. Then have them bronzed. :-)
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

TI4-1009

Postby TI4-1009 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:23 am

Another ineresting post from Kimock on GearPage:

"Ok, the first question is kind of tough because there's every reason to believe that any two of those devices could be significantly different.
When I got mine, when they were wrapping things up at the studio after Jerry passed, I played a couple of them.
I think there was maybe a half dozen, some newer, some older, but Parish was nice enough to let me have my pick.
They all sounded and played differently enough that it wasn't hard to pick a favorite.
Anyway the point is that I had two old ones right there, same deal, same batch, Skip's Music $60.00 stickers still on 'em, and they were not much alike.
One of 'em was real clean, hi-fi, shiny sounding, quick and almost cartoonish in it's work, and the other one sounded like a f*cking light saber, so I took the more heroic of the two.

I wish I knew more about why they sounded so different, but I'm just chalking it up to normal production variation on a very complex pedal that's heavily dependent on player input.
Also they seem to be relying on the mechanical connections of the pots and jacks with the enclosure for their grounding, so that's gotta induce a little drift.
Another "tight is right" device.
So, they're kinda prone to being unique if they're any good at all. .

I've had a couple of the Q-Trons, they're a little more consistent, maybe, but they're also pretty fragile.
I've been through at least three of those maybe more, they don't last long on the road.

Wish I could be more help, but those are pretty idiosyncratic devices, and if you find one that fits your style, they're awesome, but you might have to hunt around a little. They're all a little different imho."

TI4-1009

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone