Treys HT Style Languedoc Cab

Re: Treys HT Style Languedoc Cab

Postby Yankee Tim » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:35 am

Trecia wrote:I saw this about the Classic Lead 80s on the Strange Design site too. I didn't get that from the video. I don't think we ever get a look at the part of the speaker that would say "Vintage 30" or Classic Lead 80." And I couldn't tell the cast color because it seemed too dim. Can anyone point to a time in the video where it's definitive? The two speakers look really similar except where the actual model label is. Would be really interesting to turn over this conventional thinking (v30s) about the rig. And what if there were to different speakers in there?

Well, it looks like I need to watch it like 400 times more now
Lol

Answers lead to questions
Yankee Tim
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby Jerry1996x » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:15 pm

One thing to look at too is the dustcaps. The Vintage 30s have a smaller one (like vintage fender speakers) and clearly you can see thats what the speakers in the vids have...
Jerry1996x
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby Yankee Tim » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:47 pm

Jerry1996x wrote:One thing to look at too is the dustcaps. The Vintage 30s have a smaller one (like vintage fender speakers) and clearly you can see thats what the speakers in the vids have...

V30's have a smaller voice coil and dustcap? They look the same.

I know, someone jump on stage and look. DOn't forget to say, "excuse me" tho.
Yankee Tim
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby zoooombiex » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:50 pm

zoooombiex wrote:Since we know they are 12" speakers, I would think you could get pretty close measurements with a little trig calculations just based off the pictures. But yeah, it'd be nice if we could get an official response.

I wonder if the speakers are recessed to make the front of the speaker cover even with the outside of the wood baffle? Though I would think that would only be useful/important if you had a flat cover going over the whole front, and I don't see any mounting/magnets for a cover.

Ha - guess we have an official explanation for the recessed speakers now in the rig video - a completely unintended accident. Good stuff! :)
zoooombiex
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby zoooombiex » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:00 am

Here are links to the official videos since the rips were taken down. All four members did videos, though Trey's is most in-depth

zoooombiex
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby zoooombiex » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:10 am

Trecia wrote:I saw this about the Classic Lead 80s on the Strange Design site too. I didn't get that from the video. I don't think we ever get a look at the part of the speaker that would say "Vintage 30" or Classic Lead 80." And I couldn't tell the cast color because it seemed too dim. Can anyone point to a time in the video where it's definitive? The two speakers look really similar except where the actual model label is. Would be really interesting to turn over this conventional thinking (v30s) about the rig. And what if there were to different speakers in there???

LOL and for what it's worth, when I was first falling for JBLs and I lived close to Merryweather I thought long and hard about bringing my 212 with a K120 and E120 to a Phish show and seeing if I could get someone to bring it back for a trial... but I wanted to see it again so... what could have been? I've been running JBLs and NeoMag in my mostly more Trey-like rig with great results.

Check out the official video, which is clearer. Of the two pics you posted it looks like the tan V30-ish frame, not the grey one.
zoooombiex
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby heady jam fan » Sun May 26, 2013 9:09 am

Hey wassup guys!

Long time Jam fan here, read stuff on this (great) site before and member on Strange Design - I saw a couple people mentioned the discussion we were having over there about the speakers!

Jerry1996 is right IMO - the V30's have the smaller (and more common at least for guitar speakers) dust cap size, while the CL80 has a notably larger dust cap.

I am currently using my Mesa MKIII and an Avatar 212 with an English V30 from Mesa and a Chinese V30 (the Mesa one is voiced a bit warmer). To me, it sounds more Trey-esce than a G12-80/CL80/MC90. I've also used a bunch of Celestion Blue/Gold type speakers, which are on the money when I used a BF'ed Fender SFDR, but warmer, smoother and a little less articulate than the V30 so they lend themselves better to Fenders, adding some compression, compared to Mesa's that are already compressed.

I don't have any housing insulation in my cabinet, though I've read that could tame a bit of the high-end. My V30's are broken-in, but not like Trey's, but sometimes I feel like rounding out the upper mids would be nice.

I am thinking about going back to a 112 with an EVM12L - a little bland, but very smooth, or trying a Fane AXA12 if I find one cheap - I think that will sound kinda like a mix of all the other speakers I mentioned, lol.

Anyway - here is a pic of the dust caps. The bigger one kinda tames the top-end and makes it less beamy. The CL80 seems to be a warmer speaker than the V30 off the bat anyway. I'd think it would be a good choice - I was thinking about picking up an old G12-80 or a Mesa C90, which are supposed to be better than a CL80.

V30

CL80
heady jam fan
welcome
welcome

Postby Jerry1996x » Sun May 26, 2013 12:16 pm

Whats up Heady! Nice to have you hear, (Deadicated Phan on Strange Design)
Jerry1996x
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby heady jam fan » Sun May 26, 2013 4:27 pm

Hey Phan!

Yea, I figured I might as well register on here too - I don't know nearly as much about the Dead's gear compared to Phish, but seems like a cool forum.
heady jam fan
welcome
welcome

Postby spacefunkologist » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:22 pm

Looks like Trey just got two new cabs to go with his Shiva....check out the vid from the Ed Sullivan Theatre.......Any idea what they are??
spacefunkologist
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby spacefunkologist » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:38 am

Other sources are now suggesting that he just painted his old Languedoc cabs black.....anybody know anything else about it?
spacefunkologist
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Previous

Return to Cabinets