SMS Reverb vs. Real Tube Reverb?

Re: SMS Reverb vs. Real Tube Reverb?

Postby waldo041 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:01 pm

claytushaywood wrote:does the SMS use the belton brick for reverb? those things are quite phenomenally realistic, I never tried one until recently when I built a reverb pedal using one, wow

my sms actually has one of these belton units in it. i have tried the stock reverb as well, both compliment the sms very well. i have actually inquired with brad a few months back about the ability to tap the sms reverb for use with other reverbs, maybe future models may include something like this.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Jon S. » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:01 am

Someone may have already posted on this but in case not, I found a page with instructions on building your own alleged (I lack the skill to say whether it's authentic) half-size Belton.

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/reverb.html

(large file - allow time to load) http://buildyourownclone.com/reverbinstructions.pdf
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby Smolder » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:12 pm

Jon S. wrote:Someone may have already posted on this but in case not, I found a page with instructions on building your own alleged (I lack the skill to say whether it's authentic) half-size Belton.

(large file - allow time to load) http://buildyourownclone.com/reverbinstructions.pdf

I've been thinking (for a while now) of building a 1x12 6v6/6L6 single channel ab763 combo. I've looked at the DIY reverb board as a replacement for a tank (no term btw)... gotta figure out how to convert the 3PDT to a pull pot, and how to get 9vdc from the circuit. Shouldn't be to hard though.
Smolder

Postby gpilcher2001 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:23 pm

Has anyone been fortunate enough to compare the real tube reverb with the sms reverb? If so maybe describe the pros and cons. Or possibly a few sound samples?
good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor.....
gpilcher2001
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby TI4-1009 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:21 pm

Jon S. wrote:Someone may have already posted on this but in case not, I found a page with instructions on building your own alleged (I lack the skill to say whether it's authentic) half-size Belton.

I think the BYOC kit contains the Belton reverb unit ("brick").

I'm currently building the BYOC tweed champ/deluxe amplifier from their kit- great learning experience for me on how an amp works. Excellent quality componants.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby milobender » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:27 am

I'm currently building the BYOC tweed champ/deluxe amplifier from their kit- great learning experience for me on how an amp works. Excellent quality componants.

I was lusting after that kit as well... you'll have to let us know how it goes. I've been really happy with the BYOC stuff.
Everything we know is wrong...
www.9mileskid.com
milobender
Jerry
Jerry

Postby mgbills » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:46 am

Is this the one from TubeDepot, or from the BYOC website?
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby TI4-1009 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:47 am

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/tweedroyal.html

Almost done with the build, have a 12" Weber ready to go in, they're just waiting for a tweed shipment from Fender so they can finish up my cab. The usual excellent BYOC instructions (unlike most other amp kits).

Sound demo here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxk3vOnVHpo&feature=player_embedded

PSA: there's a guy selling this kit on The Gear Page Amps and Cabs Emporium for like $450.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby gpilcher2001 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:30 pm

I thought this was a thread on sarno reverb vs. Tube works reverb lol! Theres an rt921 on ebay for $1200.00. If I had the money I'd get the sms and live withe the stock reverb. Greg...
good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor.....
gpilcher2001
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby calbucks09 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:56 pm

FWIW.... not a fan of the sms reverb. Got a holy grail nano and use the 'spring' setting. It sounds very similary to my fender amp reverb, although its still about 2% off.

I think its very much a matter of taste. Personally I'd say if you really like the real fender reverb you're not going to be quite satisfied with the SMS version. But many seem quite satisfied with it.
calbucks09
tiger
tiger

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:20 pm

I'm glad many of you are liking the reverb in the SMS. True it's not a spring emulation and I know it doesnt' work right for everyone. It is a medium length hall algorithm.

Fortunately, there are plenty of other ways of getting reverb out there. What's nice about having the reverb in the circuit is that it blends in parallel keeping the guitar's dry signal 100% pure-tube and the effect is blended along with it exactly like how a Twin Reverb blends the spring return back into the circuit. That topology is real nice when it comes to keeping the signal path all pure and minimal like Jerry's rig had it.

I've done a few with the Belton module, and I have mixed feelings about that one. It's actually a kind of trashy, low-fi, low-resolution module with some pretty pronounced splatty reflections, but that being said, when everything gets going, it's pretty musical and fun and springy sounding. It's a bit more slappy than Jerry's spring sounds, but it does get nice and wet. The module I use is designed by David Simpao using a fairly high grade processor and custom algorithm he designed. He was a chief designer years ago at Alesis, and has been running his own company for a few years and providing effects modules for amplifier makers. What I do is slightly brighten the send into his hall algorithm to go for a similar tonal voicing of a warmish fender spring sound, but it's definitely not a spring sound, it's a hall type. Seems to work ok for some but doesn't nail it for everyone. I find that with the Jerry tone settings and with everything dialed in, it's a pretty workable and good quality reverb for Jerry sounds.

Brad
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone