A Jerry Mutron III

Re: A Jerry Mutron III

Postby Pete B. » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:41 pm

He'll probably be able to buy a half dozen original MuIII's before it's over.
:cool:
Pete B.

Postby mgbills » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:53 pm

Yea with 5 or 6 days, he'll be able to buy a decent car.

It'd be a cool piece for sure...but that already 10 times what I paid for mine.
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby Pete B. » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:03 am

I wonder when/where this particular pedal was actually used by JG???
I wonder why it looks so hammered????
Pete B.

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:04 am

Pete B. wrote:The Boss Tone was likely used on Dirty Business ala New Riders.

Maybe, but Healy says he got it from JG in the Heliport days, which would have been 1967 sometime. So I wonder what, if anything JG used it for before gifting it.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby Pete B. » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:18 am

I notice on the back of that MuIII the name "Healy" is hand written at the top.

tigerstrat wrote:
Pete B. wrote:The Boss Tone was likely used on Dirty Business ala New Riders.

Maybe, but Healy says he got it from JG in the Heliport days, which would have been 1967 sometime. So I wonder what, if anything JG used it for before gifting it.

I can't find any pictures of Jerry using a BossTone.
I guess a good perusal of the Archives for that time period would be the next step... any notable distortion solos?
If Jerry used one for guitar it was probably on an SG or other guitar with the jack on the front of the body, I guess it would have fit a Les Paul but would seem harder to use (it wouldn't fit into a recessed Strat jack, or some Pedal Steel models that have a recessed jack).

Looks like they came out in '67 (in which case he may have tried it and quickly gave it away???):
http://tonemachines.blogspot.com/2011/1 ... -1967.html

Healy's BossTone is up to $400!
The only reason I know about this unit is that it is a unit used by Pedal Steel players, and to my knowledge, was made popular by Buddy Cage.
A good example of Buddy using it is the Pedal Steel solo on the NRPS version of "I Don't Need No Doctor".
The unit was designed to plug directly into the side of a Pedal Steel (or whatever instrument it could fit into, it doesn't fit all 1/4" jacks) so the user could adjust it on the fly.
As far as I know, you can still buy them brand new from a company call Mahoney, under the name "BuzzTone".
http://mahoneyguitargear.com/
[ebayitem]230944754253[/ebayitem]

Buddy with a BossTone plugged into his Pedal Steel during Festival Express:

Buddy Cage BossTone solo kicks in ~1:45:
Last edited by Pete B. on Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
Pete B.

Postby hawk900 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:29 am

waldo041 wrote:Dan Healy is selling it, the guy who modded most of Jerry's rig. It does not have the 90's rack mod because it was not the one used in his live rig, at least post aug 79.
Closing of Winterland new yeara eve 78 shows the gray knob in use as well.

~waldo

Special love the real NOS RCA tubes 127xlt followed up by and mammoth 7025 and au7 verb drivertube. Very interest flathead ajust table inside pots marked by another white dot. The searching through facebook with some of jer;s old pals. The said theyh had an MC3000 some model and a dead 2300.both with banana jacks and the 2300 had the 1ohm tap to fuel my 4-E-120's,both amps are dead but grateful I can telly u that..The twin was and board even carcked dead so I bought the twin breadboad off FB for 64-67 ab763.
You all know jerry's fav resistor is .22uf,mallory, pre tap were all there. No going back2 normal channel though. Only thing changed the I haven't found anywhere are the pots. way off. and bypss caps .01 on each . We all know what jer's fav volume pot is and I hard wired treb and bass to exact resistance,no brighness at all. Mamoth caps,Huge RCA tubes NOS two sets for back up. and I added a dwell pot on the bass hole Esencial for diff types of rooms. even dryway compared to plaster is a facter. One pre I saw had a soic hall reverb on it.
Now the mac2300. I took to an audiotech and we played exact tone note and into original. The one with banana jack 1ohmer spiked almost red with the slightest pick. The orig gradually spiked in treble abount a half inbelow the chart of the treble spicked 1. Allso the the taper off lowest I've evr seen gradually goes down to no sound. Original dropped straight down if you muted string. Bothe had the sentry removed. terrible invention. that block the spikes and doesn't allow full potential. Plus both were modded from Waldo's site info.. Now This sound ahaping is where my tech will find.
The pre is almost done and is L shaped due to reverb pan shinny gold gold NOS . I just put clamps on the tubes so the pre is horizontal to prevent tube loosening. . Inside pre birch cab in the L space will be my mxr's, boss eq's. mxr phaser. q-tron,boss OC-2 japan,no wah on jer vol pedal with spring remover all ran thru a tru bypass bass with push dpdt's for each pedal. for song pre selectable. and crystal clean.
Will post pics soon. We did a break down of FYD amp's ,Sarno very disappointed(non hand wired ,uses no soic's. no adjustable bias and one verb pre set, and the last one was the hughes ketner blues. FYD handwires there boards and uses no soic's. on adjustable bias.
Show ya the guts soons.
hawk.
hawk900
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby NWPines » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:24 am

hawk900 wrote:Special love the real NOS RCA tubes 127xlt followed up by and mammoth 7025 and au7 verb drivertube. Very interest flathead ajust table inside pots marked by another white dot. The searching through facebook with some of jer;s old pals. The said theyh had an MC3000 some model and a dead 2300.both with banana jacks and the 2300 had the 1ohm tap to fuel my 4-E-120's,both amps are dead but grateful I can telly u that..The twin was and board even carcked dead so I bought the twin breadboad off FB for 64-67 ab763.
You all know jerry's fav resistor is .22uf,mallory, pre tap were all there. No going back2 normal channel though. Only thing changed the I haven't found anywhere are the pots. way off. and bypss caps .01 on each . We all know what jer's fav volume pot is and I hard wired treb and bass to exact resistance,no brighness at all. Mamoth caps,Huge RCA tubes NOS two sets for back up. and I added a dwell pot on the bass hole Esencial for diff types of rooms. even dryway compared to plaster is a facter. One pre I saw had a soic hall reverb on it.
Now the mac2300. I took to an audiotech and we played exact tone note and into original. The one with banana jack 1ohmer spiked almost red with the slightest pick. The orig gradually spiked in treble abount a half inbelow the chart of the treble spicked 1. Allso the the taper off lowest I've evr seen gradually goes down to no sound. Original dropped straight down if you muted string. Bothe had the sentry removed. terrible invention. that block the spikes and doesn't allow full potential. Plus both were modded from Waldo's site info.. Now This sound ahaping is where my tech will find.
The pre is almost done and is L shaped due to reverb pan shinny gold gold NOS . I just put clamps on the tubes so the pre is horizontal to prevent tube loosening. . Inside pre birch cab in the L space will be my mxr's, boss eq's. mxr phaser. q-tron,boss OC-2 japan,no wah on jer vol pedal with spring remover all ran thru a tru bypass bass with push dpdt's for each pedal. for song pre selectable. and crystal clean.
Will post pics soon. We did a break down of FYD amp's ,Sarno very disappointed(non hand wired ,uses no soic's. no adjustable bias and one verb pre set, and the last one was the hughes ketner blues. FYD handwires there boards and uses no soic's. on adjustable bias.
Show ya the guts soons.
hawk.

WTF????
NWPines
Brent
Brent

Postby Poor Peter » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:50 am

NWPines wrote:
hawk900 wrote:Special love the real NOS RCA tubes 127xlt followed up by and mammoth 7025 and au7 verb drivertube. Very interest flathead ajust table inside pots marked by another white dot. The searching through facebook with some of jer;s old pals. The said theyh had an MC3000 some model and a dead 2300.both with banana jacks and the 2300 had the 1ohm tap to fuel my 4-E-120's,both amps are dead but grateful I can telly u that..The twin was and board even carcked dead so I bought the twin breadboad off FB for 64-67 ab763.
Show ya the guts soons.
hawk.

WTF????

Glad you said it first.
Poor Peter
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby JonnyBoy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:35 pm

I think hawk is French Canadian with English as a second language, also he said he had cancer and was on fentanyl, hope your doing ok hawk, but I have to agree that post made no fucking sense.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:47 pm

It was difficult in several spots but I got the main ideas of Hawk's post. Looking forward to seeing the pics of this new L-shaped unit!
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby barefootdave » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:05 pm

Been wanting one of those spring removers myself. Let us know how that turns out.
Barefoot Dave
"His job is too shed light, not to master"
barefootdave
Billy
Billy

Postby TI4-1009 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:20 am

NWPines wrote:
Show ya the guts soons.
hawk.

WTF????

You have to read Kerouac to get it 8)
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:15 pm

TI4-1009 wrote:
NWPines wrote:
Show ya the guts soons.
hawk.

WTF????

You have to read Kerouac to get it 8)

or James Joyce!
tigerstrat

Postby jkstraw » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:06 pm

and sold for $4550
jkstraw
Jerry
Jerry

Postby mgbills » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:22 pm

Anybody here get it?
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills