Pickup Selection

Pickup Selection

Postby Stella Bloo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:09 pm

All,

I have read so much about the split middle DiMarzio Super II and have that in my guitar as well as an SDS_1 neck and a Super II Bridge pickup in my Phiga Tiger. Does anyone use the other pickups and configuartions? I seem to solely use the middle Super II in split position exclusively. Am I limiting my Jerry tone and or guitar? Do you use any other configrations and if so, what songs?

Thanks
Stella Bloo
Donna
Donna

Re: Pickup Selection

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:18 pm

Tennessee Jedi

Postby TI4-1009 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:19 pm

That's the cue for Waldo and a string of YouTube clips :-)
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby jeager » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:41 pm

I have found myself using the middle pup in double coil from time to time though I'm not a Jerry tone purist ... I really like what it does with my earth drive... I also use the bridge pup in double coil for that china cat E solo bit and some other things. I put a lollar single coil in the neck and lollar humbucker in the bridge and use it them at times when I want something different, maybe a slow blues solo or something. I see no reason to limit myself... We play lots of Dylan and also tunes that Jerry never played but that he and bobby certainly could have ... Sometimes it's fun to step outside the box.
"One man gathers what another man spills..."
jeager
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:04 am

I have been experimenting when the neck pup when I have the OC-2 going ...
Tennessee Jedi

Postby jenkins » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:17 pm

Using just the middle pup in single coil mode is definetly limiting tonal possibilities for sure.
The beauty of having a guitar set up like Garcia's is the sheer tonal posssibilities that are now possiibe with the guitar. I tiigerized my LP DC and changed it from a one-trick pony that I didn't even like very much into a guitar with almost unlimited tonal possibilities.
Garcia's set up has everything from a strat to a LP and way more in between.

If you check out that other thread that is linked in this thread you'll see waldo's 'tutorial' if you will, on when Jerry used other pup configurations, which was fairly often. Cumberland he uses the bridge pup, whhich make sense, get a little more twang. He also used the in between bridge and middle combo for estimated, which I fouund very interesting. That's actually my second favorite position, bridge and middle blended. I actually have an SDS-1 in my middle, which I LOVE, and then i'll switch to the bridge/middle and it gives an awesome tone. Then often i'll put it on hhumbucker mode so i'm using middle single coil combined with bridge humbucker and it sounds awesome.

Garcia's guitar set up was genius if you think about it,, he wasn't stuck with a LP or a strat, he really had both in one, bestt of both worlds.

SO definitely experiment with the other settings on your guitar, I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised at the amount of tonal possibiliies lie within a jerry-fied guitar. I was absolutely floored at the range of tones that my LP possessed once I got it back from being modded. Went from a guitar that just sat in it's caase untouuched for almost 2 years to my #1 guitar overnight, and it's still my favorite guitar that I've ever played. I've never played anyone's custom tiger or wollf replicas but I'm ddying to play a Moriarrty, I have a feeling one of those is gonna school my LP-tiger.
jenkins
Billy
Billy

Return to Jerry Tone