Building a Rack Rig- Opinions?

Chat about Equipment Info

Building a Rack Rig- Opinions?

Postby brutusbuck45 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:11 am

After having scored a Eminence Commonwealth and Seismic 1x12 cabinet off CList last week (traded Weber Cali + $50), I've decided to finally give up my combo and put together some rack mounted components.

I am working within a budget so Brad's SMS and an MC are likely out of the question. I've eyeballed several more affordable solutions on ebay, including the BK Butler Tubeworks Real Tube II (922) preamp, Mosvalve (962) power amp, and the Rocktron Velocity 100 power amp. I believe that I can obtain a pre and power amp for under $500 combined quite easily. I have certainly read most of the opinions on the forum about the power sections, but how about the Real Tube preamp? Do any of y'all have any experience with it? Tone quality? Worth a look? I like the idea of the H&K Bluesmaster (and Cream Machine) but its virtually unobtainable on most searches.

Also, I know there is so much discussion about the Axe FX. Vic's tonal achievements with it are outstanding. A lesser priced solution that doesn't seem to get much "airplay" is the Digidesign Eleven Rack. No, its not the same animal as the Axe FX, but does anyone have any experience with it? Is workable for Jerry tones? I have seen them on ebay for a much more affordable (to me) price.

Thanks for any considerations and input. Happy New Year from Sunny FL!

-Jeff
brutusbuck45
Phil
Phil

Re: Building a Rack Rig- Opinions?

Postby tcsned » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:40 am

I can vouch for the MosValve MV962 power amp. I use it as a back up to my Mac MC2100 and would be happy using it anytime. Got mine for about $125.

Haven't used the other stuff . . .
tcsned

Re: Building a Rack Rig- Opinions?

Postby Jon S. » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:15 am

I know this is easy to say but just as food for thought: life is short and a $700 preamp costs <$2/day over two years (I.e., sometimes it is cost-effective to stretch for the best).
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion