General Dimarzio question

Chat about Equipment Info

General Dimarzio question

Postby sants » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:05 pm

I am looking at hooking up a strat I have until I can muster up the cash to get a custom guitar. My strat body has the big canoe cutout and I dont mind hacking it. I want to be able to get a good Jerry sound at times but more so want a nice clear, thick, and full sound from a humbucker. I like to play clean and also like jazzy and full clean tones. Also like to have heavy bottom end for some stuff. My question is how would a Super 2 or super distortion work for me? I would run s/h/h or h/h/h. Haven't made up my mind yet.

I am just looking to run the pickups with coil taps for now and not going all out on the electronics yet.

I really like the sound of the gibson 57 bucker because it is nice and clear and sounds great when rolling back the volume. Will the super distortion or super 2 get me what I am looking for. I know the gibson is alnico and the tone will be different but really like the biting cleans of the dimarzios.

That being said which dimarzio do I want?
sants
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Re: General Dimarzio question

Postby playingdead » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:33 pm

I would put a Super 2 in the middle position, and the humbucker of your choice in the bridge.

My new guitar has a Lollar Imperial in the bridge, which I like a lot, and the Super 2 in the middle just for the Jerry stuff. No rule says they have to match.

In fact, my neck pickup is a single-spaced Duncan Lil '59, which is actually a mini humbucker based on a PAF. It sounds really good in that position, better than I expected. Going that route, I was able to stay SHH but still have a splittable humbucker at the neck.
playingdead

Postby JonnyBoy » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:14 pm

I chose the 36th annv. PAF's Diamarzio's and happy I did. Vic is right, almost all the Jerry you could ever use is in the middle pickup. I really like the PAF's.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:57 pm

Super in middle and the OEM pup set of Duncan JB & Jazz at bridge and neck is working out just fine for me on my Schecter.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby one eyed jack » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:23 pm

I am looking to do the same thing to my back up guitar which is a mexican strat....Will I have to gut the body to fit the Super2s in? Right now its sss, I haven't taken the pick guard off to look or been able to find anything online about the size of the pick up cavity in these guitars?
one eyed jack
tiger
tiger

Postby tcsned » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:03 am

In all likelihood you will have to do some routing to fit a hum bucker. It is possible that the guitar has a "universal rout" meaning that the cavity is pretty much hollow and can fit either single coil or humbuckers but for a Mexi I doubt it. Unscrew the pickguard and look, it'll be pretty obvious.
tcsned

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion