Really, can anyone actually nail this tone?

Really, can anyone actually nail this tone?

Postby lunasparks » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:44 am

Listen to the show below through a solid system or headphones. Even better if you have a high quality download. Whether it's the Scarlet-Fire transition, opening of BEW, Lazy Lightning solo, Deal, Dew, anything really ... the tone is just so present and crispy, breaking up with a splat and blossoming out in an electric burst.

Does anyone think they (or someone else) is really nailing this kind of Jerry tone with their rig? If so, I'd love to hear clips (and get details on their rig :-) ). I'm set up great with Moriarty Wolf-->SMS-->MC2105-->2x12 E120s, don't get me wrong, but I still can't get this kind of dirty clean. Hunting the tone is going to drive me insane one of these days!

http://archive.org/details/gd1984-04-26.mtx.seamons.91809.sbeok.shnf

Other tones people love that are in this ballpark?
lunasparks
Billy
Billy

Re: Really, can anyone actually nail this tone?

Postby tigerstrat » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:12 am

Love it when someone posts a show I haven't heard yet. Thanks!! I'll let you know...
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby Jimaroe » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:23 pm

I just dug into the Loser and Scarlet-Fire. Wow. I can't wait to absorb this entire show. Thanks for posting.
Jimaroe
Jester
Jester

Postby Chuckles » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:27 pm

Awesome... My first show I dosed at! Goddam, it was a good one, and I hadn't listened to it in a long time... Thx for the post!
Seems like I've been here before...

The Road's Facebook Page (including links to tunage) is here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Road/ ... 200?ref=nf
Chuckles

Postby mijknahs » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:21 pm

This is about the closest I've gotten to "That" sound:

mijknahs

Postby lunasparks » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:59 pm

mijknahs wrote:This is about the closest I've gotten to "That" sound:

That's some mighty fine playing. Camcorder audio makes it too tough to get a good feel for the underlying tone, but I've been following your stuff and I think you generally are as close to getting that '84 tone as anyone I've heard! I may have to shake yer secrets out of ya :smile:

Was also just listening to the show linked below from a few days earlier and it's the same idea. Each note crashes and splats all over the place. Just listen to the intro to Roses. I NEED this TONE!

http://archive.org/details/gd1984-04-20.sbd.miller.103432.flac16

Yes.
lunasparks
Billy
Billy

Postby mijknahs » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:15 pm

Yeah, '84 definitely has that elusive tone. Sometimes clean and sometimes sizzling all at the same time. To me that's the classic Tiger/Garicia sound.
mijknahs

Postby LAfadeaway » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:43 pm

Check out Joe Martin's Shakedown Amps you tube vids. I'm confident you'll approve. All the best! 8)
LAfadeaway
Vince
Vince

Postby lunasparks » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:48 pm

LAfadeaway wrote:Check out Joe Martin's Shakedown Amps you tube vids. I'm confident you'll approve. All the best! 8)

Funny you say so...I've been in touch with Joe and we've been discussing this tone. I sent him the link to that show this morning before posting here, actually. And, yes, his amps are also right there in the ballpark--I think he's chasing pretty much this exact sound...
lunasparks
Billy
Billy

Postby waldo041 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:46 pm

this was the example i was going to use for "that" tone. iirc correctly you are using the mc2300 here. how loud were you?

check out Mik (aka tapestry) of the Garcia Project, as well as Zach Nugent of Cats under the Stars(east coast) for something similiar.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby mijknahs » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:15 pm

waldo041 wrote:

this was the example i was going to use for "that" tone. iirc correctly you are using the mc2300 here. how loud were you?

check out Mik (aka tapestry) of the Garcia Project, as well as Zach Nugent of Cats under the Stars(east coast) for something similiar.

~waldo

I have no idea how loud I was. It was outdoors and I it was pretty loud. It was a good mix with everyone else.
mijknahs

Postby cmc64 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:20 am

lunasparks wrote:
LAfadeaway wrote:Check out Joe Martin's Shakedown Amps you tube vids. I'm confident you'll approve. All the best! 8)

Funny you say so...I've been in touch with Joe and we've been discussing this tone. I sent him the link to that show this morning before posting here, actually. And, yes, his amps are also right there in the ballpark--I think he's chasing pretty much this exact sound...

I would have to agree. I have spoken with Joe about having my Mesa MK IIA head fixed up after the samples I have heard of his work on Twins and a Mesa MK I Reissue. The tone (to my ears at least) is very 1983 -> 1984 - certainly worth the time to take a listen - I was quite impressed.
cmc64
Billy
Billy

Postby lunasparks » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:03 pm

As luck would have it, I got together with Joe Martin today and we fooled around with some things. I don't think we have that 1984 tone here, but a few clips are linked below for fun! We called it a Boogie day and fooled around with his modified Mark I through my MC250 and then my MkIIa through my MC2105. The soundcloud clips are recorded with MD421 mic through ART USB DualPre into Audacity. There's some clipping here and there (my fault) but this should give a feel for the tones we were messing with :smile:

https://soundcloud.com/lunasparks/2013-02-24-marki-clean-thru-1

https://soundcloud.com/lunasparks/2013-02-24-marki-clean-thru

Nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon!
lunasparks
Billy
Billy

Postby LAfadeaway » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:59 pm

lunasparks wrote:As luck would have it, I got together with Joe Martin today and we fooled around with some things. I don't think we have that 1984 tone here, but a few clips are linked below for fun! We called it a Boogie day and fooled around with his modified Mark I through my MC250 and then my MkIIa through my MC2105. The soundcloud clips are recorded with MD421 mic through ART USB DualPre into Audacity. There's some clipping here and there (my fault) but this should give a feel for the tones we were messing with :smile:

https://soundcloud.com/lunasparks/2013-02-24-marki-clean-thru-1

https://soundcloud.com/lunasparks/2013-02-24-marki-clean-thru

Nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon!

Fully jealous!!! If only I were closer........ :hail:
LAfadeaway
Vince
Vince

Postby JustinJohn » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:10 am

I think Jerry was the only one who will ever really 100% nail that sound 8) ... but I can get pretty close to it some times.

here's a full show of my band from last friday 2/22/13 in Portland Oregon:

http://archive.org/details/GarciaBirthdayBand2013-02-22

stand-out sections for "that" tone: Get Outta my Life, Peggy-O(second-half of the guitar solo after second vocal section), Playin In the Band (the transition jam: some overdrive tone too), Harder They Come... Also, check out the shakedown>Train transition for something a bit different.. ;)
JustinJohn
Terrapin
Terrapin

Next

Return to Jerry Tone