Questions on servicing a newly-bought, functioning McI

Questions on servicing a newly-bought, functioning McI

Postby Jon S. » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:23 am

So my first McI, an MC50, is incoming as I type. It's perfectly functional and in rather good cosmetic shape, too, but has never been serviced before so I want to have the unit gone over and the cord, caps, etc., replaced at the outset. I just got a quote back from a highly recommended shop for this work and, to be frank, it's quite a bit higher than I'd been expecting based on what similar work would run for, say, a BF Fender. So here are my questions:

- what's a reasonable rate for this type of work based on other McI owner's experience?

- what exactly should I expect will be done in connection with this type of servicing, and what not to expect?

- for other McI owners, did you "upgrade" your units' connections, either with 1/4" or banana plug jacks, as part of your servicing on your own units?

Thanks much.
Disclaimers: I'm happy to share whatever relevant gear knowledge or experience I have. Genuflection/payment/proof of worthiness neither sought nor accepted. I don't design, build, market, sell or endorse for pay any new music product or service. I occasionally sell personal used gear. I am an unpaid endorser of SoundScaper Productions and Godfrey Daniels Guitarworks.
Jon S.

Re: Questions on servicing a newly-bought, functioning McI

Postby mgbills » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:11 am

Hey Jon,

I had my Mc2100 serviced by Pat at http://classictubeaudio.com/.

I had 1/4 jacks put in the unit, and the full service was $325.00. Pots were scratchy, and intermittent.

Great guy. Easy to deal with. Really knows his stuff. He has a full service classic audio shop, and prefers to work on McIntosh's.

Don't know how that compares, but my 250 will go there in a couple of months. I told him I wasn't interested in a restoration, but did want the amp 100% to spec. For example, the bottom of the 2 of the 2100 face plate is broken. Doesn't bother me at all and didn't want to pay for a new one.

Hope this helps.
Peace
M
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Re: Questions on servicing a newly-bought, functioning McI

Postby TRG » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:01 am

Another thing I did to my 250 (in addition to the 1/4" inputs, recap, etc...) was swap out the 2 prong cord on my 250 for a 3 prong IEC inlet, so that I can just remove the plug when transporting and plug back in when ready. Been working great for me...
TRG
Mickey
Mickey

Return to Jerry Tone