NAD: FYD + McI + E120!

NAD: FYD + McI + E120!

Postby Jon S. » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:08 am

Two good friends died recently, one in August, the other on Thursday. Both were Deadheads and one a pro musician. Were they here they'd tell us, whatever you dream, do it now.

It'll be a while before I fire 'em up simultaneously (servicing for the MC50 1st) but I'll be in good stead until then with my SMS + RV300 + SSP 2X12 rig. :smile:

P.S. The radio in the background to the right is a c. '34 General Electric console (another weakness of mine).

"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Re: NAD: FYD + McI + E120!

Postby zambiland » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:55 pm

Sorry to hear about your friends. Nice gear! They look like they are in perfect shape!
zambiland

Postby mgbills » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:04 pm

Right On, Jon.

There is no guarantees on the number of our days. Think of your pals when you crank up that gear. Live well.

Peace
M
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby Jon S. » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:15 pm

Thanks, guys. And I really didn't mean to be a bummer about my friends. It's just that I'm really feeling now that life is short and making music is our mutual passion.
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby Smolder » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:17 pm

coolness, on all levels.
Smolder

Postby redeyedjim » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:23 am

I'm sorry for your losses.

Beautiful gear! That Fyd preamp looks gorgeous, as do the Mc and the E120. I hope they give you many years of enjoyment. :smile:
Dilettante - sounds nicer than "hack"
redeyedjim
Mickey
Mickey

Postby JonnyBoy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:13 pm

Looks awesome Jon. Man, I thought you would never switch from your rocktron/sms set up. I think though, you will find that small slice of Jerry in the macs that other amps don't have. Also, that pre looks so nice with the true spring reverb. I like the SMS reverb, but really like my fenders combo spring unit the most. Looks like you have a plethora el guapo. Happy jammin!!
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby gpilcher2001 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:39 pm

When you get it up and running sound clips please! Would love to hear the fyd. Greg...
good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor.....
gpilcher2001
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby waldo041 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:59 pm

what output coupling cap does the fyd have?

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Jon S. » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:09 pm

Sorry, I have no idea as to components at that level of specificity. Dan Lurie described the unit to me by email as follows, perhaps this will give you the info. you want: "The mods are the post-Alembic mods as discussed on the Wald site. The reverb is a tube driven spring reverb as Fender designed it. I used Mercury Magnetics reverb driver transformer designed to copy the transformers used in the 60’s. Simply, the circuit is exactly the same as a preamp in a Blackface Twin with the Jerry mods added. I did add an output level and a true ground lift to ward off ground loop hum if it occurs."
Last edited by Jon S. on Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon S.

Postby Jon S. » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:21 pm

JonnyBoy wrote:Looks awesome Jon. Man, I thought you would never switch from your rocktron/sms set up. I think though, you will find that small slice of Jerry in the macs that other amps don't have. Also, that pre looks so nice with the true spring reverb. I like the SMS reverb, but really like my fenders combo spring unit the most. Looks like you have a plethora el guapo. Happy jammin!!

Thanks to everyone and you for the kind responses. Hey, I'm not switching from anything, I'm adding a new option! :smile: And, frankly, I'm curious to experience a McI + JBL personally. I've heard a few such rigs and even played through a couple but as you know it's not the same as when you own it and take all the time you need to experiment with voicing it best for yourself in the variety of settings in which you play. I am truly quite happy with my current rig but, hey, even Jerry changed up various aspects of his rig now and then!
Jon S.

Postby strumminsix » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:24 pm

Sorry about your losses....

congrats on new gear and some lessons learned
strumminsix

Postby waldo041 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:55 pm

Jon S. wrote:Sorry, I have no idea as to components at that level of specificity. Dan Lurie described the unit to me by email as follows, perhaps this will give you the info. you want: "The mods are the post-Alembic mods as discussed on the Wald site. The reverb is a tube driven spring reverb as Fender designed it. I used Mercury Magnetics reverb driver transformer designed to copy the transformers used in the 60’s. Simply, the circuit is exactly the same as a preamp in a Blackface Twin with the Jerry mods added. I did add an output level and a true ground lift to ward off ground loop hum if it occurs."

the reason why i asked is... well you have your own ears and don't need any of my advice. lol.

just to set the record straight though, you're now closer then what Kimock actually tried. talked with him and he set the record straight, he NEVER played Jerry's actual rig, only an unmodded tapped twin into his own mc2300. same thing a lot of guys tried until the proper mods were discovered, and not many were too pleased with the results before then either.

good luck with the new rig!

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Jon S. » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:07 am

I think it's cool Lurie's incorporating into his FYDs the very Jerry preamp mods from your own web site, don't you? :smile: And thanks again for all your appreciated advice and ideas even if there have been some I've not applied. I'll ask Kimock about that quote, too, at the next show of his I'm at but it's time for a new signature line anyway, I'll give it a shot. And thanks certainly for the good luck wish! 8)
Jon S.

Postby Mr.Burns » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:34 am

Could we possibly get some close up photos at component level? I can see most of the guts in the pics on the FYD site, but I'm curious because I'm considering building something like this for myself and am trying to get a parts list together. I'm not quite bright enough to look at a schematic and layout and decide what parts I need, so I figured the pictorial layout was a good starting point. Unless somebody already has a parts list made up...
Mr.Burns
Phil
Phil

Next

Return to Jerry Tone