STFU while Bobby is playing

Re: STFU while Bobby is playing

Postby ebick » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:13 pm

One of the more recent shows I went to was Tom Petty here in Orlando. I was amazed.....sitting next to me were a couple about my age (which is closing in on 50). The guy was trashed......stinkin' drunk, and talking talking talking......until finally (thankfully) he past out (and stayed that way for just about all of Petty's set).

Really?

It's like grow up already. Holy smokes!
Ed

First Show - 5/5/77
Last Show - 3/28/93
ebick

Postby Dozin » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:37 pm

Yikes, not happy at all
"If you get confused,...
Listen to the music play"
Dozin

Postby NWPines » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:06 pm

Pretty sad that it's come to this. While some folks think what he did was totally unprofessional and not ok, I say right on Bob! (although Jeff Tweedy in the vid on page 1 did a more tactful job of getting the message across). Loud talkers at shows have bothered me for years, but it really seems to have gotten worse in the last couple years (or I'm just getting increasingly cranky now that I'm over 40). I understand that people go to concerts for a lot of different reasons, but if your main goal for the evening is to socialize then go to a freaking bar. Just because you paid big $ for a ticket does not give you the right to do whatever you want and impinge on other people's right to hear the music clearly. So I agree with Bob on this one, STFU!!

</rant>
NWPines
Brent
Brent

Postby Phil Lesh101 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:06 pm

Why talk when you can dance man!
"I didn't ask them to misspell anything to prove their authenticity, but I believe they're legit." ~ Rusty The Scoob.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV9EGVZio2M
https://archive.org/details/DA2013-10-19
Phil Lesh101

Postby Phil Lesh101 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:19 pm

SHHH!

"I didn't ask them to misspell anything to prove their authenticity, but I believe they're legit." ~ Rusty The Scoob.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV9EGVZio2M
https://archive.org/details/DA2013-10-19
Phil Lesh101

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:54 pm

Knock knock:
"Who's there?"
"Interrupting Bobby"
"Interru-"
"STFU!!!"
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby myoung6923 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:13 pm

tigerstrat wrote:Knock knock:
"Who's there?"
"Interrupting Bobby"
"Interru-"
"STFU!!!"

Hahaha!!!!!!!

:lol:
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us

http://www.fennario.us
http://www.youtube.com/fennarioband
http://www.facebook.com/fennarioband
myoung6923

Postby darkstar74 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:37 pm

Of course these people aint embarresed for making bobby do that.they're drunk.And their idiots who should have stayed in their living room.
darkstar74
tiger
tiger

Postby Dozin » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:01 pm

That's what happens when you play in a bar, the same bar over and over again. People get use to it and they stop appreciating the music as attentively as if it were the first time. West cost, San Franciscans are spoiled right now with Sweetwater and Terrapin Crossroads in their backyard. I'm sure this is built up on Weir's chest over time and he finally said enough is enough.

One thing is for certain, he just set the rule in those bars. The STFU rule is now in affect. It's a good thing for the many acts that play there and the people who really do come to absorb the music.

Bravo Bob for putting your foot down.
"If you get confused,...
Listen to the music play"
Dozin

Postby Grateful Dad » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:53 pm

I agree with Bobby. If you want to talk remove yourselves, go to the bar, lobby, outside or wherever to talk, away from those who are listening, singing along, and dancing. Respect the music.

Could Bobby have handled it better? Fuck yeah!

But he's only human!

:smile:
Grateful Dad
Phil
Phil

Postby jahozer » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:48 pm

Hmmm. Ive been both the talker and the shusher in my life. Most recently, I shushed a couple high school girls at Furthur right in my ear with OMG! Do you think he likes me??? blah blah. Once I yelled at the opening band for talking during Tuck and Patti at the Tin Angel in Philly. Very intimate setting with a very quiet performance.
But then I got shushed for 1 comment during a Robert McGuinn opener for Doc Watson. The dude in front of me turned around and shushed me as loud as he could in my face. It was really uncalled for, and I have to admit, he did not have a good experience after that...Of course I was completely silent for Doc...

Zappa used to routinely tell the audience to sit down, relax and enjoy yourself.

How far is the bar from the stage at Sweetwater? I dont know that I would be completely silent during a Knockin Encore. If they were right up at the stage that would be one thing, but I dunno. To demand rapt attention may be a bit overkill.
I think taliking is ok if its not disturbing the performer (as this obviously did Bobby) and if its not in bothering those around you. If its that quiet, you can talk quietly. But I guess the volume control gets wonky with more alcohol.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best.- the girl from the bus
jahozer
Bobby
Bobby

Postby WildEye » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:02 pm

Alcohol does mess with volume control (guilty as charged). But Bobby makes a great point and I hope the story reaches more ears. The saying "it takes a village..." is true and I think most of the offenders are unaware of what they are doing. Somebody quoted somebody this weekend on "tales" saying (to the offenders) "Hey man this is a really great song" and it was a great disarmer. I guess my point is that as audience members ourselves we can help make a difference without being dicks ourselves...
WildEye
Mickey
Mickey

Previous

Return to Grateful Dead General Discussion