Jerry's OD 1 settings?

Jerry's OD 1 settings?

Postby gpilcher2001 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:12 pm

I have had this pedal since I was 13. I''ve put it in and out of my set up so many times I've lost count. Does anyone have good picture of the settings on the OD-1? Or how About example of what tunes he used it on? I haven't been successful at achieving any jerry like tones out of it even with an eq after it. Greg...
good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor.....
gpilcher2001
Terrapin
Terrapin

Re: Jerry's OD 1 settings?

Postby waldo041 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:11 pm

Appears around 11 O'clock for both Level and Overdrive. i have seen the level around 12 O'clock as well.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Smolder » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:33 pm

What is the yellow one above the EQ?
Smolder

Postby Coldshotblues » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:44 pm

It's another boss OD pedal in a different loop. I've had the best sound by matching the volume outputs from pedal off to pedal on with no "distortion" added. Then when I get the two to sounding nearly identical I add a little of the "drive" usually not very much at all. I'll do this with most of my pedals especially after setting up in a new room. Besides the knobs getting bumped during transit the voltage supplied by the wall will really effect analog pedal performance too.
Coldshotblues
TC
TC

Postby waldo041 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:21 pm

Coldshotblues wrote:It's another boss OD pedal in a different loop. I've had the best sound by matching the volume outputs from pedal off to pedal on with no "distortion" added. Then when I get the two to sounding nearly identical I add a little of the "drive" usually not very much at all. I'll do this with most of my pedals especially after setting up in a new room. Besides the knobs getting bumped during transit the voltage supplied by the wall will really effect analog pedal performance too.

that other boss is the boss od-2, which is in the same effects loop. although he did have the ability to create different loops, they are all inline in one loop.

also, an OBEL guitar allows for a consistent "set and forget" settings of the effect pedals. jerry himself is noted as saying that it is all repeatable from venue to venue.

a non OBEL guitar would have to adjust for each venue, and still need the guitars volume to land in the exact same spot each and every time if it is not used full on.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Coldshotblues » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:43 pm

Waldo will the OBEL allow set and forget even if AC power from the wall varies? I have noticed that I have very strong AC at our practice room my furman conditioner reads almost 120 and when we play at some places where it reads well below 110 my effects suffer. I do run with a power supply for my pedals instead of 9 volt batteries, and I do not have an OBEL guitar if the OBEL will cure my voltage problems I need to make some changes! one thing about this board is the knowledge of the members is truly amazing and the info is invaluable!
Coldshotblues
TC
TC

Postby TI4-1009 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:04 pm

Jerry could tell if the voltage was off, even with the OBEL.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby waldo041 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:05 pm

Coldshotblues wrote:Waldo will the OBEL allow set and forget even if AC power from the wall varies? I have noticed that I have very strong AC at our practice room my furman conditioner reads almost 120 and when we play at some places where it reads well below 110 my effects suffer. I do run with a power supply for my pedals instead of 9 volt batteries, and I do not have an OBEL guitar if the OBEL will cure my voltage problems I need to make some changes! one thing about this board is the knowledge of the members is truly amazing and the info is invaluable!

ac power, 110 or 120 volts, should make no difference in the performance of a voltage regulated 9 volt or even 12 volt power supply. your pedals power supplies are converting that 110 or 120 volts down to 9, 12 or even 18 volts and as long as the wall ac is not dipping below those voltages it should in no way be altering the performance of your pedals. plenty of voltage and current to operate them from the wall.

if it were your amp, then it would be a whole different story.

~waldo
waldo041

Postby gpilcher2001 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:38 am

Thanks for the picture waldo I was hoping you would pop in with one. Greg...
gpilcher2001
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby gpilcher2001 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:25 pm

Okay tried it out today with and without eq. I do recognize it now. Would anyone be willing to repost the boss pedal time lime again? I spent an hour searching for it today, no luck finding it. Is the od-1 in the line up before the switch to the trio? By the way what stands out to me is the walk up in slipknot. Definitely need the eq to tame the pedal it's pretty raspy!
Greg...
gpilcher2001
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby waldo041 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:01 pm

gpilcher2001 wrote:Okay tried it out today with and without eq. I do recognize it now. Would anyone be willing to repost the boss pedal time lime again? I spent an hour searching for it today, no luck finding it. Is the od-1 in the line up before the switch to the trio? By the way what stands out to me is the walk up in slipknot. Definitely need the eq to tame the pedal it's pretty raspy!
Greg...

here is a preliminary breakdown i have been working out. all years are +/- months, but are relatively close.

by the end of 1979 the Boss DS1 enters top shelf right after the Mu3 & MuOctDiv.

By 1980 That Boss DS1 gets moved from behind to in front of the Mu3 & MuOctDiv and stays there until sometime in 1982 when it leaves and the MXR Dist+ gets moved from the bottom shelf to the top before the Mutrons. no Dist/OD on bottom shelf, just phaser and Analog delay.

at the begining of 1983 the MXR Dist+ is moved back to the bottom shelf before the MXR phaser. briefly there is no Dist/OD on top shelf. but by the end of 83 the MXR Series 2000 Distortion + is placed before the Mutron. the series 2000 stays there until around 1987ish.

the Boss HM2 arrives and replaces the MXR Series 2000 Dist+ sometime in 1987/88ish. but by 1989 the HM-2 was replaced with the Boss Turbo OverDrive OD-2 and the MXR Dist+ was replaced with the Boss OverDrive OD-1.

The Boss OC2 enters in 1989 and in 1992 the EQ's are added to each shelf after the OD's.

~waldo
waldo041

Postby waldo041 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:25 pm

gpilcher2001 wrote:Okay tried it out today with and without eq. I do recognize it now. Would anyone be willing to repost the boss pedal time lime again? I spent an hour searching for it today, no luck finding it. Is the od-1 in the line up before the switch to the trio? By the way what stands out to me is the walk up in slipknot. Definitely need the eq to tame the pedal it's pretty raspy!
Greg...

with or without the EQ turn the guitars tone control all the way to bass side extreme. there are some more JG tones there as well with any of the od/distortion pedals he used.

~waldo
waldo041

Postby gpilcher2001 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:50 pm

Cool man thanks for the tips. I was definetly looking for the years he was using the od-1. I'll check some shows out. It would probably be safe to assume that the turbo was used for the more high gain tones. The od-1 is definetly not a transparent pedal. Its weird and cool what the eq does to it. I was a/bing it with the earth drive today two totally different beasts. The eq has a deffinet effect on the od-1 where as its way more transparent on the earth drive. Greg...
gpilcher2001
Terrapin
Terrapin

Return to Jerry Tone