DS-1, anyone?

Re: DS-1, anyone?

Postby JonnyBoy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:49 pm

It is hard for anyone to know what is wrong with a circuit, no matter what its doing, without testing the components inside until you find the culprits. Sounds like to me there is more than just a diode that is fried. Maybe even the diode you inserted fried again when you turned it on because of another issue? sooooo many variables.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby tigerstrat » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:05 pm

A Keeley Seeing Eye Mod DS-1 popped up for $30 on local CL, and I bit. Wound up playing quite a bit of last night's show with it!

Mine is unlike ones I see in image search results. By the diode toggle, it has two LEDs, red and yellow. On the Keeley site and other pics I've seen, it has a single red LED in that spot.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:26 pm

tigerstrat wrote:A Keeley Seeing Eye Mod DS-1 popped up for $30 on local CL, and I bit. Wound up playing quite a bit of last night's show with it!

Mine is unlike ones I see in image search results. By the diode toggle, it has two LEDs, red and yellow. On the Keeley site and other pics I've seen, it has a single red LED in that spot.

Now I understand two things. This is NOT a diode toggle, what it does is add a 2nd LED to the clipping section for less gain/more volume. And this pedal must have been modded from the Keeley kit and the guy decided to get cute by drilling an extra hole for the additional LED to peek through. It's visually rather neat, to be able to see these two clipping LEDs light up at each signal peak. I guess this makes it the "Ultra" mod from Keeley. Overall, it was an incredible deal for an excellent pedal, one which I didn't realize I needed until I tried it out on a whim.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby waldo041 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:04 pm

tigerstrat wrote:
tigerstrat wrote:A Keeley Seeing Eye Mod DS-1 popped up for $30 on local CL, and I bit. Wound up playing quite a bit of last night's show with it!

Now I understand two things. This is NOT a diode toggle, what it does is add a 2nd LED to the clipping section for less gain/more volume. And this pedal must have been modded from the Keeley kit and the guy decided to get cute by drilling an extra hole for the additional LED to peek through. It's visually rather neat, to be able to see these two clipping LEDs light up at each signal peak. I guess this makes it the "Ultra" mod from Keeley. Overall, it was an incredible deal for an excellent pedal, one which I didn't realize I needed until I tried it out on a whim.

actually, it is a Diode mod of the Light Emitting type.

nice score!

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:24 pm

waldo041 wrote:
tigerstrat wrote:

actually, it is a Diode mod of the Light Emitting type.

nice score!

absolutely, just not the symmetrical/asymmetrical silicon diode toggle I was thinking it was at first ( before I did any homework on it.)
tigerstrat

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone