Shakedown Amp = Updated

Re: Shakedown Amp = Updated

Postby oldsmojo » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:01 pm

Thanks Keir, Tom, Jenks and Mike...some info on that page and more clips etc on the way. To open that Fbook page I had to right click and select open link in new tab w my browser..I run Linux so may be ok in your case. I will be making all new clips soon as the iphone and android phone cameras I've used were ok but not the best I could do. If you "like" on facebook you will be updated when all these new clips show up. I will also be giving away free t'shirts to those who like and I like haha :) Thanks again.. ~Joe
oldsmojo
Donna
Donna

Postby keirweir » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:46 am

tigerstrat wrote:I actually listened to most of this show yesterday, all good stuff.

Keir, are you using a Mutron Octave Divider? Can't remember exactly where I was hearing it, but it didn't sound like stuff you can achieve with a Boss.

I'm using a Boss OC-2 for octave. I've had it for at least 6-7 years now. Its become a bit unreliable and sometimes tweaks out a little,I still love it though.

Also, I stand corrected on the distortion pedal. For at least 4 years I have mentally reffered to it as an SD-1 but in fact its the Boss Turbo overdrive OD-2r. :?

Thanks fore the compliments Tigerstrat! :smile:

Oh yeah, since we talked about this on Facebook here's Expressway To Your Heart (minus the Sax)

http://archive.org/download/FMF2012-12- ... _Heart.mp3
keirweir

Postby ccw3432 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:32 pm

These amps sound really awesome. I'm not an expert on amps, but would these or similar mods work on a Deluxe Reverb for a mini Jerry combo amp? Joe, have you tried your mods on a Deluxe Reverb or any thoughts on it?
ccw3432
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby oldsmojo » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:10 am

I have a 67 Deluxe ...I like them to sound very close to stock. Some added clarity and tightening up of bass and make sure the reverb sounds sick and thats about it. The tubes and speaker should be exactly how you want them so the amp sounds very vintage '67.Warm and blossoming. These things are a work of art from the day they were made as are almost all blackface Fenders. Nobody can really manufacture products of this quality today in large production..those days are over. The Garcia thing can be done up a bit yes but its best to go with an amp that will run 6l6's and actually deliver the clarity you need along with bigger transformers. any 2x 6L6 is the proper starting point for Garcia tone on the smaller scale.
oldsmojo
Donna
Donna

Postby LAfadeaway » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:00 pm

Just ordered a Jerry-modded Mesa Boogie from Joe after having some great conversations about what solution works best for me. Since I'm looking for as portable a solution as possible, the 135 watt head and 2x12 cab didn't work. He suggested I listen to his YouTube testing vid of a Mesa Boogie Mark one he modified - his personal gigging amp. It sounds great, and I mean great. Search Shakedown amps on YouTube and play the Boogie demo.

Joe is a great guy to discuss what you're looking for with, and how best to achieve "that" elusive sound. I cannot friggin' WAIT to play the Boogie, and I know it's a couple of months away before it'll be in my hands.

Bottom line is Joe is a very solid, longtime Dead tech genius that you shouldn't be afraid to write or call him. You'll definitely learn something, and you might even do yourself a big favor by so doing.

Mike in LA.
LAfadeaway
Vince
Vince

Postby cmc64 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:48 pm

LAfadeaway wrote:Just ordered a Jerry-modded Mesa Boogie from Joe after having some great conversations about what solution works best for me. Since I'm looking for as portable a solution as possible, the 135 watt head and 2x12 cab didn't work. He suggested I listen to his YouTube testing vid of a Mesa Boogie Mark one he modified - his personal gigging amp. It sounds great, and I mean great. Search Shakedown amps on YouTube and play the Boogie demo.

Joe is a great guy to discuss what you're looking for with, and how best to achieve "that" elusive sound. I cannot friggin' WAIT to play the Boogie, and I know it's a couple of months away before it'll be in my hands.

Bottom line is Joe is a very solid, longtime Dead tech genius that you shouldn't be afraid to write or call him. You'll definitely learn something, and you might even do yourself a big favor by so doing.

Mike in LA.

I have a Mesa Mark IIA head and while it sounds great, it is almost 34 years old and has never been serviced (with the exception of new tubes). It needs a bit of a clean-up. I have been wondering if Joe works on Boogies and now I have my answer, The youtube clip of the modified Mesa MK I Reissue sounds quite good - I will have to inquire as to what options are available.
cmc64
Billy
Billy

Postby LAfadeaway » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:44 pm

Very pleased my first post on this board was useful to someone! You can write to Joe at Shakedownamps@gmail.com Good luck.
LAfadeaway
Vince
Vince

Postby oldsmojo » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:39 pm

hey thanks Mike..it will be cool to hear you back out there doing ya thing and sounding good!...and yes I would love to work on a real mkIIa...big time! I kinda think I want to own one so let me know...dying to check it out. I had a IIb w eq years ago and it was a dog like most used and new amps i come across...they need a going over by someone who at least knows whats missing in the amp at hand! I wish I learned this stuff way back in mid 80's...I wouldnt have had to spend 10 years with a stock silverface twin!
oldsmojo
Donna
Donna

Postby jeffm725 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:48 am

joe... my mark 2a (nov 78) is out of service right now. If you want to work on it, lemme know you know how to get in touch
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby oldsmojo » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:45 pm

Hey Jeff...just ring me at 914 433 2634. I been dying to compare ours and get yours to sound better. Anytime...usually later is best.
oldsmojo
Donna
Donna

Postby Marleyboy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:33 pm

Ya joe is the man!He just did a bunch of work on my rig ,including some mods on my bruno cowtipper 45.
Marleyboy
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone