Places to get McIntoshes repaired or updated/upgraded

Chat about Equipment Info

Places to get McIntoshes repaired or updated/upgraded

Postby Jon S. » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:09 pm

I'm thinking here both repairing a non-functioning or damaged McI amp or just bringing it back to specs with new caps, etc.

I did a Search here and found some options in a couple of threads but no dedicated thread on the topic so thought I'd start one to see if there are additional viable options that were missed.

I know Brad Sarno has done right by many here updating and upgrading our McI amps.

One post referenced ctech-electronics-store (eBay name). Another referenced lionrr12 (eBay name).

And my salesman at my local high-end stereo store (which sells new McIntosh equipment and also Focal speakers which I bought and love 'em) highly recommends Audio Classics in New York.

But that's all I could find on my own.
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Re: Places to get McIntoshes repaired or updated/upgraded

Postby Smolder » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:32 pm

Hey Jon... replacing caps, transistors, and checking resistor values is pretty simple and something nearly any amp tech could do, though finding the transistors can be tricky. I did mine myself. For the most part the larger exposed cap cans can be rebuilt, but they are pretty sturdy compared to the others inside.

I spent about three hours reading every repair thread on macs here (a couple of great videos btw) and I spent about 90 minutes searching and tracking down code equivalents and sources for the transistors. I ended up ordering from mouser, as other suppliers are apparently in the biz of counter fitting them. Some of the hifi forums have a lot of information on these.

Most of the schematics are available online.

For rock solid diagnostics or to repair a non-working unit, (I think) you'd be best off finding an experienced mac guy.
Smolder

Postby waldo041 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:03 pm

"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby zambiland » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:48 pm

waldo041 wrote:Terry Dewick

http://www.mcintoshaudio.com/dewick_repairs.htm

~waldo

Terry is the man. There's also www.audioclassics.com. However Smolder is right, it's not rocket surgery. Mine were rebuilt by a local guy (Walrus Sound in Boulder CO) who said that he's done so many Mac amps he can do them in his sleep. However, he also said that my 2105 was the last of that variety he was going to do because of the weight! The work he did was inexpensive, quick and the amps sound amazing. I never knew MC30s could sound so good. They make my stereo sound 3 dimensional.
zambiland

Postby mgbills » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:21 pm

Pat Hickman. Classic Tube Audio. Vancouver, WA.

Excellent work. Cleaned up my Mc2100.

http://classictubeaudio.com/contact/

Peace
M
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby Jon S. » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:57 am

BTW, 5 minutes ago, my question moved from the theoretical to the practical - MC50 incoming! :drink:
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby Smolder » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:08 pm

Jon S. wrote:BTW, 5 minutes ago, my question moved from the theoretical to the practical - MC50 incoming! :drink:

Nice... I was watching, not knowing who was bidding of course. That one is cleaner than mine.
Smolder

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion