Sacriledge - Mods - a.k.a The RUKind/Tolkein Diatribe

Re: Sacriledge - Modifications to Known Jerry/Bob/Phil Mods

Postby Jon S. » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:55 am

Tennessee Jedi wrote:
Jon S. wrote: and I won't even repeat what they call Peter Jackson's movies except to say "heresy" would be a mild alternative. We folks here are mere pikers in comparison! :lol:

I saw the Hobbit and all I could think about was " thats not in the book !"
:D

Now this will be my last comment here on Tolkien. Many of the "extra" scenes in the first Hobbit move were created by Tolkien, just not in the Hobbit, specifically you can find them in the Appendices to The Return of the King and the Christopher Tolkien-edited Unfinished Tales. :D
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby mgbills » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:00 am

Ok. Agreeing to hijack my own thread. How many Tolkein freaks are on this board. I've probably read LOTR, Hobbit, & Silmarillian 20 times in 30 years.

And I'm know I'm a Whack-Job...but I thought the rest of you were way cooler than me.

BTW...if you have like Tolkein, and you've not read Little,Big by John Crowley...you're missing out. Takes 2 reads often to find the love. Just saying.

Peace
M
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:24 am

Nothing wrong with either the purist or the modified approaches IMHO. I'm glad we have people like Waldo studying exactly what Jerry did, otherwise we'd have no guiding light for how to either duplicate it or push it forward.

For me, it's all about how good of a show I can put on, my gear is quite a mish-mash but knowing what Phil used definitely helps me get into the ballpark.

And am I really the only one who's spent 2 or 3 years obsessing about John Kahn's various tones? Jerry's closest musical friend deserves some attention too! Still, I absolutely refuse to play music on a canoe paddle, so I have to find my own path. :lol: (hoping nobody took pictures of that one Sisters and Brothers encore :oops: )
Rusty the Scoob

Postby Jon S. » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:37 pm

Rusty the Scoob wrote:Nothing wrong with either the purist or the modified approaches IMHO. I'm glad we have people like Waldo studying exactly what Jerry did, otherwise we'd have no guiding light for how to either duplicate it or push it forward.

These are actually my sentiments, too - exactly! (Though I'm not sure waldo will believe me. :oops: ).
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby Jon S. » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:43 pm

mgbills wrote:Ok. Agreeing to hijack my own thread. How many Tolkein freaks are on this board. I've probably read LOTR, Hobbit, & Silmarillian 20 times in 30 years.

And I'm know I'm a Whack-Job...but I thought the rest of you were way cooler than me.

BTW...if you have like Tolkein, and you've not read Little,Big by John Crowley...you're missing out. Takes 2 reads often to find the love. Just saying.

Peace
M

I am missing out and I will read Little Big now that you've turned me on to it!

Huge Tolkien fan here. I first read the Hobbit and LOTR in 10th grade. Pretty much cut school entirely for 3 or more days to do it, I was so enraptured! Since then, I always re-read both at least once a year, every year.

Just before the first LOTR movie came out in 2001 - so I'm talking 2000, now, my daughter was 6 years old. I knew the movie would change everything and wanted her to have the joy of having experienced the book first, so over the course of about a year, almost every night, I read to her, out loud, the entire Hobbit and LOTR from cover to cover + Appendix A of Return of the King (also "canon"). It was one of my finest moments as a dad, wonderful for her and me, and I learned all kinds of new things about Tolkien's writing and the story I'd missed before, including how wonderfully poetic a writer he was (yes, I'd known that before but it's different when you're reading out loud).
Jon S.

Postby cmc64 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:54 am

Rusty the Scoob wrote:Nothing wrong with either the purist or the modified approaches IMHO. I'm glad we have people like Waldo studying exactly what Jerry did, otherwise we'd have no guiding light for how to either duplicate it or push it forward.

For me, it's all about how good of a show I can put on, my gear is quite a mish-mash but knowing what Phil used definitely helps me get into the ballpark.

And am I really the only one who's spent 2 or 3 years obsessing about John Kahn's various tones? Jerry's closest musical friend deserves some attention too! Still, I absolutely refuse to play music on a canoe paddle, so I have to find my own path. :lol: (hoping nobody took pictures of that one Sisters and Brothers encore :oops: )

I don't know, J.K. pulled some pretty decent tones out of that canoe paddle with a I can't remember which Fender head (I think) and the trusty MC2300.
cmc64
Billy
Billy

Postby Mr.Burns » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:47 am

I was under the impression Tolkien had done some re-writes of The Hobbit after he finished LOTR.
Tennessee Jedi wrote:I saw the Hobbit and all I could think about was " thats not in the book !"

Same here with all the Jackson films. Also felt a little irked that Tom Bombadil wasn't mentioned, in any film, IIRC. He was one of my favorite aspects of the story. While his importance to the plot of LOTR is arguable, he is one of Tolkien's oldest(first) inventions, and is quite enigmatic to this day. I always felt like he was his own story waiting to happen.
Mr.Burns
Phil
Phil

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:20 am

Mr.Burns wrote:
Tennessee Jedi wrote:I saw the Hobbit and all I could think about was " thats not in the book !"

Speaking of Mods .....
Frodo got the Nine Finger Jerry Mod in LOTR.
:-)

oops wrong finger
Tennessee Jedi

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:12 am

This has got to be the greatest thread ever: On one side I've got PeteB. cracking me up with the baffled Deadhead psycho-selfanalysis (I wonder the same thing Pete!), and on the other, firm evidence of the existence of other Grateful/gearhead/Tolkien devotees like me! Currently reading LOTR (just reached the Chamber of Mazarbul in Moria) to my 5-yr old girl who loves it and keeps asking me to read from it once or twice a week... I think she mostly likes the voices I give the characters. It usually puts her to sleep after a few pages but sometimes I read until I'm hoarse. We finished The Hobbit about 6 months ago. Gandalf's voice definitely takes its toll...

Yes, Peter Jackson is the embodiment of the evil spirit of Morgoth, returning to rewrite the history of the Ring... and to replace almost every awesomely written line of character dialogue with goofy watered down crap. Please don't let him get his clumsy paws on The Silmarillion.

On-topic: All mods or non-mods are fair game if it sounds good to you and makes it easier to play well.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:28 am

Conspracy theory time: Peter Jackson. Blair Jackson. Coincidence????
Rusty the Scoob

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:39 am

cmc64 wrote:I don't know, J.K. pulled some pretty decent tones out of that canoe paddle with a I can't remember which Fender head (I think) and the trusty MC2300.

No doubt, I totally agree the tones were great, but I just can't see myself with the paddle on. I'm going to try and coax them from a bass that looks like a musical instrument instead, fitting with the theme of the thread. :peas:
Rusty the Scoob

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:46 am

a father's confession: Aragorn's voice is just my normal speaking voice.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby Mr.Burns » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:15 pm

waldo041 wrote:...people are gonna start chinese telephone...

Sorry to take your quote out of context, nothing but respect for you Waldo, but is this what "chinese telephone" means?

Mr.Burns
Phil
Phil

Re: Sacriledge - Modifications - a.k.a The RUKind/Tolkein T

Postby mgbills » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:17 pm

Alrighty Then...I modified the Modification Thread title to what it really is...

I also read them to my boys when they were 6 & 8 y.o respectively. It was the greatest parental trick ever, and I didn't know it at the time. It drove them to read avidly (something the school failed at). It drove them to D&D, which gave them a comprehensive knowledge of how to use data as a means to an end. And...they didn't end up as Cave Nerds. Eldest is in grad school, and youngest is a cabinetmaker/luthier.

So...there you have it.
Jerry Mod-Modification = Bad/Uninteresting
J.R.R. Tolkein = Good for All

Oh...and BTW ...Tom Bombadil is my life hero. The Lorax and Tom Bombadil provide life direction. I actually dressed as Tom for a mid-80's MSG run.

Peace
M
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Re: Sacriledge - Mods - a.k.a The RUKind/Tolkein Diatribe

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:40 pm

mgbills wrote:Oh...and BTW ...Tom Bombadil is my life hero. The Lorax and Tom Bombadil provide life direction. I actually dressed as Tom for a mid-80's MSG run.

Yes, Bombadil is the Bugs Bunny of Tolkien's universe: the omnipotent and omnipresent prankster god.
tigerstrat

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone